Wikiposts

Chooks!

Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chooks!

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't forget you need to feed them lion bars to get the lion brand on the eggs .

Im not sure I want to now about a lion's bar :scared:
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Im not sure I want to now about a lion's bar :scared:
It's the bone you need to watch out for.........wishbone of course
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:29 am
PommieLeague

Seriously, why do chucks cackle? Is it to do with them laying eggs or is it when they are aggitated?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:32 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Seriously, why do chucks cackle? Is it to do with them laying eggs or is it when they are aggitated?
You'd bloody cackle if you had to pass something four times the size of your "Mary" each day :scared: :scared:

Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:41 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
You'd bloody cackle if you had to pass something four times the size of your "Mary" each day :scared: :scared:
I do every morning, but its a bit softer.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:44 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
We did have roosters, but we lived in the country. We got lots of cute chicks(sometimes up to 12 at a time!!). Problem was, a lot of those chicks were roosters, so had to be 'gotten rid of' after a while, they kept fighting. My dad couldn't do it, but a friend did, and put them in the soup. I never ate that soup though! Geez, I gave them all names! (the twelve were all January, Feb, March etc. I could even tell them apart.....
Silkies were flipsy and flopsy, but one was nicknamed 'Fluffbum'.
Love the names Simone, esp, the calender chooks, but have to say Larisa's idea of naming them after us expats is "inspired".

Larissa, if you have a lazy chook that just wants to drink all day, can you pleeeeeeaaaase name it after me ?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:48 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
Oh Shucks! Sorry Larissa! I can eat my chooks because they're not my mates, my social life is a bit more interesting than THAT. I grew up on a farm so I have no issues with eating chooks, can't eat pork or veal though as I don't believe in eating anything I can't personally kill - so I guess you're safe mate.
You and me both G'day.

Mr VK is always disgusted with my stories of us growing up on a farm and killing animals.

Apart from the one where I killed my first rabbit and forgot my father instructions of turning it upside down before wringing its neck. Result...... rabbit pee all down my leg

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Mar 4th 2005 at 1:49 am. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:51 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
You and me both G'day.

Mr VK is always disgusted with my stories of us growing up on a farm and killing animals.

Apart from the one where I killed my first rabbit and forgot my father instructions of turning it upside down before wringing its neck. Result...... rabbit pee all down my leg

Hello stranger, long time no hear?

Hows the Tammars on Garden Is?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
You and me both G'day.

My husband is a real city boy and when we had our first chooks and I killed one for the pot one day he wouldn't eat it, so I went down to my friend's farm and swopped my chook for her frozen one from the store and he ate that - go figure! I told him he was a complete hipocrite but it turns out he'd named the bloody chooks and couln't bear eating something he'd named. I moved the chook pen behind the barn so he couldn't "speak" to the chooks on his way in from outside and after a while he didn't ask anymore questions about where the chook he was eating came from - short memory

I do however prefer my own chook as I know they haven't been fed any rubbish and just like the eggs the meat tastes so different from store-bought chook.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:42 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G'Day

My husband is a real city boy and when we had our first chooks and I killed one for the pot one day he wouldn't eat it, so I went down to my friend's farm and swopped my chook for her frozen one from the store and he ate that - go figure! I told him he was a complete hipocrite but it turns out he'd named the bloody chooks and couln't bear eating something he'd named. I moved the chook pen behind the barn so he couldn't "speak" to the chooks on his way in from outside and after a while he didn't ask anymore questions about where the chook he was eating came from - short memory

I do however prefer my own chook as I know they haven't been fed any rubbish and just like the eggs the meat tastes so different from store-bought chook.
Plenty of grubs and insects makes 'em tasty. Being exercised by sheep dogs practicing round up moves helps too.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies

Simone - we're not getting them just yet, but as we're only here for few more months I thought it would help my sanity to focus on something constructive rather than being peed off with the rental all the time!

Mrs Dagboy - It's in the March issue of Better Homes and Gardens... it's a bit small though but would be OK if you let them range in the day. The chook wire goes right round and under the coop and you can move it about your garden so that you can fertilise different places and move them out of the sun etc. I thought the wire would also keep snakes out as my kids are always very wary when collecting eggs from our friends larger coop. BTW - if you can't get the issue maybe I could scan it, but it's still in the shops now.

Mairi - I'll see if there's one who matches your personality (hehehe)... um, just realised that if you're a bunny strangler are you a bunny boiler???? :scared:

Mr DB and Simone, thanks for the photos... and thanks for the costing.. now my plan also makes financial sense too, but the main reason was for fun for the kids and fresh eggs.

Scotty - thanks for the info and encouragement!

Leedslad - the chook run I'm planning to make is very "designer", not sure if we'll be able to pull it off as well as the one in the mag, it was painted a fetching shade of pistachio or something.

Ta for the book recommendation Brissiegirl - will see!

Sue- shouting "Tiredwithtwins" at a chook is a bit tongue twisting but we might manage "Sue"... watch this space but be patient as it won't be for a few months!

Thanks also G'day, your stories about your hubby made me laugh!