tosh27 is on a distinguished road
Default Cigs

Does anyone know how much cigs cost in Australia
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cigs

Hi Tosh,

Last time I was over visiting the rellies in January 04, they were around GBP4.50 per pack, I think smoking is something that is not as popular with the Ozzies as they are such a healthy bunch with all their sport. Time to give up me thinks - always easier said than done
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:39 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tosh27
Does anyone know how much cigs cost in Australia
They cost a lot more than money.........
I think Australia is going to follow Ireland, Sweden and many US States and ban smoking in all public and working places. Jan 1st 2005, I believe. Read it in a newspaper about a month or two ago?
I think the UK too??

Andrew
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lori&Andy
Hi Tosh,

I think smoking is something that is not as popular with the Ozzies as they are such a healthy bunch with all their sport.
Where do you get that from?. I was there a few weeks ago & saw as many people smoking as you do in the UK (especially young women). Aussies are good at watching sport - down the pub with a beer in one hand & a smoke in the other.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:25 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know ehre you get GBP4.50 for a pack. Marloboro typically cost about $7.50/pack 20 (if you buy in cartons from the supermarket), this makes it more like GBP 3.00.

Note they are typically sold in 25s and many local brands in 50s. I've never seen a pack of 10 here.

How much now in UK?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
They cost a lot more than money.........
I think Australia is going to follow Ireland, Sweden and many US States and ban smoking in all public and working places. Jan 1st 2005, I believe. Read it in a newspaper about a month or two ago?
I think the UK too??

Andrew
Smoking has been banned in all offices and shops and most indoor public places since the mid-80's. I can't remember smoking ever being allowed in the movies or public transport (and I've lived here for nearly 25 years).

There is a change to ban smoking in all clubs soon (I believe). Not sure what the current deal is with bars and pubs - don't use them. Some councils are even banning smoking on beaches. You cannot smoke anywhere near hospitals - that even includes outside in the gounds. The ABC even tried to ban smoking by their staff on the footpath outside their buildings - but don't think the ban was deemed viable.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickyc
Smoking has been banned in all offices and shops and most indoor public places since the mid-80's. I can't remember smoking ever being allowed in the movies or public transport (and I've lived here for nearly 25 years).

There is a change to ban smoking in all clubs soon (I believe). Not sure what the current deal is with bars and pubs - don't use them. Some councils are even banning smoking on beaches. You cannot smoke anywhere near hospitals - that even includes outside in the gounds. The ABC even tried to ban smoking by their staff on the footpath outside their buildings - but don't think the ban was deemed viable.
Smokers at work have a 5 minute walk to the nearest allowed place. Hopefully Bondi will follow Manly and ban smoking on the Beach. Personally I find the amount of cigarette butts around disgusting. This is an Australia wide problem (I am sure it is the same in the UK). A dead turtle was opened up in cape Tribulation and 30 ciggie butts were found in the stomach contents. Idiots driving start bush and grass fires by lobbing their unextinguished butts out of the window. IMO a ban in all outside areas, cars and public places is needed. Giving up is not that hard.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

around $62 to $64 for a carton of 200 ( 50 packets) .. Horizon low tar (1's)

Cigarettes are cheaper here than in Britain. Tax.. Britain piles the tax on to ciggies.

Smoking in Hospitals.. must be recent, or it's just NSW and not QLD. when I was in the Mater in Brisbane ( about 3 year ago) you could smoke outside. There was a little section on one of the floors with tables outside for the patients , where you could smoke.. and a lot of the doctors and nurses used to go there to smoke too.

They are trying to ban it in pubs here in Qld. It is banned anywhere indoors where there is food being served.. which includes the restaurant part of pubs and clubs. Banned in all office buildings.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 17th 2004 at 2:57 am.