British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Christmas in NZ, where do we go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/christmas-nz-where-do-we-go-112555/)

garrisondamn Oct 8th 2002 7:31 pm

Christmas in NZ, where do we go?

Hi all, we are going to NZ on Dec 4th until about 9th Jan, to validate our PR Visas and to have a good look at the country to try and get a bit of a picture of what NZ is like, I know that 4 or 5 weeks is never enough time to suss out somewhere that you intend to live, but we're thankful to have that!

Any suggestions of where to visit, suggested itinery, we want to try & fit in North & South Islands, what's the best thing/place for Xmas day!!??
We want to buy a car when we get there rather than renting at peak season, that way we have something to sell or will have a car when we go back to live (JUNE 2003) if we can find somewhere to leave it! (Christchurch area) Where's the best place to buy one.

Any help appreciated from Kiwi's or expats.
Cheers all.:cool:

Watt Dabney Oct 8th 2002 8:15 pm

Re: Christmas in NZ, where do we go?

Originally posted by garrisondamn:
Hi all, we are going to NZ on Dec 4th until about 9th Jan, to validate our PR Visas and to have a good look at the country to try and get a bit of a picture of what NZ is like, I know that 4 or 5 weeks is never enough time to suss out somewhere that you intend to live, but we're thankful to have that!

Any suggestions of where to visit, suggested itinery, we want to try & fit in North & South Islands, what's the best thing/place for Xmas day!!??
We want to buy a car when we get there rather than renting at peak season, that way we have something to sell or will have a car when we go back to live (JUNE 2003) if we can find somewhere to leave it! (Christchurch area) Where's the best place to buy one.

Any help appreciated from Kiwi's or expats.
Cheers all.:cool:

We will be in Christchurch early Nov, dont know what our accomodation situation will be but hopefully reasonably settled by Jan. If we can help we will. Will try and keep in touch via this site but dont know when we will be back on line after the move but should be by mid Dec.

P.S. what bike you getting? Have just sold my ZRX1100:(

Ian

garrisondamn Oct 8th 2002 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:

We will be in Christchurch early Nov, dont know what our accomodation situation will be but hopefully reasonably settled by Jan. If we can help we will. Will try and keep in touch via this site but dont know when we will be back on line after the move but should be by mid Dec.

P.S. what bike you getting? Have just sold my ZRX1100:(

Ian

Hey thanks, will contact you if we can get through, are you settling in C/church?, why C/church?
We will be in C/church by beggining of Jan.

ZRX1100.....good choice, love 'em, hope to buy an Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille, bring on those NZ twisties!!!!:p

cinderella Oct 8th 2002 9:19 pm

Hi there,

Where are you flying into to? North or South Island?

Regards,

Cinderella

Watt Dabney Oct 8th 2002 10:15 pm

Hey thanks, will contact you if we can get through, are you settling in C/church?, why C/church?
We will be in C/church by beggining of Jan.

ZRX1100.....good choice, love 'em, hope to buy an Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille, bring on those NZ twisties!!!!:p

I am lucky enough to be employed in the UK by a firm with an operation in Christchurch and when I expressed a desire to live in NZ they wanted to keep me. The place has alot to offer us. More house for the $, more space for us and the kids, less people, less traffic. You know the story.

Have tried to resist doing the sprotsbike thing in the UK (still manage to embarrass the odd gsxr though) but will probably give in to the temptation in NZ. R1, Blade, GSXR, TL1000S :eek: The down side to less than 1 million pop. on the south island is the lack of choice in second hand motorcycles compared to UK. Will just shop around and see what's about.

Ian

garrisondamn Oct 8th 2002 11:10 pm

Originally posted by cinderella:
Hi there,

Where are you flying into to? North or South Island?

Regards,

Cinderella

Into Auckland, out of Christchurch.
:PARTY:

cinderella Oct 9th 2002 9:51 am

Into Auckland, out of Christchurch.
:PARTY:

Ok then, I would do Auckland and then go up to the Bay of Islands for a few days. It is just beautiful up there, not to be missed. The rest of the North Island I am not too good on as I am from the South Island. So see what other people say to do. Whether to go to the straight down the middle to Wellington or another route. Wellington is nice.

