Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

citibank account in australia from uk?

citibank account in australia from uk?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default citibank account in australia from uk?

Has anyone got a citibank australia bank account,did they open it while still in the uk or when they got to oz?
I am looking into opening the citibank plus account,but does one need to be in australia to open such an account are can i do it from uk.
I am going over in jan 2009 to validate my visa and would like to open it before then is this possible?

I emailed them but them seem to be slow in there replies from oz,but in part of the email it said:
Please note that before the account can be opened, you will need to be
identified in any of our local branches or through Australia Post

So what does that mean i need to be in australia to be able to go to a branch or post office to open it?Is there not another way or within the uk?
What if i set this up just before i leave in jan 2009 for my trip would this be ok,do they give you a certain time to do this,like westpac they allow you to open an account from uk and you have 90 days to id yourself,do citibank offer the same thing.

They seem to be very slow in replys to emails.

Also just say it was ok now to set up the account now from the uk,on the application it asks current residental address and postal address,could i put say my own uk address and say my aunts address in australia for postal address for say when they sent out cards etc,but then saying that i need to id myself,would i best just put my address in uk for this?

It asks for tax file number could i put my file number from 2004 as i believe you have the same file number for life,or would i put non resident for taxation,but i have a pr visa so what do i put there.

Also if i did put my aunts address down for postal address,i would only see this used only for them sending the cards,cheque book etc,as it not all done online once set up.

Any help would be great on this,on when i can set this up,if i can from the uk and if not when is best before i head there etc
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: citibank account in australia from uk?

You do have the same Tax File Number for life.

Before you can use the account for withdrawals, you would need to "be
identified" as they say. This is common with all banks.

I would assume that Citibank is the same as HSBC and others, who allow you to open an account from the UK, and make deposits, but not use it in any other way until you arrive and have provided indentification.

Regarding addresses, I would do what you suggest; your UK address for residential and your aunts address in australia for postal address.

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citibank account in australia from uk?

Originally Posted by brian.w
Has anyone got a citibank australia bank account,did they open it while still in the uk or when they got to oz?
I am looking into opening the citibank plus account,but does one need to be in australia to open such an account are can i do it from uk.
I am going over in jan 2009 to validate my visa and would like to open it before then is this possible?

I emailed them but them seem to be slow in there replies from oz,but in part of the email it said:
Please note that before the account can be opened, you will need to be
identified in any of our local branches or through Australia Post

So what does that mean i need to be in australia to be able to go to a branch or post office to open it?Is there not another way or within the uk?
What if i set this up just before i leave in jan 2009 for my trip would this be ok,do they give you a certain time to do this,like westpac they allow you to open an account from uk and you have 90 days to id yourself,do citibank offer the same thing.

They seem to be very slow in replys to emails.

Also just say it was ok now to set up the account now from the uk,on the application it asks current residental address and postal address,could i put say my own uk address and say my aunts address in australia for postal address for say when they sent out cards etc,but then saying that i need to id myself,would i best just put my address in uk for this?

It asks for tax file number could i put my file number from 2004 as i believe you have the same file number for life,or would i put non resident for taxation,but i have a pr visa so what do i put there.

Also if i did put my aunts address down for postal address,i would only see this used only for them sending the cards,cheque book etc,as it not all done online once set up.

Any help would be great on this,on when i can set this up,if i can from the uk and if not when is best before i head there etc

You may find this thread helpful - There is an ongoing discussion about Citibank on Page four, and post #47 by Jorgon may answer your question.

Have you opened a Citibank account in the UK?

There is the 100 point check to be completed for any account that is opened in Australia, for fraud detection purposes.

You should use your old TFN as, it will be the same.

Have you tried calling Citibank Australia on their telephone number? They usually have call centre staff with a reasonable command of English (unlike HSBC) so it may be worth talking to them and explaining what you are trying to achieve.

Alternatively, if you are opening an account with a view to depositing more than $100k, then you will be treated as a Gold class customer, and allocated a personal banker, which is quite useful.

HTH,

S