Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christopher Hitchens RIP A Legend

Christopher Hitchens RIP A Legend

Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:04 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Christopher Hitchens RIP A Legend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418

If i wanted to return as someone else, he would be my choice........An absolute genius............
Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christopher Hitchens RIP A Legend

Yes, so much a genius that he thought the invasion of Iraq was a great idea...
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:21 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budawang
Yes, so much a genius that he thought the invasion of Iraq was a great idea...
Opinion does not dictate intellectual intelligence...Opinion harbours emotional values, which like you above, begs to differ.....
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
Opinion does not dictate intellectual intelligence...Opinion harbours emotional values, which like you above, begs to differ.....
Trying to figure that one out.... Are you trying to say his opinions were emotionally based?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Budawang
Trying to figure that one out.... Are you trying to say his opinions were emotionally based?

Make your own mind up....You do have an opinion do you?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

A great loss to the world. I loved to see him debate religion with the religious. I was re-reading his book on Mother Teresa just last week, a very enlightening piece of work.

I for one shall miss him.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
A great loss to the world. I loved to see him debate religion with the religious. I was re-reading his book on Mother Teresa just last week, a very enlightening piece of work.

I for one shall miss him.
Paxo off the BBC2 scaremongering channel; he interviewed him, was on the TV tonight, you could feel the respect from Paxo towards Christopher, a good interview, he did not have long left, but we are all terminal, just few realise, maybe because they are the one's...............
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:53 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

His comments on Iraq were an aberration and puzzled many a fan, but that aside, he was a breath of fresh air and a true intellectual.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

He was a drink-soaked former Trotskyite popinjay, the Englishman in New York who discovered there were large bundles of right-wing dollars available for apostates like him. If they were prepared to betray their friends, their principles and sell the soul he didn't believe he had in the first place.
Easy. As Groucho Marx once put it: "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
He was a drink-soaked former Trotskyite popinjay, the Englishman in New York who discovered there were large bundles of right-wing dollars available for apostates like him. If they were prepared to betray their friends, their principles and sell the soul he didn't believe he had in the first place.
Easy. As Groucho Marx once put it: "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."
Nicely summed up. I didn't much like him. He was clever at tapping into, and profiting from, the rather nasty neo-con culture which was a major force throughout the Anglosphere during the Bush/Blair/Howard years.

He managed to discard many of the better aspects of his left-wing roots, while conserving some of its more unsavoury ones and adopting the neo-colonial values of the right.