British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Christmas Day in Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/christmas-day-sydney-742184/)

AndrewMarilyn Dec 17th 2011 8:25 pm

Christmas Day in Sydney

Our first Australian Christmas and still undecided what to do. No kids to worry about so the world is our oyster.

Any good beach parties happening on Christmas Day?

thepenguins Dec 17th 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Christmas Day in Sydney

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 9794231)
Our first Australian Christmas and still undecided what to do. No kids to worry about so the world is our oyster.

Hi,

This is our first christmas here 2 (and our first post!) but we have booked up to go to Bondi Beach on christmas day as they are having a big party with a load of bands etc going on ...
Whatever you decide on, hope you enjoy your first christmas :)

Cheers,
N&J

amomentofstillness Dec 18th 2011 12:11 am

Group of us are going to Coogee beach. Went there Xmas 2008 and it was good fun :)

AndrewMarilyn Dec 18th 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by thepenguins (Post 9794356)
Hi,

This is our first christmas here 2 (and our first post!) but we have booked up to go to Bondi Beach on christmas day as they are having a big party with a load of bands etc going on ...
Whatever you decide on, hope you enjoy your first christmas :)

Cheers,
N&J

Booked up? Do we need to have tickets?
x

Jacque Dec 19th 2011 6:31 am

You've just got to hope this horrendous weather doesn't hang around- it's so unseasonally cold right now in Sydney it feels like it's about to snow!

The beaches normally have Xmas parties organised, but perhaps you should book a table for lunch somewhere indoors :)

Red_V_Roger Dec 19th 2011 8:15 am

Just be aware that many of the beaches have a very strict no alcohol policy on Christmas Day. Bondi especially is fenced off and you have to pass your bags and stuff through security guards for checking before they will let you on the beach.

AndrewMarilyn Dec 19th 2011 10:04 am

Wot?! Christmas without alcohol?

Red_V_Roger Dec 20th 2011 6:55 am

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 9796284)

Yes, you wont get it on Bondi.

saveme Dec 20th 2011 5:12 pm

Go somewhere like Neilsen Park and have a picnic there. I don't think there's any problem with alcohol. The kiosk may sell it too?

Swerv-o Dec 20th 2011 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 9796284)

Yup - the killjoys will be out in force if there's any possibility of anybody actually enjoying themselves...

S

In Exile Dec 21st 2011 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 9796142)
Just be aware that many of the beaches have a very strict no alcohol policy on Christmas Day. Bondi especially is fenced off and you have to pass your bags and stuff through security guards for checking before they will let you on the beach.

would the old "fill your coke can with some Thunderbird or 20/20" trick from schooldays work

Bermudashorts Dec 21st 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 9794231)

Our first Christmas (last year) was spent at home and we BBQd a duck for lunch and I think just went down to the local beach.

This year we are with family in Vegas! :thumbsup:

Swerv-o Dec 21st 2011 1:57 am

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9799226)
would the old "fill your coke can with some Thunderbird or 20/20" trick from schooldays work

Unlikely. Usually at stuff like that they will confiscate any bottles etc that have already been opened.

S

LisaIan Dec 21st 2011 2:11 am

From what I can remeber the party at Bondi isn't actually on the beach. I think tickets on the day were about $80 (this is back in 2008). We couldn't afford it back then so we just had fish and chips and sat on the beach.

Can't say I'd bother again but it has to be done once I think.

In Exile Dec 21st 2011 2:16 am

Originally Posted by LisaIan (Post 9799283)
I think tickets on the day were about $80 (this is back in 2008).

which by my calculations, taking into account both inflation and the government imposed tax for living in the lucky paradise, means they will be around $450 this year :D