Christmas

Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas

This will probably seem like a stupid question, but do you have Christmas trees in Oz ? I take it you don't have real ones as they wouldn't last but do they put up fake ones and, if so, am I best of buying one and shipping it or getting one over there ?

Just checking if it would be worth picking one up in the sales
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:48 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Christmas

Nuytsia floribunda - "Christmas Tree"
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ohippy
This will probably seem like a stupid question, but do you have Christmas trees in Oz ? I take it you don't have real ones as they wouldn't last but do they put up fake ones and, if so, am I best of buying one and shipping it or getting one over there ?

here have a look at this

http://www.shoal.net.au/~seabreeze/c...stmas.html#top

hope it helps your planning for xmas

Debs xxxx
Old Sep 6th 2004, 12:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, from what I remember, we always had pathetic looking real ones, or ones that were just pine trees.

But they have fake ones here too.

I have a pic, but it's too big too attach now. I'll see if I can find the christmas thread we once had, it's in there.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
here have a look at this

http://www.shoal.net.au/~seabreeze/c...stmas.html#top

hope it helps your planning for xmas

Debs xxxx
No stockings !! I just can't accept that - my kids would have a fit if they didn't have a stocking on the end of their bed when they woke up !
Old Sep 6th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Christmas

Not only do they have fake ones, but they get two outings!!! Recently people are celebrating charismas in July, so that the Christmas tress can come out in the colder weather.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Hi H,

When we were in Perth over Christmas the decorations were more severe than we get around Bradley Stoke - and you know that's saying something! They even do bus tours and have massive competitions for the best decorated house. I don't know about indoors but Paul's uncle certainly had fake tree and all the trimmings around the house.

How was your trip?

Lucy x
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Hi H,

When we were in Perth over Christmas the decorations were more severe than we get around Bradley Stoke - and you know that's saying something! They even do bus tours and have massive competitions for the best decorated house. I don't know about indoors but Paul's uncle certainly had fake tree and all the trimmings around the house.

How was your trip?

Lucy x
Had a great time thanks Lucy - even though the weather in Mandurah was appalling - high winds and rain like I've never seen before. Spent a week in Adelaide then a week in Mandurah. Got back and one of Paul's working buddies is just waiting for his visa having never visited the place. He didn't believe Paul when he told him that the cost of living wasn't that cheap especially compared to wages. Still the quality of life couldn't be better - so relaxed compared to back here and I am so sick of having to rush to be everywhere for everyone else. Desparate to get there - so you'd better get a big place to live so we can stay with you when we first get there lol.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

They have real Christmas trees here in Sydney, but I bet the needles fall out really quickly. Last Christmas was so hot. If you can buy a good falsy in the sale, why not just stick it in the container and bring it over!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

They do have real ones, friends of ours go and get one every year from the Swan Valley, apparantly you go and chose it early on then collect nearer xmas and its very popular
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Hi H,

How was your trip?

Lucy x

Yeah, they do that here too. Organised bus trips come from out of the CBD to our lil suburb to see this infamous street. We went last year, felt like you were at a carnival or something, with all the people/lights/music
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:53 am
owieb

We haven't bothered with any decorations since being here, just doesn't feel like christmas, but then I have never been a big christmas person (though I love buying and giving presents!).

There's loads of decorations all over town and people cover their houses in lights and plastic snowman, but it to me it just looks so out of place.

GMTV (UK version) were broadcasting from Cottesloe a couple of Christmases ago and wanted any expats to go to the beach so that they could say "hello" to family and friends back in the UK and to show them how the Australians celebrate christmas!?! The TV company turned up, stuck a christmas tree in the sand, setup up a pile of presents, some fake snowman, santas grotto etc, then a herd of expats rolled in doing the merry christmas thing. All the other people on the beach were just staring at them wondering what the hell was going on!

Maybe once we have kids my attitude will change and we'll have a festive palm!

Last edited by owieb; Sep 7th 2004 at 3:03 am.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 3:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swifts
They do have real ones, friends of ours go and get one every year from the Swan Valley, apparantly you go and chose it early on then collect nearer xmas and its very popular
If that was the UK you'd choose your tree and return to find the whole field ripped off by scousers.