Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in the summer

Christmas in the summer

Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Anjali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas in the summer

I just read something about christmas on this forum, and I just got curious. So how is it when you celebrate christmas in the summer? We celebrated it once in Sydney when we were on holliday. It was so strange to see the people with whom we were staying unwrap presents. It was just too weird.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:55 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Christmas in the summer

Originally posted by Anjali
I just read something about christmas on this forum, and I just got curious. So how is it when you celebrate christmas in the summer? We celebrated it once in Sydney when we were on holliday. It was so strange to see the people with whom we were staying unwrap presents. It was just too weird.
Its one thing I find very hard to get used to out here. It can be anything between 30 & 40 degrees outside & they still do Turkey & trimmings, it may be done in the BBQ but still weird. All the Xmas cards have snow on them to lol. I do enjoy new year though, standing out on the decking at midnight watching the fireworks go off with only a T shirt & shorts on, toasting the old country. Can't beat it.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:21 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Oz, so I'm used to it!

I think it's time for some pics
I've got some(!) great ones!

Ok, I wanted to do 1 or 2 pics of every year (1987-1995) but 1987 has no interesting pics.

So, here's 1988, with a measly looking tree.
And my brother doesn't always look that dorky btw
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1988_466_2512_kerst.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:25 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Simone82
I grew up in Oz, so I'm used to it!

I think it's time for some pics
I've got some(!) great ones!

Ok, I wanted to do 1 or 2 pics of every year (1987-1995) but 1987 has no interesting pics.

So, here's 1988, with a measly looking tree.
And my brother doesn't always look that dorky btw

Bet that tree didn't see to many more Xmas's
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:25 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

New Years weekend with dutch friends, 1988/89.

It was at Mylup beach, boiling hot, and the flies were the worst ever, that's why my parents and their friends have twigs in front of there faces
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1988_476_31_takjes.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Nah......
Anyway, next christmas we were camping:

we did a tour of the southwest.
This is Christmas Day in Margret River.

My brother got a cricket set, and I a pram that my parents smuggled with them in the campervan!
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1989_158_2512_kerst.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:31 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

1989/1990

Somewhere around new year's, on the coast on the southwest.
Point d'Extrakdkaj(!) or something....
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1989_168_12_oudjaar.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:36 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Christmas Eve, 1990

Port Hedland(!) caravan park (with little frogs in the pool and toilets and a dead cat behind the garbage bins......)
We were moving up to La Grange/Bidyadanga(200km south of Broome) to live. We did 3 days over the trip.
On Boxing Day the car broke down between two roadhouses (either way about 100km). Lots of people stopped to help, but we ended up being stuck 9 hours!!!!
And that's in the scorching sun, no airco, 2 small kids, and 2 dogs. Bloody Lada Niva Got to La Grange in the middle of the night, slept on the verandah, and got woken by sandflies..... Ahhhh, those were the days!
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1990_152_2412_kerst.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

1991 Christmas celebrations at our school in Nullagine.
Every kid in the town got a present (probably was only about 30)
We had a play too, and my brother played Joseph, and an aboriginal friend of mine played Maria
Those Chrissy holidays we went down to Perth, staying with friends. Saw Pinnochio on Ice at the Entertainment Centre.
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1991_138_12_xmas.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:48 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Last one (cos aparently we didn't celebrate Christmas after 1991... well, not evidenced anyway!)

Perth in Christmas decorations 1991
Attached Thumbnails Christmas in the summer-1991_154_12_perth.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:44 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Try Christmas in July to beat the heat:

http://www.aquilaretreat.com.au/xmasjuly.html
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:49 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Were thinking about doing something like that this year but doing it ourselves. All our birthdays are in June/July so we used to have summer b'days. Now there all winter we thought we'd do something different. Maybe go into the mountains and find some snow etc.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:56 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default xmas in july

Originally posted by jayr

http://www.aquilaretreat.com.au/xmasjuly.html
Hi Jayr
this is something that we planned to do as well, celebrate on the 25th july but i think aquila is a little too far for us, just have to do it down here instead.
We have a nice little restaurant up the road with quite a few b+b so might book that , might even get some snow ( hope not ) have you stayed at the aquila or is it itsomething you found online?
johanne
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:59 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default hi hups

Originally posted by HUP
Were thinking about doing something like that this year but doing it ourselves. All our birthdays are in June/July so we used to have summer b'days. Now there all winter we thought we'd do something different. Maybe go into the mountains and find some snow etc.
Yep exactly the same here ( anniverary in July )....have you been to the cuckoo yet or the old oak tree ?
I need to get up to coles and buy some bbq stuff but i cant tear myself off here it does my head in...
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 3:26 am
Badge

Originally posted by HUP
amusing HUP. Of course, some of us now for the first time get to be Summer babies. We are both. I 've never really been in to b'days as it is winter - less opportunity to sit outside on a warm summer's night...and celebrate.

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.