Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chrismas heatwave/snow

Chrismas heatwave/snow

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chrismas heatwave/snow

Do you think Christmas is better cold or hot?

This will be my last cold Christmas for a while - then I'll have hot Christmas' (or is that 'Christmi?)

Wondered if anyone has an opinion.............

After all Jesus was born in a desert...........as someone pointed out to me last night

Cas
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chrismas heatwave/snow

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

This will be my last cold Christmas for a while - then I'll have hot Christmas' (or is that 'Christmi?)

After all Jesus was born in a desert...........as someone pointed out to me last night

Cas
Definitely should be cold!
And as for Jesus - breakfast TV here yesterday annoucned that Australia should "forget all this religious junk and stuff about Jesus, and just celebrate the true meaning of Christmas - presents and fun for the children".......is it just me or has someone missed the point there........
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Definitely should be cold!
And as for Jesus - breakfast TV here yesterday annoucned that Australia should "forget all this religious junk and stuff about Jesus, and just celebrate the true meaning of Christmas - presents and fun for the children".......is it just me or has someone missed the point there........
LOL
Think they missed the point.........................
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:37 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

"forget all this religious junk and stuff about Jesus, and just celebrate the true meaning of Christmas - presents and fun for the children".......
They really said that? I don't like Christmas. Don't believe in the religious bit so what's the point in the rest?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wmoore
They really said that? I don't like Christmas. Don't believe in the religious bit so what's the point in the rest?
Think of those sorrowful eyes of the little children..........you cruel hearted man
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

LOL
Think they missed the point.........................

So much so that they should be referred to the 'People who post' thread perhaps!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ushas
So much so that they should be referred to the 'People who post' thread perhaps!

You trying to take over this one as well?!!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

You trying to take over this one as well?!!

Just a bit of proactive marketing...mwahahahhaa (yes that's more evil laughter)
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Cas
Should definatly be cold, Somehow the christmas tipple is'nt the same unless its cold outside, and everyone is discussing whether there will be snow on Christmas day.

Di
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yep, they really said it - they were talking about making Christmas like it is in the US, just a "holiday" and about abolishing nativity plays and cribs in schools. This batty woman was saying that children don't want or need all that sort of thing distrating them from enjoying themselves. I thought she was kidding at first, but no, she was deadly serious. She really was spouting about Christmas "having nothing to do with religion"
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, they really said it - they were talking about making Christmas like it is in the US, just a "holiday" and about abolishing nativity plays and cribs in schools. This batty woman was saying that children don't want or need all that sort of thing distrating them from enjoying themselves. I thought she was kidding at first, but no, she was deadly serious. She really was spouting about Christmas "having nothing to do with religion"
They should get back to the original concept of a fire festival, corresponding with the winter solstice period
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I taught a lovely little girl (9 years old) a couple of years ago who's family were all agnostic. When we were doing Christmas activities she said that they didn't believe in Jesus and all that. I asked her why they celebrated Christmas then. Not being nasty but because she was a very intelligent little girl and I wanted her to think about the 'other' side of things. She was quite flummoxed for a bit after discussing that Christmas was about the birth of Jesus etc.. But then she said 'For us it's a celebration of family and appreciating who they are and sharing our love'. I was extremely impressed and told her so. I was really proud that she could actually put into words what it meant to her family even though it wasn't about religion for them. Not once was 'presents or food' even mentioned.
And to me both aspects are equally important although it is sad that it takes one or two special days a year for us to stop and appreciate our family in a more tangible way.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
They should get back to the original concept of a fire festival, corresponding with the winter solstice period
Bl**dy hippy!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ushas
Bl**dy hippy!
Yeah yeah yeah

Without wanting to drag things wildly off-topic, I can't let a thread about "the christian origins of Christmas" go by without having my say. Regardless of your beliefs it is fact that Christmas was selected by the clergy in order to help replace long-held beliefs with their religion.

Read http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/f...christmas.html for a summary.

All this aside, it would be very sad for Christmas to become associated completely with the receiving of presents, and in many cases it already has. Whether you celebrate the birth of Jesus, or looking forward to longer days and being able to farm/hunt, it is quite clearly a time for non-materialistic thoughts.

Going back to the original point in this context - does it matter if it's snowing or blazing hot?

Besides which, we usually get a wet, not white, christmas down this way
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Yeah yeah yeah

Without wanting to drag things wildly off-topic, I can't let a thread about "the christian origins of Christmas" go by without having my say. Regardless of your beliefs it is fact that Christmas was selected by the clergy in order to help replace long-held beliefs with their religion.

Read http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/f...christmas.html for a summary.

All this aside, it would be very sad for Christmas to become associated completely with the receiving of presents, and in many cases it already has. Whether you celebrate the birth of Jesus, or looking forward to longer days and being able to farm/hunt, it is quite clearly a time for non-materialistic thoughts.

Going back to the original point in this context - does it matter if it's snowing or blazing hot?

Besides which, we usually get a wet, not white, christmas down this way
Some people have expressed an opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.