Wikiposts

Chooks !!!

Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sashimi
If you're allowed to have them, would like to have them why shouldn't you? I personally don't buy eggs from the supermarket from battery hens squashed together in small cages. Apart from that, I'd prefer knowing what the chickens had been fed, at least then I'd know there was no penicillin, ground up pigs or fish from the already dangerously depleted fish stocks in the oceans in their feed.

sashimi
I've never kept chickens...but after staying on a friends farm for the weekend a few weeks back, and tasting the eggs i've been thinking about it. The eggs taste TOTALLY different, i was amazed just how much nicer they were.

Thx for the extra info Ceri, KP et al.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you're allowed to have them, would like to have them why shouldn't you? I personally don't buy eggs from the supermarket from battery hens squashed together in small cages. Apart from that, I'd prefer knowing what the chickens had been fed, at least then I'd know there was no penicillin, ground up pigs or fish from the already dangerously depleted fish stocks in the oceans in their feed.

sashimi

If you live on a farm or smallholding then okay, but in a residential area, no. They are antisocial. Buy organic eggs, or buy from a farmer, there are loads that have signs on their gates (around here anyway) advertising eggs for sale. Also, as far as I am aware you can get salmonella from eggs no matter what the chicken has been fed on.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Dont Chooks attract other beasts that you may not want to have in your garden? You know especially the slithery kind!

lynn
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
Dont Chooks attract other beasts that you may not want to have in your garden? You know especially the slithery kind!

lynn
no different than attracting rats and mice in the uk, give me snake to a black european RAT any day............. MM
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
I've never kept chickens...but after staying on a friends farm for the weekend a few weeks back, and tasting the eggs i've been thinking about it. The eggs taste TOTALLY different, i was amazed just how much nicer they were.

Thx for the extra info Ceri, KP et al.
try reading Permaculture..books by Bill Mollison, and all will be revealed............ MM
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:24 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

sashimi
They sell free range, organic and SPCA eggs at coles and woolworths. They are around $4;89 for a dozen. sometimes $5 something... depending on the"specials"

The ("R". in Britain) SPCA ones are barn eggs which have been inspected by the SPCA. Barn eggs are just as bad as Battery eggs in my opinion.

The organic ones.. I'm not too sure how the chickens are housed ,so I stay clear of them.

I only buy the free range ones, if they are out of them I go without ...on no accounts will I buy battery eggs... even my family back in Britain who are meat eaters buy only free range. It's a disgusting practice, if they housed dogs and cats like that they'd be had up for cruelty.

Anyway, there is no prob here buying Free range ones here.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
If you live on a farm or smallholding then okay, but in a residential area, no. They are antisocial.
If it's allowed I don't see why the people who might want to shouldn't. I personally wouldn't want to in town, but then I must also say I'd feel a lot more disturbed by a neighbour having two or three barking dogs than a bunch of well taken care of chickens.

Also, as far as I am aware you can get salmonella from eggs no matter what the chicken has been fed on. [/i]
I always buy organic eggs from free range chickens. And yes, you can also get salmonella from them, just gotta cook them properly.

sashimi
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri

I only buy the free range ones, if they are out of them I go without ...on no accounts will I buy battery eggs... even my family back in Britain who are meat eaters buy only free range. It's a disgusting practice, if they housed dogs and cats like that they'd be had up for cruelty.

Anyway, there is no prob here buying Free range ones here.

Cheers
Funny you should mention that about "if they kept cats and dogs like that" etc. I thought about when there was the transport cruelty thread, apart from you, me and now one other person nobody had anything to say about it. (I'm not counting bb, wilf etc.)

The same day or the next there was a thread about cats and dogs being shown in pet shops windows, something I also find should be banned, but this thread attracted tons of response, the many million, and we are talking about millions per year in the EU, farm animals interested no one, no response, zip, zilch. Maybe somebody should start faking pictures and putting cats and dogs in instead of cattle then maybe there'd be a response of some kind.

It's the same here: reports about the appalling way beef cattle and pigs are kept in this country, animals whose carcasses are eaten by most people everyday, get no response. A report in the paper about the danger of leaving dogs in cars in this weather, where the journalist mistakenly wrote about a "dog dripping with sweat" generated a flood of letters, emails, phone calls to the newspaper telling them "dogs don't sweat."

Out of sight, out of mind

sashimi
Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:02 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Funny you should mention that about "if they kept cats and dogs like that" etc. I thought about when there was the transport cruelty thread, apart from you, me and now one other person nobody had anything to say about it. (I'm not counting bb, wilf etc.)

The same day or the next there was a thread about cats and dogs being shown in pet shops windows, something I also find should be banned, but this thread attracted tons of response, the many million, and we are talking about millions per year in the EU, farm animals interested no one, no response, zip, zilch. Maybe somebody should start faking pictures and putting cats and dogs in instead of cattle then maybe there'd be a response of some kind.

It's the same here: reports about the appalling way beef cattle and pigs are kept in this country, animals whose carcasses are eaten by most people everyday, get no response. A report in the paper about the danger of leaving dogs in cars in this weather, where the journalist mistakenly wrote about a "dog dripping with sweat" generated a flood of letters, emails, phone calls to the newspaper telling them "dogs don't sweat."

sashimi
I do some work as a photographer, and the most traumatic story i have ever been asked to cover was about the workings of an abetoir. It was HORRIFIC how the animals, pigs in this case, were treated prior to slaughter. And the reason they did'nt mind me being there snapping away? Its all perfectly legal. Sickening.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:37 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by PeteY
I do some work as a photographer, and the most traumatic story i have ever been asked to cover was about the workings of an abetoir. It was HORRIFIC how the animals, pigs in this case, were treated prior to slaughter. And the reason they did'nt mind me being there snapping away? Its all perfectly legal. Sickening.
At least once in their lives, all meat eating people should have to kill and cut up an animal then eat it.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 2:03 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

sashimi
Show the cats in china being skinned while alive there is always an uproar of protests from the West, or show the dogs being eaten. Or how about the Dolphins in a sea of blood?

When it comes to cute fluffy furry things people are hypocrites, they turn a blind eye to a"less cute" of an animal being treated with utter cruelty... show a cat or a dog being cruelly treated- whoa!!!... people are outraged.

Cheers
P.s I also agree with tooth fairy on the one about "all meat eating people should kill an animal at least once in their lives" - I think you'll find the Vegetarian population going up a bit if that happened.