Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas Day - Sydney beach, NOT Bondi...?

Christmas Day - Sydney beach, NOT Bondi...?

Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:37 am
Poms Down Under

h31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant future
Default Christmas Day - Sydney beach, NOT Bondi...?

G'day!

We're currently in the process of planning where to go on Christmas Day; what to do, what to eat, blah blah blah...

It seems odd, but I have no idea about any of this. It will be our first Christmas in Oz, and our first ever away from family in the UK.

We're looking for a beautiful beach that wont be over-busy, like Bondi will be, and we're thinking that we'll raid the fish market and spend the day on the beach with a barbie and a bottle or two. I was thinking about heading down to Jervis Bay and checking out some of the beaches down there. We should be mobile by then, so travel shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts so far?

Also, about food - as I said we're thinking seafood. Maybe prawns, a lobster, and maybe a flathead to keep us going through the day, along with salad, bread, etc. I've never bought fresh fish before, so how many XL prawns would I get for 1 kilo? When it comes to cooking, I know that some beaches have barbies that you can use, sometime for a cost, but if not, what kind of barbie should I look to buy? I hate disposable jobbies, but don't want to rock up at the beach with something completely inappropriate.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks =)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Day - Sydney beach, NOT Bondi...?

Originally Posted by h31per
G'day!

We're currently in the process of planning where to go on Christmas Day; what to do, what to eat, blah blah blah...

It seems odd, but I have no idea about any of this. It will be our first Christmas in Oz, and our first ever away from family in the UK.

We're looking for a beautiful beach that wont be over-busy, like Bondi will be, and we're thinking that we'll raid the fish market and spend the day on the beach with a barbie and a bottle or two. I was thinking about heading down to Jervis Bay and checking out some of the beaches down there. We should be mobile by then, so travel shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts so far?

Also, about food - as I said we're thinking seafood. Maybe prawns, a lobster, and maybe a flathead to keep us going through the day, along with salad, bread, etc. I've never bought fresh fish before, so how many XL prawns would I get for 1 kilo? When it comes to cooking, I know that some beaches have barbies that you can use, sometime for a cost, but if not, what kind of barbie should I look to buy? I hate disposable jobbies, but don't want to rock up at the beach with something completely inappropriate.

Thanks =)

Sounds awesome! Are you still in Berkshire?

We're in QLD so can't help.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:52 am
Poms Down Under

h31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant futureh31per has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Sounds awesome! Are you still in Berkshire?

We're in QLD so can't help.
No, in Sydney now. Should update my profile i guess.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No, in Sydney now. Should update my profile i guess.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:18 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

north beach cronulla, wanda, eloura 1 hour on the train from the cbd, free car parking ..hang on why am I telling you! No no don't come to Cronulla lets keep it empty
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Is alcohol allowed on any of the Sydney beaches?

If you are planning on going further away I'd check out rental options to as at this time of year many rentals become a minimum of 7 nights.

We went to one of the Cronulla beaches on our first christmas before going home for a barbie which didn't really feel christmassy to me (we were staying in the Shire at the time)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt sure whether Bondi got busy on Xmas day or not. So I thought I'd check.... heres a picture from last year.

Now I'm not sure if it really got packed years ago or not, but I've not heard of it being packed with people at Xmas time.... Public Holidays are a totally different issue, always packed then.

I dont think as many people go to the beach at Xmas time as people think... certainly not in Victoria. There again the weather generally doesnt allow for it. New Years eve is normally a busier time for the beach, in Victoria at least.

Just wondered how many people have actually spent Xmas on the beach.... I've never done it in the 30 years I've been here.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 4th 2010 at 10:49 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm maybe the last picture was early or something.... here is 2005

Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wasnt sure whether Bondi got busy on Xmas day or not. So I thought I'd check.... heres a picture from last year.

http://www.bondivillage.com/pics2009/xd9870.jpg

Now I'm not sure if it really got packed years ago or not, but I've not heard of it being packed with people at Xmas time.... Public Holidays are a totally different issue, always packed then.

I dont think as many people go to the beach at Xmas time as people think... certainly not in Victoria. There again the weather generally doesnt allow for it. New Years eve is normally a busier time for the beach, in Victoria at least.

Just wondered how many people have actually spent Xmas on the beach.... I've never done it in the 30 years I've been here.
it rained Christmas Day here last year, a friend went to Bondi beach as he felt he ought to on his first Christmas here and was nearly the only person on the beach
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
north beach cronulla, wanda, eloura 1 hour on the train from the cbd, free car parking ..hang on why am I telling you! No no don't come to Cronulla lets keep it empty
Don't tell them Pike!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:11 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
it rained Christmas Day here last year, a friend went to Bondi beach as he felt he ought to on his first Christmas here and was nearly the only person on the beach
Don't you think the raining issue might have more to do with the numbers at the beach?

Last Christmas the weather was bad for several days, not just raining but cold too (oh, I'm such a wuss after 2 years in Qld). I'd have thought that the beach would be much more like OzzieEagle's photo than yours if the weather was more typical.

Our first year we were in Qld and went to the beach for a couple of hours on Christmas Day - it was heaving! Managed to have an international cricket match too
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Don't you think the raining issue might have more to do with the numbers at the beach?

Last Christmas the weather was bad for several days, not just raining but cold too (oh, I'm such a wuss after 2 years in Qld). I'd have thought that the beach would be much more like OzzieEagle's photo than yours if the weather was more typical.

Our first year we were in Qld and went to the beach for a couple of hours on Christmas Day - it was heaving! Managed to have an international cricket match too
Yep thats why there is such a difference in the numbers between the photo's Ozzie posted. In 2005 I too was on a beach in the sun (hence the busy 2005 Bondi photo ozzie posted), last Christmas I was sitting inside a boat which couldn't leave the mooring as the weather was so awful (hence the quiet photo Ozzie found for 2009, you'll always get some backpackers that are only here for a year and have to do Bondi Beach Christmas)
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where you are located, but not quite as far as Jervis Bay is the Wolllongong area, lots of good beaches, Austinmer, Thirroul, North Wollongong.

Some nice seafood restaurants overlooking Wollongong Harbour too if you don't feel like cooking.

http://www.southcoastleisuretimes.co...rroul-towradgi

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 5th 2010 at 7:01 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:37 am
Just Joined

EmmaKate is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Mollymook which is another half an hour on from Jervis Bay. Beautiful but realistically you're looking at 3 - 4 hours (depends where in Sydney you are). We've only been here a couple of months but apparently the locals stay at home around Christmas as the population triples with holidaymakers!

My advice would be if you're looking at coming down the coast book somewhere to stay soon (so you can have your couple of bottles!!).

I was in NZ for 8 years before coming here and still haven't got used to the warm Christmas and lack of Christmas Lunch!

I'm sure you'll have a great day whatever you do

G'day!

Thanks =)
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Spent a couple of hours on Maroubra beach a few years ago on Christmas day and that was quite quiet. It's a cracking beach but there are probably more picturesque places to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.