Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Choice of cars and motorbikes

Choice of cars and motorbikes

Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice
Default Choice of cars and motorbikes

Hopefully not such a silly question... but is there the same choice and availabilty of new and used cars and bikes in Oz or do they favour certain brands?

Obviously the bigger manufacturers have a world wide availabilty but do you have the same sort of choice as the uk?

Are there similar finance deals to the UK?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Choice of cars and motorbikes

In my limited experience the main manufacturers are here in abundance however if buying secondhand the european stuff seems a bit steep to me. The local made stuff is actually pretty good in a meat and two veg sort of way and in my opinion represents better value for money but the running costs of the big aussie cars can be high due to them passing anything but fuel stations. I'm not sure about finance but bank loans seem to have a higher interest rate from what I observed so far.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

one (or rather two) words: Jap Crap

If you want anything decent (i.e. German) it will cost you an arm and a leg
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:49 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinH

just watch for the availability of parts for non-jap. Quite a few euro cars are made in south africa, china and alike so you arent really getting the same - just paying a huge amount.

for me a jap is best in aus - the last thing you want is to be in some country town and cant get a oil filter for your merc
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from VW. I recently ordered the new Jetta diesel and it is virtually the same price as the UK model. Surprisingly, the Aussie model has a better standard spec than the UK one.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:31 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

one (or rather two) words: Jap Crap<snip>
I quite like our Subaru Outback.

Someone else took the initial depreciation and we picked up at 30,000km (barely run in) beastie for $26,000.

Go German by all means though
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Owned Beemers and both Honda & Toyota in the past all good cars, the Honda was probaly the best in terms of build quality and fit/finish. The rearwheel driveness of the beemers is always good for a giggle though plus the the straight 6 engines in the older stuff were sweet as. The quality of German cars is vastly overatted by Joe public down the pub IMO......when questioned and surveyed by JD Power they sing a slightly different tune, it used to be the Jap Crap that came in the top spots not sure if thats the case now though?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
when questioned and surveyed by JD Power they sing a slightly different tune, it used to be the Jap Crap that came in the top spots not sure if thats the case now though?
I think Mazda, Subaru and Honda come out well in this.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:58 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

If you buy european please make sure you get it serviced by a good european mechanic not a australian mechanic that says he knows the car.I was a manager at a well know service centre and a mechanic in another branch said to a lady that owned a bmw that he was upto date with all bmws, so she let him have a look at it and he told her it needed this expensive part, so she bought it and when i found out i told the person that that model of car did not have this part fitted to it, so to say the least a mechanic might tell you anything to get money out of you
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I've got a Mazda 6 (coming up to 5 years from new) and the wife used to have a Mazda 2 (4 years from new).

I would strongly recommend both cars for reliability and value for money. The 6 comes with 2.3 litres over here rather than (I think) 1.8 in the UK, so it's got a bit more oomph.

Got an excellent price when we sold the 2 after 4 years.

You can tell by the above that I'm a fan, I think the 3 is pretty good too.

(My wife moved on to an Astra, but this was because she fancied a relatively cheap convertible!)

"Jap Crap" is a phrase from the 70's I think (although some manufacturers have had these mass recalls I don't recall a big Mazda one, yet?)

Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:11 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Apart from VW. I recently ordered the new Jetta diesel and it is virtually the same price as the UK model. Surprisingly, the Aussie model has a better standard spec than the UK one.
Its made is South Africa thats why not stupidly over priced, but watch for quality - mate of mines VW Golf (only 1 year ago) has been in the shop 3 time
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by killerhales
I've got a Mazda 6 (coming up to 5 years from new) and the wife used to have a Mazda 2 (4 years from new).

I would strongly recommend both cars for reliability and value for money. The 6 comes with 2.3 litres over here rather than (I think) 1.8 in the UK, so it's got a bit more oomph.

Got an excellent price when we sold the 2 after 4 years.

You can tell by the above that I'm a fan, I think the 3 is pretty good too.

(My wife moved on to an Astra, but this was because she fancied a relatively cheap convertible!)

"Jap Crap" is a phrase from the 70's I think (although some manufacturers have had these mass recalls I don't recall a big Mazda one, yet?)

Good luck
Mazda got top marks for reliabilty and build quality. I recently test drove the Mazda 6 2.5l diesel. Although I was impressed by the car, I was not impressed by the 136kW diesel engine, It had no 'go' at all and for that size engine just did not feel right. The new Mazda 3 diesel looks good and is priced well but in Australia we get the 110kW diesel whereas in Europe they get the 136kW version (same engine as the 6). The 136kW 3 is like a diesel GTi.

I've gone for a VW Jetta instead and I only buy diesel cars.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by mark213
Its made is South Africa thats why not stupidly over priced, but watch for quality - mate of mines VW Golf (only 1 year ago) has been in the shop 3 time
Actually it's made in Mexico. I currently have a mk5 Golf that was built in SA and I have had no problems with it at all and I've had it for 4.5 years. The current mk6 Golf is built in Germany and is also priced well compared to the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:05 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

nobody has mentioned motorbikes, but there arent many types that you cant get here that are available in the Uk.

Some take a little longer to hit the market here, and a very small segment dont ever arrive because the market is too small.

Dirt bikes/adventure bikes are 10x more popular here, so a massive choice in all the brands. Honda, Yammy, KTM, Suzuki & BMW.

Beemers are getting very popular now and waiting lists for the new bikes are quite long as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

We bought a new toyota corralla,very impressed with the build quality and economy.I also bought a honda cbr fireblade(had one in the uk),looking for a ktm as well.
harley's seem very popular over here.
"jap crap" that term went out with the demise of the british motor industry who never moved with the times and continued to try and flog outdated junk.