Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citibank info required

citibank info required

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default citibank info required

I am about to or have in another post am looking into opening an westpac account in the uk and sort out when i get there in jan 2009 on validation.I have not too long ago opened a us dollar account with citibank for trips i do often to usa and dealings i do with usa etc.
I have read on this forum that i can also open an oz account,would they allow this having got a us account already and say i opened a uk one too, can i transfer between the uss one the uk one and oz one and be fee free and be atm free also.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citibank info required

Citibank has a presence in Oz but it doesn't seem to be retail banking. They have cheap transfers between Citi bank accounts in different countries.

You should call them about opening an account in Oz...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Citibank has a presence in Oz but it doesn't seem to be retail banking. They have cheap transfers between Citi bank accounts in different countries.

You should call them about opening an account in Oz...

Yes, Citbank do do retail banking. I have been banking with them for the last 6 months and have found them to be absolutely excellent, and couldn't recommend them highly enough. I have also just taken out a good mortgage deal with them.

They do offer fee free transfers between accounts held in different geographical locations, such as the UK, the US and India. But here in Australia it is the fee free banking that is the big draw. These include:

* No account keeping fees if you have your salary credited to your account
* Unlimited free transactions every month
* No ATM withdrawal fees, even when using competitors ATMs
* Free Visa Debit card linked directly to your account
* Free online and telephone banking
* Free cheque book usage

Take a look at www.citibank.com.au for more details.

S
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, Citbank do do retail banking. I have been banking with them for the last 6 months and have found them to be absolutely excellent, and couldn't recommend them highly enough. I have also just taken out a good mortgage deal with them.

They do offer fee free transfers between accounts held in different geographical locations, such as the UK, the US and India. But here in Australia it is the fee free banking that is the big draw. These include:

* No account keeping fees if you have your salary credited to your account
* Unlimited free transactions every month
* No ATM withdrawal fees, even when using competitors ATMs
* Free Visa Debit card linked directly to your account
* Free online and telephone banking
* Free cheque book usage

Take a look at www.citibank.com.au for more details.

S
So cause i have a usa dollar account with citibank will i find it easy to open another account with them for an australian account or have to go through the same methods as before with my us account.
Does one need to contact them in australia to open this account,or can they do it from within the uk,and can i contact them online through my account i have already?
Do i need to be living and be present in australia to get this account or can this be set up just like westpac and others do from uk and once over there collect my cards or id myself etc.
So if i was able to get this australian bank account open,what account is it i ask for,i would want online banking,telephone banking,a card with visa or mastercard logo on it so can be used for online purchases and maybe also a cheque book,but not important.
Whats the account called?
I believe that having this account you dont pay fees for using atm machines right,i take that is any atm machine?
Am i right in saying or asking that if you have other citibank accounts if it be usa dollar account,uk account etc you can transfer money around all accounts and not be charged fees to do that?
I want to look into this account if someone could give me some info on the above that would be great.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:52 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
if someone could give me some info on the above that would be great.
The someone who can give you some info on the above is a Citibank customer service representative!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

so what bank account is best with this bank for australia
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:30 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by brian.w
so what bank account is best with this bank for australia
Right, here goes...............as far as I know, you can open a A$ savings account at Citibank in UK (managed online) and use this to transfer money to in £ from any bank account in UK, it gets changed to A$ at current ROE on the day when it hits the A$ Citibank account in UK - no fees but I am not sure if it has to be linked to a Citibank current account to open it, you would have to check that.

You can also open a Citibank A$ account in Australia from the UK online, we had our ID documents verified by the Citibank branch in London to send to Australia to open the account. That A$ account can be a savings account or current account but you can then transfer money online from Citibank UK A$ account to your Citibank Australia A$ account - no charges/fees and it is received instantly in Australia. There is an online limit of around $10,000 a day I think but unlimited amount via their telephone banking but there is a charge for this.

You would have to check which account(s) in Australia meet your needs, they have current accounts and savings accounts with various fees depending on access you require and cards etc. Citibank allow use of other banks ATM machines in Australia to withdraw cash with no charge and their branches are listed on their website.

Hope this helps - good luck!!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FiP
Right, here goes...............as far as I know, you can open a A$ savings account at Citibank in UK (managed online) and use this to transfer money to in £ from any bank account in UK, it gets changed to A$ at current ROE on the day when it hits the A$ Citibank account in UK - no fees but I am not sure if it has to be linked to a Citibank current account to open it, you would have to check that.

