Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Melbourne

Christmas in Melbourne

Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Christmas in Melbourne

We're going to be spending our first Xmas in Oz this year - in Melbourne - and just wondered if anything special happens there on Xmas Day?
What do most people do?
Is it similar to the UK in terms of family gatherings?
Does everything close down?
Are there any pubs open?
I'd really like us to mark the occasion by doing it the traditional Aussie way. We'll have a couple of friends over from the UK as well.
So any ideas?
Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in Melbourne

Originally Posted by DianneH68
We're going to be spending our first Xmas in Oz this year - in Melbourne - and just wondered if anything special happens there on Xmas Day?
What do most people do?
Is it similar to the UK in terms of family gatherings?
Does everything close down?
Are there any pubs open?
I'd really like us to mark the occasion by doing it the traditional Aussie way. We'll have a couple of friends over from the UK as well.
So any ideas?
Thanks
Will you be having a Turkey dinner Dianne?! Not in Oz yet, but hopefully next year
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:16 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Many do have turkey but I think a big ham or seafood platter are more popular for Xmas dinner out here.

Xmas dinner done on the BBQ is popular followed by a game of cricket or a wander down the beach.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Christmas in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Bordy
Xmas dinner done on the BBQ is popular followed by a game of cricket or a wander down the beach.
Excellent!! I have never tasted BBQ'd sprouts and stuffing before. Sounds marvellous!

Buzzy
Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

When I was there a couple of years ago it seemed a bit more low-key than in the UK, not such a big fuss. I really enjoyed it! We were staying ina holiday let on the beech in Noosa at the time and spent the day walking along the beech and then having a barbie. Not sure if it was traditional or not, but we weren't the only ones!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Many do have turkey but I think a big ham or seafood platter are more popular for Xmas dinner out here.

Yippee NO SPROUTS
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The last couple of years we've done the UK-style traditional Xmas thing as the temperature was about 20-25C. We'll wait and see this year as it looks like it might be a hot one.

Total Fire Ban in most parts of Victoria today (everywhere except the South East - I think).

Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:27 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I did the traditional dinner last year - first year here - but won't be doing it this year. It is just not the same. There is just not that big build up to Christmas and it just sorted limped in! Hubbie loved it as he HATES the traditional Christmas of the norther hempishere, whereas I HATED the one here. This year to try to get in with the traditional culture I am going to do cold meats, pickles and seafood.

Yet to decide whether to even bother with a tree.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

it is definitely not the same atmosphere/build up as UK.
It is light late into the evenings and of course a lot warmer.

People tend to spend the day with family/out in parks having picnics. Last year H and I went for a walk down to Port Melbourne as some huge cruise liner had pulled in on its maiden voyage- were about 1000 people doing the same thing, enjoying the beautiful sunshine!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 3:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Christmas in Melbourne

I am intending to have a Christmas in winter as well when I get to Oz - perhaps in the mountains with snow and everything - that would be even better than winter Christmas in London which is normally just overcast and about 11 degrees.....

Buzzy
Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I am intending to have a Christmas in winter as well when I get to Oz - perhaps in the mountains with snow and everything - that would be even better than winter Christmas in London which is normally just overcast and about 11 degrees.....

Buzzy
I've been tempted by that each year and may actually get around to doing it next year. Not sure where to get a turkey though - they don't seem very popular here.

Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Christmas in Melbourne

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've been tempted by that each year and may actually get around to doing it next year. Not sure where to get a turkey though - they don't seem very popular here.

Maybe buy one at "real" Christmas and freeze it?

Buzzy
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
so you will be doing the "Christmas-in-July' which is really popular here?
We go out with a bunch of winos and eat and drink heaps...
Old Oct 12th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies everyone.
It will be a nice relief to eat something other than turkey - plenty of seafood, cold meats and sald sounds fantastic.
Think I might check out the beach too - would be weird but also wonderful to be on the beach in the sunshine on Xmas Day
I like Xmas Day in the UK but don't like all the fuss in the build-up or the cold weather so think the Aussie one will suit me just fine.
Am quite happy if every other day is just the same as a normal day and then we can just celebrate on Xmas Day
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I've not spent Christmas in Oz but looking forward to our first one when we arrive. It sounds much more laid back which sounds brilliantly to me as hate all the build up over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.