Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Aus

Wikiposts

Christmas in Aus

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Christmas in Aus

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I know that this might sound strange to some people but I am a bit apprehensive about christmas in Aus.

For me in the UK it usually follows the pattern of - early October pick the sloes and start making the sloe gin - later October start marinating the fruit in alcohol for the cake - takes two weeks - make the cake, pudding, christmas chutney, apricot chutney, mincemeat and cucumber relish. From November on its organise, organise, bird to order, shopping list to sort, guest list (friends and rellies). Christmas eve making parmiers, sausage rolls, mince pies and something for supper - picking up the vegetables and doing anything last minute. Christmas morning - up at 6.00 and start prep work for food and light a fire (a must on christmas day!) - smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a champagne cocktail for breakfast and then on we go, cooking, eating etc etc. I LOVE IT. but what about this year - will it be too hot in Melbourne? Will we have any friends to invite round!!!!? Will I be able to get sloes? oh the worries of moving!!!!!!

Hi Vanesa,

thats my one fear about Christmas too- being on our own, so hope you got room for 6 more!!!!

looks like you wont be lonely after all, lol

Happy Christmas

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:43 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi Vanesa,

thats my one fear about Christmas too- being on our own, so hope you got room for 6 more!!!!

looks like you wont be lonely after all, lol

Happy Christmas

Chris

Always plenty of room - I just love cooking and feeding people!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Always plenty of room - I just love cooking and feeding people!

Its a date then!!! lol

better sell my house then!!

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:17 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

OH! Vanessa, what do you do for boxing day, we have open house from 3 o'clock onwards for all friends, family and neighbours etc and there is a rolling buffet served continually restocked, beds all made up for the kids when they drop neighbours houses booked for those unable to taxi/walk home, 17 for breakfast last year!! best time of the year

nicky
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
OH! Vanessa, what do you do for boxing day, we have open house from 3 o'clock onwards for all friends, family and neighbours etc and there is a rolling buffet served continually restocked, beds all made up for the kids when they drop neighbours houses booked for those unable to taxi/walk home, 17 for breakfast last year!! best time of the year

nicky
Sounds like Vanessa's for Christmas Day, Yours for Boxing Day Nicky hope you both plan on very big houses in Oz! lol

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are now all my friends - see you on christmas eve when the merriement starts!!!!!!!

WE COULD TRAVEL DOWN FROM QLD VANESSA.........................BORDY CAN WE HUV A BED AT URS LOL
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
It's what you grew up with that counts. The same applies if you grew with Aussie Christmases and then have to spend the rest of them in the UK.
Absolutely correct Nicky, we spent Xmas 2000 in the UK & it felt very strange! Had a lovely time & enjoyed it, but it sure as hell felt weird & didn't feel like xmas to me!

There weren't even any prawns
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:38 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Having had two Xmas's in Oz my feelings are that I prefer Xmas in the UK. I don't get the same Xmasy feeling. Most of the street decorations are half hearted at best (Where I live anyway) though there are still the houses that really go to town with the decos.

We spend Xmas with my wifes family and we do have a good time and there is loads of food, but it really brings home the fact that I won't see my family (On saying that my most important family is with me).

There dosn't seem to be the build up in Oz. It seems to just appear and then go.

The TV at Xmas is super pants as it is a non ratings period. Yes yes I know you'll all be outside living the life but when you just want to sit down and veg out there is nothing on, so stock up on the DVDs.

All of out Birthdays are in July so we will be doing the Xmas in July up in the mountains somewhere with some snow.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:56 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Yes, Xmas in Oz is odd, even for us non-Christians and especially for those of us used to Northern European/US-style Xmasses featuring cold weather, mulled wine, Morecambe & Wise/Del Boy on TV, snow chains on the tires etc.

However, on the good side, the S Hemisphere Xmas is far more laid back IMO, without the horrendous consumer feeding frenzy & traffic lines that one used to get in the UK (eg lines of 1hour+ in Tescos from about 10 Dec onwards ) I was able to go shopping at 4pm on Xmas eve & not stand in line! Hurrah!

Refreshingly, businesses carry on operating during Nov & Dec, regardless of the Holiday Season - so life goes on at work & there isn't the annoying slack period from about mid-Oct to Mid Jan that you get in the UK. Here, it gets quiet from about a week before Xmas until after the Australia day holiday at the end of Jan or so when the school hols finish.

The 'Carols by Candlelight' held in many parks etc here, with families enjoying picnics with friends & a great sing-song afterwards, are IMO quite magical.

Anya.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000

nicky
Boxing day normally starts with a hearty breakfast and then down to the Bandstand in Eastbourne (lived there until last year) to meet friends, mulled wine and dancing to the band until 12. We then go to the pub for a couple and home to a buffett like yours. Open house from about 2.00 pm. I usually cook a ham, rib of beef, cheeses and pickles etc. Unlike you though I do like my guests to go home!!!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:39 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Boxing day normally starts with a hearty breakfast and then down to the Bandstand in Eastbourne (lived there until last year) to meet friends, mulled wine and dancing to the band until 12. We then go to the pub for a couple and home to a buffett like yours. Open house from about 2.00 pm. I usually cook a ham, rib of beef, cheeses and pickles etc. Unlike you though I do like my guests to go home!!!!!!

Vanessa, hope you're going to get a big place Sounds like you may need it
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
Vanessa, hope you're going to get a big place Sounds like you may need it
here's hoping
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't wait. Christmas at Vanessas house woohoo.
I was wondering how I was going to get out of cooking this year......Thanks Vanessa, see you then
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by biggy
WE COULD TRAVEL DOWN FROM QLD VANESSA.........................BORDY CAN WE HUV A BED AT URS LOL

The more the merrier Heather. Always welcome.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my first Christmas in 3 years back in the Uk this year. I'm not one to usually get homesick but I have to admit Christmas is one thing that does get me. There really is something about the lead up, the crispness in the air and just that sense of excitement which seems to be everywhere in the Uk. We've made a bit of a decision to do every other Christmas there. When we're in Oz we usually do an 'orphans christmas' anyhow and gather random waifs and strays together for a big party (but I'm Glad vanessa's taking that on this year )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.