Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chips for playstation 2

Chips for playstation 2

Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:06 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Question Chips for playstation 2

We are planning on taking our PS2 to Oz. Does anyone know what is the best chip to use to go multi-region.

Also any recommended installers (I ain't upto soldering :scared: ) and I dont want to use swap disks

Many thanks in advance

Matt (Mr Garrett)
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice
Default Re: Chips for playstation 2

Originally posted by h garrett
We are planning on taking our PS2 to Oz. Does anyone know what is the best chip to use to go multi-region.

Also any recommended installers (I ain't upto soldering :scared: ) and I dont want to use swap disks

Many thanks in advance

Matt (Mr Garrett)
Hiya,
have a look in argos theres a disc u pop in and it allows you to play any dvd i think its only about £15, good luck
sue&bob
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD disk

Thanks sue&bob but its the games that are the problem. We are planning on buying a multi region dvd player as well, before we go as they are apparantley quite hard to get hold of over there.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice
Default Re: DVD disk

Thanks sue&bob but its the games that are the problem. We are planning on buying a multi region dvd player as well, before we go as they are apparantley quite hard to get hold of over there.
Hi, well we have just brought a ps2 for our son and i rang sony up and asked about the games and they said you could play any game even if its brought in australia, so i hope they are right or our son wont be very happy,,
sue&bob
Old Jul 13th 2003, 8:51 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Default any game?

Hi sue&bob

I think I might be the bearer of bad news for your son. The playstations are released around the world on different region settings. Oz is region 4 I believe we are region 2.

There is a big market in import games from the US and Japan but , as I understand it, to play these games you have to have the machine chipped.

I would be overjoyed if someone told me I was wrong. I have looked on a couple of websites and seen chips costing around £30. But to get them fitted its about 80 -100.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 9:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Default PAL games

I've just looked on the back of one of my games and it says

"This software is only compatible witg tge Playstation 2 computer entertainment system displaying the [PAL] logo.

Now as I understand it the OZ system is PAL (or a vartiation of it)

So does anyone know whether Oz games will work on a UK machine without it being chipped.

Also does anyone know whether the UK PS2 will work on Oz tvs. I believe it should be ok as I am connecting it via SCART lead
Old Jul 13th 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right on H

See ya soon

BooBoo
Old Jul 13th 2003, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PAL games

I think...but I could be wrong...that Aus games will be ok. It is a different PAL system but I don't think it affects the games. Japan & USA are both NTSC, which is where most of the import games come from.

Haven't found this out for definate yet but I'll keep looking (we're in the same boat!). I did notice a comment on an Aus site that said something like...."for gamers in PAL countries like oz/uk to play Jap games blah blah blah...."

I'll keep digging though,

Gra..
Old Jul 13th 2003, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: PAL games

Just noticed you mentioned dvd players also. Many single region players can be 'hacked' to play any disc, usually just a code punched in on the remote. Might be worth checking if yours can be done, try here or search google for other sites -DVD HACKS

Gra..
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Default DVD hacks

Hi Gra. Thanks but we don't have a DVD player yet we have been using the PS2. But I think we want to seperate the games machine from the main telly (plus the PS2 is not the greatest DVD player in the world).

There are some cheap multi region DVD players on the market now which can also handle CD-R and MP3 so I think thats what we'll be looking at.

PS I ve sent an email to Sony to check out the situation re games

PPS Gra.B H says to inform you that we need the DVD player to play my new Wonderstuff live DVD. I strongly advise its purchase. Theyre as good as ever (apart from the hair but hey I think we all sold out there to.)

Last edited by hevs; Jul 13th 2003 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:10 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by booboo
Right on H

See ya soon

BooBoo
Hey BooBoo don't think that is H getting technical. Its Mr G asking the hard hitting questions of the day.

Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: DVD hacks

Hi Gra. Thanks but we don't have a DVD player yet we have been using the PS2. But I think we want to seperate the games machine from the main telly (plus the PS2 is not the greatest DVD player in the world).
Same here again, ours is crap, keeps skipping, won't play some, and when it does play it's like everything is badly dubbed...like that old series...the chinese one?

I didn't realise that some now play MP3 , might look into it. I've been trying to convince the missus to let me buy a Bose lifestyle & used that same reason, she's not having it though!

I also had some serious hair in my youth! But I guess it comes to us all, some sooner than later!
I'll be getting it later in the week, cheers,
Gra..
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

HI

We are here and haven't got our PS2 chipped yet but we are going to soon. I think it costs about $180 all in. We can play any of the unchipped games here eg bought ones & the ones you rent from video shops. It won't play the DVD's here though and my one and only DVD bought in Uk (Grease!!!!) will not play on the DVD we bought here even though it is a multi regional one that we paid through the nose for.

You can pick up cheap DVD's for about $150.

Good luck
Diane
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:33 am
Just Joined

si_free is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry

DMS3 is the best chip to get. No boot disc required, multi region, play any game and future upgrades possible via web download!! It is the best chip around.
I was planning on having one fitted to my ps2 but have been told its too old! I have a version 3 ps2 and they are now upto 6 or somthing. From the outside PS2 are the same but the changes are inside.

Do a search for "dms3" + "fitting" to find the nearest chipping service to you. Expect £60 -£100 supplied and fitted.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:59 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Default Re: Chips for playstation 2

I mailed Sony re the games and heres the official response

Both Australia and the UK share the same TV format, PAL and the same voltage, 220 - 240 Volts. Therefore PAL format PlayStation software purchased in Australia will be compatible with your UK PlayStation. Australia operate on Region 4 for DVD's as opposed to Region 2 in the UK. Therefore only UK, Region 2, PAL DVD's will work with the UK PlayStation, unfortunately Region 4 DVD's are not compatible.

No chips required

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.