Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CHOOSING ! HOW DID YOU DECIDE AND WHY WITHOUT A TRIP THERE?!?!?!

Wikiposts

CHOOSING ! HOW DID YOU DECIDE AND WHY WITHOUT A TRIP THERE?!?!?!

Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CHOOSING ! HOW DID YOU DECIDE AND WHY WITHOUT A TRIP THERE?!?!?!

GOOD AFTERNOON,
SORRY TO POST SUCH AN OBVIOUS QUESTION BUT MY HUSBAND AND I WITH OUR 4 CHILDREN ARE STRUGGLING WITH WERE TO IMMIGRATE TO.
WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING, DISCUSSING AND TALKING TO PEOPLE WE KNOW WITH FAMILY ABROAD HERE AND I'VE BEEN LURKING ON THIS WEB PAGE FOR ADVISE BUT TO NO AVAIL AS TO WERE WE SHOULD GO ?

I AM A NURSE SO AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THE DOOR IS PRETTY MUCH OPEN.

SO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ADVISE ON HOW YOU DECIDED TO IMMIGRATE HERE WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVISE.

WE WANT A BETTER LIFESTYLE FOR US AND THE FAMILY AS WELL AS HAVING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THEIR FUTURES. NORTHERN IRELAND JUST DOESNT OFFER EITHER.

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU
JENNIFER AND JONATHAN
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHOOSING ! HOW DID YOU DECIDE AND WHY WITHOUT A TRIP THERE?!?!?!

Hello,

I would really recommend a trip first to take in a couple of cities so you can get a feel for them. However, with 4 children this may be out of the question! There are lots of nurses on here who I'm sure could give you the lowdown on where they are.

There is a good search facility at the top of this page - if you go to advanced and put nursing and click the Australia section you should get lots of threads to help.

I'm a teacher myself and had lots of background info from friends and family, and visited so in a different situation really. Just thought I would reply and hope I've helped a bit.

Finally, a friendly tip. If you use capitals, it looks as though you are shouting and it puts some people off! Just thought I'd share.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

louloulynt has a brilliant futurelouloulynt has a brilliant futurelouloulynt has a brilliant futurelouloulynt has a brilliant futurelouloulynt has a brilliant futurelouloulynt has a brilliant future

We are in the same boat really, 3 kids making it hard to go out to try places. My husband is a paramedic and I work in a grammar school covering absent teachers.

Its very hard to make the decision not knowing whether I will get a job or not.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
GOOD AFTERNOON,
SORRY TO POST SUCH AN OBVIOUS QUESTION BUT MY HUSBAND AND I WITH OUR 4 CHILDREN ARE STRUGGLING WITH WERE TO IMMIGRATE TO.
WE HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING, DISCUSSING AND TALKING TO PEOPLE WE KNOW WITH FAMILY ABROAD HERE AND I'VE BEEN LURKING ON THIS WEB PAGE FOR ADVISE BUT TO NO AVAIL AS TO WERE WE SHOULD GO ?

SO IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ADVISE ON HOW YOU DECIDED TO IMMIGRATE HERE WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVISE.

WE WANT A BETTER LIFESTYLE FOR US AND THE FAMILY AS WELL AS HAVING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THEIR FUTURES. NORTHERN IRELAND JUST DOESNT OFFER EITHER.

JENNIFER AND JONATHAN

With 4 kids, somewhere closer to the UK??? Close family ties? price trips back to UK, X 6.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
With 4 kids, somewhere closer to the UK??? Close family ties? price trips back to UK, X 6.
Personlly, I'm shocked at the number of people who emmigrate without ever visiting the place, and expect it to be perfect. Regardless of whether you have kids or not, you really have to visit somewhere to see what it is like.

You're talking about the rest of your lives for children so surely you want them to be in the best possible place - and how can you determine that from a website and map?

I think you have to be prepared to make a trip somewhere to check it out...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Personlly, I'm shocked at the number of people who emmigrate without ever visiting the place, and expect it to be perfect. Regardless of whether you have kids or not, you really have to visit somewhere to see what it is like.

You're talking about the rest of your lives for children so surely you want them to be in the best possible place - and how can you determine that from a website and map?

I disagree! A short trip does not give you any idea of what it is like to live somewhere! It is however, a purely personal choice. There are numerous threads about the benefits of visiting or not prior to moving.