You can also open a Citibank A$ account in Australia from the UK online, we had our ID documents verified by the Citibank branch in London to send to Australia to open the account. That A$ account can be a savings account or current account but you can then transfer money online from Citibank UK A$ account to your Citibank Australia A$ account - no charges/fees and it is received instantly in Australia. There is an online limit of around $10,000 a day I think but unlimited amount via their telephone banking but there is a charge for this.

You would have to check which account(s) in Australia meet your needs, they have current accounts and savings accounts with various fees depending on access you require and cards etc. Citibank allow use of other banks ATM machines in Australia to withdraw cash with no charge and their branches are listed on their website.

Hope this helps - good luck!!
Right so i open a uk one first then i can open a oz one too?this can both be done online?and within uk?,so when i am in oz next year in jan i can collect my cards etc.
i would want a account with no fees,but also access to online and phone banking,interest accounts dont bother me.
needs to be a card with say visa or mastercard so can be used also online for purchases as well.
Any links on the account i need and if i can apply for them online or if needs to be printed out and posted within the uk to open them both.
I do have an account with them but is a us dollar account i set up to use when in america etc.
need more info on all this on how to go about setting up both the uk and oz account as like the idea of being able to transfer money without any fees,but if not then at least want the oz account set up.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

foreveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura about

The chances are that you can do everything you have asked.

Why not take the simple option of calling Citibank in the uk where you have your account and asking them them your specific questions.

You will then be able to come back on your thread where we can all be educated by your answers.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank is of course one of the 9 major banks in the recently announced US package to rescue the banking sector. From memory it effectively will receive a $25 billion 'loan' from Uncle Sam which has to be paid back in 3 years or else the government becomes a preference shareholder in the bank (or something like that, the details are a little sketchy and the banks have until 14th Nov to sign up).
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

We sent off the application downloaded app form last Tuesday.

You need to go on the the OZ website to download it and then get your ID documents checked at a post office over here, post them and the customer service bloke said it would set up 48hrs after receiving them.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happens.

Oh and don't worry about anything happening to Citibank, I was speaking to a mate who is a financial expert who often appears on TV and he used the phrase "safe as houses", when I asked him about them. He said that nothing is guaranteed at the moment, but if he was going to Oz, that's where he would put his money.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lastone
We sent off the application downloaded app form last Tuesday.

You need to go on the the OZ website to download it and then get your ID documents checked at a post office over here, post them and the customer service bloke said it would set up 48hrs after receiving them.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happens.

Oh and don't worry about anything happening to Citibank, I was speaking to a mate who is a financial expert who often appears on TV and he used the phrase "safe as houses", when I asked him about them. He said that nothing is guaranteed at the moment, but if he was going to Oz, that's where he would put his money.

Where is the link to download the application,i take it i can print it out and say post to citibank in the uk to open a oz account or am i best waiting till i am in oz and set one up there,i not got a citibank uk account yet and would also want an oz one set up,as going in jan 09 and could collect my cards when there if needed or have sent to a oz address.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

You'll have to start the online application process, at the nd of which you'll be able to DL the forms.

The call centre gave me the Sydney address to post my application off to, so I'm not sure that the UK Citibank does that.

I didn't have a Citibank over here, so I'll let you know what happens today.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Why not HSBC - sorry may be irrelevant....Don;t they offer similar services?

Agree on the online transfer though. I have a citibank cash management AU account and I usually transfer money overseas (Citi account based in that currency)...I remember it used to take 2 days before (not long ago) for that transfer. But now, its instant!!!. I say yes to the transfer from here and I log in to my Citibank overseas account and the money is there!!

Regards to retail banking - yes someone says they have +ve experience but I wont bank with them for my retail products. Plenty of better products. + they are not based all over australia. Very limited branches......
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by E3only
Why not HSBC - sorry may be irrelevant....Don;t they offer similar services?

Agree on the online transfer though. I have a citibank cash management AU account and I usually transfer money overseas (Citi account based in that currency)...I remember it used to take 2 days before (not long ago) for that transfer. But now, its instant!!!. I say yes to the transfer from here and I log in to my Citibank overseas account and the money is there!!

Regards to retail banking - yes someone says they have +ve experience but I wont bank with them for my retail products. Plenty of better products. + they are not based all over australia. Very limited branches......
That's fine, if you need to have a branch near you, but we're happy with the telephone/internet side of things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.