Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chose Melbourne over Brisbane - have I made the right choice?

Chose Melbourne over Brisbane - have I made the right choice?

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default Chose Melbourne over Brisbane - have I made the right choice?

Brisbane was my initial choice because all the work for my OH was there but then found out about the humidity, no daylight savings etc and chose Melbourne instead as I do like the cold sometimes and can't stand humid weather and thought it going dark at 7 in the summer was a downside.

But after watching Wanted Down Under and A Place In the Sun Down Under I think I like the look of Brisbane more than Melbourne and haven't been that impressed of what I have seen of it (on the TV anyway).

The Flights are booked for Melbourne and we've put a deposit our accommodation but I have this niggling feeling maybe I should've gone with my initial choice.

Some input from other people would really help!

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:22 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chose Melbourne over Brisbane - have I made the right choice?

I think you have made the right choice

Vivienne
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Brisbane was my initial choice because all the work for my OH was there but then found out about the humidity, no daylight savings etc and chose Melbourne instead as I do like the cold sometimes and can't stand humid weather and thought it going dark at 7 in the summer was a downside.

But after watching Wanted Down Under and A Place In the Sun Down Under I think I like the look of Brisbane more than Melbourne and haven't been that impressed of what I have seen of it (on the TV anyway).

The Flights are booked for Melbourne and we've put a deposit our accommodation but I have this niggling feeling maybe I should've gone with my initial choice.

Thanks
I don't know whether you have made the right choice or not but surely the most sensible thing to do is go where the work is?

The weather doesn't pay the bills...
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by viviennef
I think you have made the right choice

Vivienne

I notice you're in the Sunshine Coast, do you not like it?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've made the right choice.

I now live in a city where people actually can go to the beach after work and it isn't dark - I mean people who finish work at 5pm.

The weather is fantastic in Melbourne at the moment, and the supposedly non existant beaches are busy every day.

I wouldn't be swayed by anything I saw on WDU....by and large, it's pure fantasy!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:35 am

I love it. But its not Brisbane. Lots of people on here love Brisbane - I hated living there and was going to move home rather than stay there. As I say, its a personal thing. I love the sea, I lived in brisbane for 2 years and just didnt find anything that interested me really, I found it boring (I know - sorry brisbanites, please dont all attack me). I would get to the weekend and think - what shall I do and not really come up with much in answer. The flies, heat, no sea breezes and extreme dog unfriendliness wasnt for me. I still go stay there once or twice a week and it doesnt really improve even though I am really happy now.

I moved from Sydney which I also loved, I am now on the coast and I think its great - its not perfect but its perfect for us. We have bought here and unless we went to live in another country for the experience, we wont be moving.

If we did decide to try somewhere else in Australia I would try Melbourne.

Jobs are hard to get on the coast.

Also if I didnt have kids I would go to Melbourne anyway

Vivienne
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=suzyambrose;7300990]Brisbane was my initial choice because all the work for my OH was there but then found out about the humidity, no daylight savings etc and chose Melbourne instead as I do like the cold sometimes and can't stand humid weather and thought it going dark at 7 in the summer was a downside.

Have lived in both, be aware that at different times of year one will be preferable to the other. I notice people will go to one for a week or so and form an opinion on what the place is like based on that season/time of year.

Both have crap weather at times, bris is humid this week, half of victoria has burnt down... bushfires you must have seen it, hardly rare down there either. But you could go to brisbane in july, mid winter and get weeks of sunny clear and 22 degreees, you could go to melbourne in early spring and get lovely sunny fine days,then you could go again in winter and get grey to rival Manchester.

Try and imagine what its like year round not just when you first see it.

Were in brisbane/Noosa, work was the main reason, i would say at the moment that would be a big consideration

Melb deffo has more events/things on, more choice of fashion, very multicultuiral dinng etc. It also has some very grotty areas, and renting there can be wayyyy expensive.

Brisbane has less events etc, think you need to be more the beach barbie, make your own entertanment type. But both melb and bris have that many things around them to do, compared to so many other australian cities/ towns.

Both are now very multicultural, however I feel melbourne celebrates that more, brisbane still seems a bit shocked at how so many races have moved in the last few years. It will get over it

Traffic, crap in both, melbs public transport is better IMO.

As far as australian cities go, bris and melb are probably two of the better choices, but I find sydney overrated, much of that is awful once you get away from the postcard sights, so my opinion may not be yours.

If humidity is your main concern, well tonight its like a pigs armpit, but its probably only a couple of months of the year, at which tmie melb can be scorching anyway, and brisbane in winter would beat most places to make up for it.

however again at the moment, i would go where there is work, many are struggling in aus to get anything.

Bris does get dark at 7.15 lates mid summer, we were in melb mid summer and I was expecting 9.30 but it was deffo more 8.45/9.00 and if the flies you get in melb are out, your inside anyway! i wouldnt make a decision on that, you can sit outside/swim etc with lights on.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 19th 2009 at 9:55 am.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:11 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

You can’t really put the two cities together and say, "Which is better?"

Melbourne and Brisbane are like opposites - which I why I love Melbourne but would never live in Brisbane.

Brisbane is closer to the British idea of what Australia is 'supposed' to be like. It's ultra laidback and all about beaches.

Melbourne is more about culture and fashion. It's more of a 'big city'. It certainly has plenty in the way of Australian stereotypes, but it's more cosmopolitan than Brisbane.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the great replies, my OH has got an interview lined up for him for whenever we get there and we are in touch with another member of BE who has advertised for work a couple of times. 90% of the jobs are in Brisbane for barbering but I suppose everyones hair grows wherever you live!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:56 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll love it.Its like one big Daisy Nook
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukecadet
You'll love it.Its like one big Daisy Nook
As in the place Daisy Nook?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:24 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
As in the place Daisy Nook?
yeah, crime lake an all that
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like I made the right choice, it's hard when you're not there and all you have to go off is what you see on TV!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne every time. Its been a bit humid this week in Melbourne and I hate it.

I like Brisbane but cannot stand the summers. Also the daylight saving is a bummer.

I have lived in Sydney too and Melbourne is the place for me.

I like 10 months of the year here in Melbourne, Jan and Feb should be dropped off the calendar as far as I am concerned but the rest is great.

Like the winters, we get rain which we need and I like to have the wood burner going in the evening.

Melbourne has something for everyone. Parts may not be visually appealing to some people but you cannot be entertained by good looking bricks and mortar and neat lawns which are cut with a ruler like my friend's subdivision in Brisbane .
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by SNH
You can’t really put the two cities together and say,

Brisbane is closer to the British idea of what Australia is 'supposed' to be like. It's ultra laidback and all about beaches.
Minus the beaches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.