To the OP, give some careful consideration to what you are hoping to gain from the move to Aus then research like crazy to see which areas are most likely to meet them eg do you want good weather all year? Do you want good surfing beaches? What jobs do you do & where are you most likely to find work? Yes, as a nurse, you could probably go anywhere but what about your OH? How old are your kids & what needs do they have?
The search button is now your new best friend! It is time consuming but well worthwhile. Also don't forget to check out the nurses forum on here.
Good luck!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the op that visiting really does not give an idea, all it gives is scenery and a holiday feel. Its the nitty gritty of every day life that you need and that takes months. Most of what you see on holiday is what you see in brochures etc anyway.

As other op said visit nurses threads and see what the experiences of those who have already arrived have and where they are situate.

Also think about weather. Do you like to have four seasons of the year. Can you put up with humidity. Do you want to live near the beach. Each State is different, sort of like another country really, they have different laws and different wage structures for nurses and teachers etc.

Do you want to live in a big city or a smaller town. Nurses are needed everywhere in Aus so you have plenty to choose from.

Perth is in Western Australia and a long way from Eastern Australia. The distances between the large cities are much greater than in UK its a huge place.

The UK and the State of Victoria are about the same size. Tasmania is the smallest State, then Victoria and all the other States are much larger. West Australia being the largest State.

Education system is slightly different from State to State.

Once you have thought about the type of climate you would like to have then you can start to look at places that would suit you.

Good luck lots of surfing the web and reading for you.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals

I agree with the op that visiting really does not give an idea, all it gives is scenery and a holiday feel. Its the nitty gritty of every day life that you need and that takes months. Most of what you see on holiday is what you see in brochures etc anyway.

That totally depends on what you do with your time, yep most people holiday, that is a total waste of time and money.

However you could refuse flat to see anything touristy, spend days trawling schools, food stores, houses, asking questions on climate year round, search for jobs, rush hour traffic, travel round wealthy and poor suburbs so you get a more rounded picture of social issues.

A reccie can tell you heaps, the only reason it doesnt for many is they spend it at Dreamworld
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

A reccie can tell you heaps, the only reason it doesnt for many is they spend it at Dreamworld
That sounds like a good preparation for Queensland
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Hmmm what about the 10 pound poms???
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:50 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Can I suggest a visit to the computer shop to have your 'shift' key unstuck?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Hmmm what about the 10 pound poms???
Slightly different scenario though....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I disagree! A short trip does not give you any idea of what it is like to live somewhere! It is however, a purely personal choice. There are numerous threads about the benefits of visiting or not prior to moving.
I totally agree - but the OP was talking about going to a new country, as in emigrating, without having been there before - ever! Thus to my mind a short trip with that in mind is totally different to

a - never having been to the place at all and relying on forums and pictures

b - going with a view to understanding costs, opportunities etc, which is totally different to going somewhere on a holiday and thinking 'hhmmm we can live her'

Thus I stand by my point - the original OP asked if you can move somwhere by choice without visitng and I'm thus amazed how anyone could do this, by choice (and not work moving you), without having visited the or a country.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:16 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
GOOD AFTERNOON,

JENNIFER AND JONATHAN
Perhaps just don't look at the big cities , many people find they can have a better lifestyle in the country areas, plenty of really nice towns or small regional cities especailly on the coast that are nice places to live with great beaches and housing is more affordable then the big cities , being a nurse theres plenty of jobs in country areas.
No one can tell you or give you an answer on where is the best place to live in OZ, some people love one place while others hate it, as people want different things.
The only way you can really find the bestplace to live is to hire a campervan and spend 3-6 months driving around OZ. Other then that you will just have to choose somewhere an random that looks good.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 7th 2009 at 6:25 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree - but the OP was talking about going to a new country, as in emigrating, without having been there before - ever! Thus to my mind a short trip with that in mind is totally different to

a - never having been to the place at all and relying on forums and pictures

b - going with a view to understanding costs, opportunities etc, which is totally different to going somewhere on a holiday and thinking 'hhmmm we can live her'

Thus I stand by my point - the original OP asked if you can move somwhere by choice without visitng and I'm thus amazed how anyone could do this, by choice (and not work moving you), without having visited the or a country.

Fair point but for many, the cost of a trip can be prohibitive. I know in the long run it can be cheaper than moving & then realising it was a mistake but there are many who have done reccies & still decided it's not for them once they have actually lived here. You have to do what is right for you but either way, research, research, research!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.