Reload this Page >

Citibank or Bankwest??

Citibank or Bankwest??

Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

sussex2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citibank or Bankwest??

Hi all,

Looking to open up a fee free bank account - Citibank and Bankwest both seem to offer just that. Does anyone have experience of either? Any info gratefully received - the good, bad and of course the ugly!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:21 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citibank or Bankwest??

Originally Posted by sussex2
Hi all,

Looking to open up a fee free bank account - Citibank and Bankwest both seem to offer just that. Does anyone have experience of either? Any info gratefully received - the good, bad and of course the ugly!
Bankwest offer good rates but the people I've dealt with have lied to me and when I complained I got fobbed off, so as far as I'm concerned they are w*nkers and I closed my account and moved my savings elsewhere.

HSBC offer free banking - use them, there excellent.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

been with Citibank for a long time. i like the idea that they are are stable and conservative...i never go for the banks that give the highest rates,

as for the oz bank (everyday/transaction) account, yes they are good, i use my ATM card for all my EFTPOS transactions everywhere (any ATM in oz) and it is only 5$ / month or if you link it to your salary, the $5 is waived....other banks give you unlimited ATM withdrawals but it HAS to be there bank...

they have great online service as well as Phone service...

no complaints whatsoever....

(i would love to whinge about the Oz banking fees but that would be another very LONG thread)
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
been with Citibank for a long time. i like the idea that they are are stable and conservative...i never go for the banks that give the highest rates,
Very sensible strategy at the moment.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering the bailout it received earlier this year I'm surprised that Citibank is considered stable

I've been happy with HSBC.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 27th 2008 at 11:11 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:10 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Neither. I'd put my money with an Australian owned bank purely because historically they are better placed to weather storms (http://www.bankers.asn.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=587). Neither Citibank's USA parent and Bankwests UK parents are not doing too good at the moment.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

darlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enoughdarlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Citibank or Bankwest??

Originally Posted by harrip
Neither. I'd put my money with an Australian owned bank purely because historically they are better placed to weather storms (http://www.bankers.asn.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=587). Neither Citibank's USA parent and Bankwests UK parents are not doing too good at the moment.

hi there!

Which banks are doing well at the moment? You seem to know your stuff!!

Any advice appreciated. I'm just about to open an account in adelaide, any hints and tips for research before committing myself to anything?

Sarah
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Hi as previous posters.....we need to open Bank acc this week as we move on Nov 9t and need to pay bond etc so got to do ASAP Thanks in advance
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:12 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by darlo 2 adelaide
hi there!

Which banks are doing well at the moment? You seem to know your stuff!!

Any advice appreciated. I'm just about to open an account in adelaide, any hints and tips for research before committing myself to anything?

Sarah
HSBC - biggest bank in the world
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=renth;6825981]Bankwest offer good rates but the people I've dealt with have lied to me and when I complained I got fobbed off, so as far as I'm concerned they are w*nkers and I closed my account and moved my savings elsewhere.

Well you should have spoke to me on the phone!! I work for BankWest and NEVER lie to anyone. If I am no sure of any questions asked, I check it out and get back to customers!!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;6826943]
Originally Posted by renth
Bankwest offer good rates but the people I've dealt with have lied to me and when I complained I got fobbed off, so as far as I'm concerned they are w*nkers and I closed my account and moved my savings elsewhere.

Well you should have spoke to me on the phone!! I work for BankWest and NEVER lie to anyone. If I am no sure of any questions asked, I check it out and get back to customers!!
Bankwest has a very high interest rate on their telenet saver account!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:05 am
(It's not my real name)

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;6826949]
Originally Posted by sj oldfield
For new customers, yes, for existing customers they've done the usual trick of winding the interest down and it currently stands at 7.1% which isn't that great.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

HSBC offer free banking - use them, there excellent.

Yeah, I had the same problem with them too. I moved my money elsewhere also...

S
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:13 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;6826949]
Originally Posted by sj oldfield
They are also now owned by Lloyds who have said they intend to sell it off.

Not exactly the most secure bank in the world at the moment being jettisoned by the very company that had to buy the parent company to stop going under.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

sussex2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your thoughts. This bank thing is a bit of a nightmare! 18mths-2yrs ago I would not have dreamed I would be thinking about who owned who or who was likely to take a fall. On a different level of course, people are worried about their jobs, savings and houses. So shouldn't grumble!

Will do a bit more research methinks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.