Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Aus!!

Christmas in Aus!!

Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:47 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Christmas in Aus!!

I know that this might sound strange to some people but I am a bit apprehensive about christmas in Aus.

For me in the UK it usually follows the pattern of - early October pick the sloes and start making the sloe gin - later October start marinating the fruit in alcohol for the cake - takes two weeks - make the cake, pudding, christmas chutney, apricot chutney, mincemeat and cucumber relish. From November on its organise, organise, bird to order, shopping list to sort, guest list (friends and rellies). Christmas eve making parmiers, sausage rolls, mince pies and something for supper - picking up the vegetables and doing anything last minute. Christmas morning - up at 6.00 and start prep work for food and light a fire (a must on christmas day!) - smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a champagne cocktail for breakfast and then on we go, cooking, eating etc etc. I LOVE IT. but what about this year - will it be too hot in Melbourne? Will we have any friends to invite round!!!!? Will I be able to get sloes? oh the worries of moving!!!!!!

Whoops posted it twice and don't know how to get rid of the second copy!

Last edited by Vanessa; Apr 19th 2005 at 12:50 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in Aus!!

Hi

I think christmas must be hard for loads of people, I know it will be the hardest time for us. I suppose you just get to do different things, instead of Xmas lunch indoors you can chuck some food on the barbie, I've no idea what sloes are though
Must be quite funny having a Xmas tree up indoors when it is hot outside.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in Aus!!

I'm really looking forward to christmas in australia. Last Christmas was really hard for me and the kids. So am hoping to have a good one this year. I would love to have our first christmas on the beach with a big picnic and bottle of champagne. Failing that a barbecue around the pool. Hoping that my house will sell soon and that I can get over there for August as planned.
I'm really not as organised as some at christmas. I'm very impressed with all the work you put into it! I pop round Marks and Spencers a few days before and buy all our goodies . Might turn over a new leaf in Australia and start cooking a bit more