Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

christmas lights

christmas lights

Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up christmas lights

hi , just thought id let you all know we have just come back from the turning on of the towns xmas lights - it was a bit odd standing there in 3/4 lengths & a t shirt ! - father xmas turned up in a car that they were giving away ! - last year he rode up on a harley!!!
he gave out pressies to the kids , there were balloon models, face painting , sausage sizzle , drinks, lollies, show bags etc - all FREE!! the band was playing xmas songs & there is more entertainment going on throughout tonight - it was a really nice atmospherre & we all enjoyed it - i think back to last year - it cost us a fortune to keep the kids occupied/ fed & watered , it was peeing down with rain & really miserable

i know which one i prefer!!!

pootle26
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:04 pm
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all
Default Re: christmas lights

sounds really nice, have to say I'm looking forward to my first Xmas in oz but that wont be until next year. its bloody freezing in the UK at the moment and its going to be the coldest winter this year that weave had in years, the weekend is suppose to be snow and blizzards have a nice Xmas xxx
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Glad you had such a good day . I find it quite difficult to imagine Xmas in the sun, do Aussie decorations have snowmen & snow related stuff on? But am really looking forward to next year .
TJ
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pootle26
hi , just thought id let you all know we have just come back from the turning on of the towns xmas lights - it was a bit odd standing there in 3/4 lengths & a t shirt ! - father xmas turned up in a car that they were giving away ! - last year he rode up on a harley!!!
he gave out pressies to the kids , there were balloon models, face painting , sausage sizzle , drinks, lollies, show bags etc - all FREE!! the band was playing xmas songs & there is more entertainment going on throughout tonight - it was a really nice atmospherre & we all enjoyed it - i think back to last year - it cost us a fortune to keep the kids occupied/ fed & watered , it was peeing down with rain & really miserable

i know which one i prefer!!!

pootle26
Sounds a bit surreal.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its all very different but pretty good once you kind of get used to it. I'm not sure we will ever get totally used to it.
The decorations are much the same, Santa's & reindeer & snow & lights like icicles etc.
We have our local "Carols by candlelight" next Saturday night where the whole town meet at the local park we have free BBQs, theres a few artists get up on stage & sing Christmas songs, we all get to hold our candles up & it finishes off with a pretty good fireworks display.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Imagine this for wierd!!

Last xmas we were renting in Scarborough on the canals with the garden backing onto the canal. On xmas morning santa came round on his boat stopping at all the private jettys giving sweets to the kids.

It was pretty good as the sun was shining and we were in our shorts and tshirts!!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Glad you had such a good day . I find it quite difficult to imagine Xmas in the sun, do Aussie decorations have snowmen & snow related stuff on? But am really looking forward to next year .
TJ
The house round the corner from us has icicles hanging from their eaves! Looks very strange when it's 30 degrees
Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

TJ
There's a new Xmas shop opened on the Princes Highway at Oakleigh, which features tree decorations of Santa with his top off sitting on a deckchair in his shades or surfing. Even though you don't get as many decorations here as in the UK like in big DIY stores (are you listening Bunnings and Mitre10?), the ones you do get are quite diverse and original.

Also Aussies tend to put up their Xmas trees earlier than in the UK, we went to a house last week and they had already got theirs up.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:19 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I drove along the Beach Road last night and a few houses had lights and christmas trees up - much too early IMO - imagine all those pine needles dropping!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

TJ

yep - they have the snowmen & robin cards etc - exactly the same as the uk
very odd - myer's even have the father xmas train sets you can buy with the snow & "ye olde english village" :scared: - that is just wrong!!
i dont know what i was expecting though, maybe more santas on surfboards that kind of thing, it is all very peculiar - seeing the christmas decs & lights up - of course you can see em properly only at night because of the sun !!
the kids have their xmas celebration production on wednesday night which will not be a nativity so that will seem odd too. but it is all things we will get used to in time

ttfn

pootle26