Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

christmas day in oz?

christmas day in oz?

Old May 9th 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough
Cool christmas day in oz?

hi its nicola just wondering how do the auzzies spend christmas whats there tradition like here in the uk you have ur tree and traditional xmas lunch??

nicola

Last edited by wayne&mandy; May 9th 2005 at 8:02 pm.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future
Default Re: christmas day in oz?

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
hi its nicola just wondering how do the auzzies spend christmas whats there tradition?

nicola
Barbies on the beach!

I'm from Brisbane and it's always very hot and humid. We have cold seafood platters, lots of champagne and go swimming (I know it's naughty when you have a belly full of food and booze!)

Then followed by the traditional xmas day afternoon nap!
Old May 9th 2005, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

When we were in Perth on holiday a couple of years ago we had full turkey christmas lunch, though the turkey was cooked in a kettle BBQ, presents under the tree everything was as we have it in England. What made us laugh was seeing fake snowmen on the front lawns when it was 40 degrees. We loved it. We spent all afternoon in the pool, can't wait til this christmas as this will be our first proper christmas in Perth (hopefully moving over at the end of June) I have already emailed GMTV to see if they are doing a live broadcast from Perth this christmas eve.

Theresa
Old May 10th 2005, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

hi its nicola just wondering how do the auzzies spend christmas whats there tradition like here in the uk you have ur tree and traditional xmas lunch??

nicola
Hi nicola

Seeing as it is Summer over here then - bit different from the UK! Warmer for a start! T-shirt and shorts on Christmans Day - weired feeling! No freezing cold winds to contend with - great

Shops geared up for Christmas much the same as the UK. Different celebrations going on. We were in a rental apartment at the time (our first Christmas here) and they had a 'carol service' on the grounds of the complex - that was nice but a bit hard to take - missing family etc. Really brought it home - standing outside singing carols with no hats, scarves, thick coats etc in sight that bit felt good!

Lunch - we could have had the traditional roast lunch at many local restuarants but opted for something different. Probably this year we will crave for the great British Roast with yorkshire puddings - yummy oooh me mouths watering! Miss me roast potatoes, too blinking hot to cook that sort of stuff in the Summer months here as we are in Cairns - hot - steamy - lazy tropical north of Queensland

Christmas trees everywhere! Decorations everywhere! Santa visitid too - what more could you ask for
Old May 10th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Hate to be negative, but they don't do Christmas here quite on the scale that they do in the UK (trees, decorations, shopping, public displays, garden centres etc). Can't say that our first Xmas here was a classic, in fact it was pretty weird and the missus was even more depressed about it. That said, my son still enjoyed his pressies and its only one day a year so what the hell.
Old May 10th 2005, 3:54 am
ABCDiamond

nicola
In the areas we have lived in, one of the traditions is the drive around all the Local Christmas Decorated Houses. Often traffic jams are a problem, especially in the cul-de-sacs
Last year a big double decker bus was driving people round for the viewings.

The shops get very crowded the day before Christmas. Most seafood shops get customers to pre-order the prawns etc., and just collect them the day before.

Many people just go to friends and relatives, but eat seafood in abundance, rather than Hot Roast meals.

Old May 10th 2005, 4:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In the areas we have lived in, one of the traditions is the drive around all the Local Christmas Decorated Houses. Often traffic jams are a problem, especially in the cul-de-sacs
I've always found that really weird, it's very Americanised is it not? it reminds me of that American Tv show "home improvement" -Tim the tool man Taylor. with his decorations

There's always a house in the Redcliffe area which does this every year, goes right over the top - roundabouts ,wheels flashing this and that - like a grotto.

I find the weird part is not the people who do it, although they must be a bit bonkers too lol ( most it's just a christmas comp), but the people driving around to see these houses. Why don't they just decorate their own homes for their children instead of sitting in their cars with their poor wee faces pressed to the windows for a night out -Look kids.

Last edited by Ceri; May 10th 2005 at 4:49 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 4:59 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Neil S
Hate to be negative, but they don't do Christmas here quite on the scale that they do in the UK (trees, decorations, shopping, public displays, garden centres etc). Can't say that our first Xmas here was a classic, in fact it was pretty weird and the missus was even more depressed about it. That said, my son still enjoyed his pressies and its only one day a year so what the hell.

i agree, i found it very hard to get into the christmas spirit last year. in the u.k they play xmas songs on the radio and even have xmas themed adverts, but not here, infact my mates had never heard of classics such as "i wish it could be christmas every day", "merry christmas war is over", slades "merry christmas everybody" etc...

mothers day got more plugs on the t.v, radio and in the shops i thought.
Old May 10th 2005, 5:34 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil S

agreed Neil. Also it is quite bizarre how the cards and wrapping paper on sale here has pictures of snowmen and vother various snow related stuff..