Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas - Problem - Help

Christmas - Problem - Help

Old Dec 26th 2003, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas - Problem - Help

We are travelling out on Monday - decided to have Christmas here then start the New Year in Oz...

Problem is that we got loads of chocolate and other swwets for Christmas. I got 4 pounds of Liquorice Allsorts to myself but the children got tons. As you are not allowed to import food do we have to stuff our faces for the next three days or will we be allowed in with them.

Any answers please..

Ken
Old Dec 26th 2003, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Eat the whole lot before then.
On a serious note when we flew last year we had loads of `Chelsea football club` Chocolate for my uncle whom is a chelsea fan. we declared it at customes , there was no problem.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Eat the whole lot before then.
On a serious note when we flew last year we had loads of `Chelsea football club` Chocolate for my uncle whom is a chelsea fan. we declared it at customes , there was no problem.

Did they charge you anything??

I do not fancy eating all the Allsorts but my wife is up for the Chocs.. She is off to the pictures tonight with 1 lb of Celebrations...

Ken
Old Dec 26th 2003, 10:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas - Problem - Help

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
We are travelling out on Monday - decided to have Christmas here then start the New Year in Oz...

Problem is that we got loads of chocolate and other swwets for Christmas. I got 4 pounds of Liquorice Allsorts to myself but the children got tons. As you are not allowed to import food do we have to stuff our faces for the next three days or will we be allowed in with them.

Any answers please..

Ken
As Oldfield says declare and you should be fine. Most processed foods are let through. Plus you can have a second litre of grog if you declare it. The grog can be bought on arrival as well.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any problems. I always take chocolates and tinned biscuits, etc home every year. You just have to declare it at customs. When you receive the customs forms, just make sure you tick the box that says "are you carrying any food items". Customs will just ask you what you have. there shouldn't be any problems.

It is mainly fresh meat, fruit, veg, etc,that they are looking for.

Although last time I passed through Brisbane, I got stopped for allegedly carrying fruit in my bag. There had been none in there for over a week, but the dogs still picked up the scent!

Have a good trip
Old Dec 26th 2003, 11:10 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

We had a pakket op potato chips (kangaroo shapes ) when we went to Perth in 2000, and we declared them, and it was fine!

As others say, it's only fresh stuff usually.
Chocolates and sweets are totally fine. But do declare them.

Have a good trip!
Old Dec 26th 2003, 11:20 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of caution, if you do decide to eat all of the liquorice allsorts yourself, you may be sh**ing out of the eye of a needle by the time you are ready to fly!!! (they are laxatives!)

Could be a very uncomfortable flight for you (not to mention the other passengers!)

Whatever you decide to do re the sweets etc, have a good flight and brill time in Oz.

regards, Tracey
Old Dec 27th 2003, 6:33 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

If you do decide to take the chocolate with you remember to get it in a fridge as soon as you possibly can or you will end up with one big very runny chocolate

Susan