Are you going to Fly or take the Ferry across Cook Straight to the South Island? If you take the ferry to Picton, go over to Nelson. That is a lovely little town. While there you could go to the Wineries and take a trip out into the Marlborough Sound.
It is a long trip by car south to Christchurch. You must go further south and visit Queenstown. Go by car and take the Scenic Tourist Route that takes you via GERALDINE. It is just the most beautiful drive. The Southern Alps are just stunning. We did this trip in August this year in a camper van with 3 Children. Can't say they appreciated the scenery though. Have a least 3 days in Queenstown. Here are the most things to do - The Shotover Jet, the Gondolas & do the Luge at the top. Take a trip on the Earnslaw steam boat over to Walter Peak for the afternoon tea. No where better from cream tea, really delicious. We have also taken the evening trip over there for dinner. It leaves at about 6.00pm and gets back around 10.00pm, the meal is wonderful. Just depends how much time you have. Go to the Brittamia restaurant fo a meal another evening, great service and food. Run by a brit from down South somewhere. The bungee Jump is near by, if you don't fancy doing it (we didn't) just go and have a look. They must be mad! Also go to Arrowtown which is just next to Queenstown, it is lovely. Plenty of Vineyards to see around this area as well.

You could travel back to Christchurch via Dunedin. When back in CHCH, go to the Antarctic centre it is at the Airport. Go on the gondola ride there as well, great views of the City & over to the Harbour (if it is not smoggy, shouldn't be in the summer, too many wood burners going in the winter). Sumner Springs is also a nice trip. Can't advise where you should have Christmas day, do you have any friends out there? If so have it with them.

I hope this is a help. Wish it was me doing this trip again.

Kind regards,

Cinderellav

Ian Guy Oct 9th 2002 10:34 am

The Mardi Gras and fireworks on the Lake Front here in Rotorua at the New
Year is free and fun (probably similar things elsewhere, e.g. Queenstown,
Hawkes Bay). We did the beach at Papamoa on Boxing Day - splendid. Some
friends went water skiing on the Lake and then lunch on Mokoia Island on
Xmas day. Mt Maunganui buzzes round the festive period, but there can be
bust ups, especially at New Year. Xmas on the Mt Ngongotaha gondola follwoed
by a luge session may be our choice if the weather is right!

Most towns have cheap cars at local spots (e.g. the car park in Manakau next
to the shopping mall, Te Ngae Road in Rotorua) mostly at weekends. You can
haggle - check that the rego and the WOF are current at these you can also
get AA inspections. For a month I'd hire a cheapo rental, or even a camper
(would solve the accomodation issue). Also a tip - Origin Pacific, Qantas
and Air NZ have decent deals on, e.g. $59 from AKL to WLG - worth getting a
car for a week in one area (e.g Auckland, Rotorua, Taupo, the Bay and back
to AKL) and then fly down and hire again - Auckland to Wellington is at
least an 8 hour drive and not fun.

"garrisondamn" wrote in message
news:437546.1034118622@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by cinderella:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Where are you flying into to? North or South Island?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Cinderella
    > Into Auckland, out of Christchurch.
    > :PARTY:
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

cinderella Oct 9th 2002 12:45 pm

Alan,

Have alook at the NZ AA site, it has good info.

www.aaguides.co.nz

Regards,

Cinderella ;)

Nicki Oct 9th 2002 3:17 pm

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:34:03 +1300, "Ian Guy"
wrote:

>The Mardi Gras and fireworks on the Lake Front here in Rotorua at the New
    >Year is free and fun (probably similar things elsewhere, e.g. Queenstown,
    >Hawkes Bay). We did the beach at Papamoa on Boxing Day - splendid. Some
    >friends went water skiing on the Lake and then lunch on Mokoia Island on
    >Xmas day. Mt Maunganui buzzes round the festive period, but there can be
    >bust ups, especially at New Year. Xmas on the Mt Ngongotaha gondola follwoed
    >by a luge session may be our choice if the weather is right!

Having just come back from NZ (validating the visa's - taking a break
after the house sale fell thru...) I'd recommend Papamoa & Mt
Maunganui too. After all we did spend three whole days there so I do
consider myself to be an expert ;o)

Nicki.