Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Chinese money drives up house prices

Chinese money drives up house prices

Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Qantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chinese money drives up house prices

Some posts here have missed the point. Yes it is technically true that "Chinese money" has driven up housing prices, but at least in recent years this has little to do with the number of Chinese immigrants in Australia. Rather, it is the money of Chinese INVESTORS (big difference), funded by excessively generous state loans back home which have contributed to the 'housing bubble' of late. I am no expert in economics, but when housing prices are increasing out of whack with average growths in Australian household incomes - something is clearly wrong.

The dramatic rise in housing prices are exacerbated by the Rudd Government's policy change on foreign investment. Previously you were only able to buy off-the-plan if you were a foreigner, ie not an Australian citizen or PR. Last year's legislative change meant that anyone is able to buy established property, PR or not. Yet there is no evidence to show that immigration growth has experienced significant growth in recent years. The policy change in foreign investment is IMO fundamentally market distorting, and no doubt contributes to a shortage of housing for people who actually want to own and live in their properties.

Last edited by Qantasflyer; Apr 6th 2010 at 4:13 am.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:12 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pomtastic

Take this example, Californian 2006, it could of been straight out of an Aussie newspaper today and we all know what happened to Californian Real Estate, down 60%?
California is bankrupt and in deep recession and they have a knuckelhead Terminator as Governer, while the OZ economy in booming.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 6th 2010 at 4:28 am.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qantasflyer
Some posts here have missed the point. Yes it is technically true that "Chinese money" has driven up housing prices, but at least in recent years this has little to do with the number of Chinese immigrants in Australia. Rather, it is the money of Chinese INVESTORS (big difference), funded by excessively generous state loans back home which have contributed to the 'housing bubble' of late. I am no expert in economics, but when housing prices are increasing out of whack with average growths in Australian household incomes - something is clearly wrong.

The dramatic rise in housing prices are exacerbated by the Rudd Government's policy change on foreign investment. Previously you were only able to buy off-the-plan if you were a foreigner, ie not an Australian citizen or PR. Last year's legislative change meant that anyone is able to buy established property, PR or not. Yet there is no evidence to show that immigration growth has experienced significant growth in recent years. The policy change in foreign investment is IMO fundamentally market distorting, and no doubt contributes to a shortage of housing for people who actually want to own and live in their properties.
Someone else mentioned you still had to be a temporary resident of 12 months standing. Is this not true?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:18 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Take this example, Californian 2006, it could of been straight out of an Aussie newspaper today and we all know what happened to Californian Real Estate, down 60%?
That's California...it's different here. The property market is fool proof.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:25 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
California is bankrupt and in deep recesion and they have the Terminator as Governer, while the OZ economy in booming.
California's economy was booming only a few years ago.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
California's economy was booming only a few years ago.
An article in 2006, 4 years ago..

Nov 20th, 2006
Is California Going Bankrupt?
http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/is-ca...oing-bankrupt/
and now in 2010

Mar 24, 2010
Overall, the outlook for the balance of the year is for little to no growth," the unit said in a report. "The economy will begin to pick up slightly in the beginning of 2011 and by the middle of 2011, begin to grow at more normal levels."
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62N1CF20100324
The way the housing market works in the US is the main difference between Australia and the US, and it is very different.

Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

This housing shortage myth is touted all around the world until a financial hiccup that reveals it was all a load of bull. It's a way the developers get 'help' from the local Govt and at the same time keeps house prices high.

http://www.toacorn.com/news/2006-02-..._page/005.html

Similar news items can be found for Ireland, all the same content, not enough supply, foriegn investors bidding up prices, ad nauseum.
My response was about whether we had had a housing shortage for decades as stated by another poster....I didn't think the 90's had that issue at all......I can certainly see why a stronger case could be mounted for it now given the record number of immigrants and birth rate vs high cost of developing new land due to dramatically increased govt charges (compared to previous decades) and the govt push to high density rather than sprawl.

I can also see the case for "where did all the demand go" when a bubble bursts.....but I don't think the fact that both of these two options (real unmet demand keeping prices strong and false demand due to developer lobbying) have played out elsewhere in the past proves which is true here and now.....though they should both certainty be taken as a warning.

Discussion of the underlying facts seems the most useful in teasing out the truth for this particular situation...I love reading about the facts, some posters continuous rhetoric laced with definitive "truths" are boring and useless IMO....love ABC and his factual approach. I wish all sides of the debate followed this line so I could learn something and make up my own mind but I guess you're not all putting this show on just for me and people who think like me so carry on

I selfishly hope we have a bubble and that it bursts big time soon...but on my current known facts, and the balance of probabilities, I believe we will probably have a soft landing and then flat prices unless something dramatic happens in China that kills our economy. Unfortunately I have no idea whether I am right or not. But then I guess the rest of you don't either.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
California is bankrupt and in deep recession and they have a knuckelhead Terminator as Governer, while the OZ economy in booming.
Aye, Californian is the world's 6th largest economy. Ireland had a 'tiger' economy that was deemed unstoppable. You have just got to hope and pray China keeps on growing at the rate it is or it's party over in Aus.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:44 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

and now in 2010

The way the housing market works in the US is the main difference between Australia and the US, and it is very different.
High rates of borrowing during boom periods doesn't seem that different to me.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
That's California...it's different here. The property market is fool proof.
It may not be fool proof, but it is a lot different.

In the US, people were buying houses intent on values rising, when they dropped, the owners walked away from the houses, and their mortgages, leaving the banks with a massive problem.

In Australia, the house owners can't do that, as they still have to repay the bank. Consequently very few people will just walk away, and wash their hands till the next time.

That is where it is really different.

Think about it, if you could get a 100% mortgage to buy a really good house, knowing that prices were going up, and you would make a killing financially in a few years time, would you not take the opportunity ?

Here we may be a bit nervous ... what if prices dropped ?

In the US, if prices dropped, you lose nothing. And they did drop, and people walked away from their debts, they will buy again when prices are at the bottom.

It was case of everything to gain, and nothing to lose for many people. But the banks got bitten.

Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:45 am
ABCDiamond

That isn't the difference, see my last post.

Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

and now in 2010

Recourse and non recourse loans, whatever. Fact is, Aus housing is now the most overpriced in the world.

Have a look at the comments on news.com and other news related websites on housing and related issues. The general Aussie public are now waking up to the fact how overpriced housing is. The Govt is realisng sentiment is changing, hence the new 'population minister' and inquiries into foreigners buying up housing. Once the herd turn, then it's all over for Aussie Real Estate.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

You are right Lord_Faquar, all asset bubbles are caused by lax lending, Aus included. Aus has the highest personal debt ratios in the world.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:06 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

In the US, people were buying houses intent on values rising, when they dropped, the owners walked away from the houses, and their mortgages, leaving the banks with a massive problem.

In Australia, the house owners can't do that, as they still have to repay the bank. Consequently very few people will just walk away, and wash their hands till the next time.
I have to agree with that. I think the biggest issue for Australia would be re-possessions, with home owners failing to meet repayments.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:09 am
Pie Eater

"[Housing bubbles] in their late stages, they are typically characterized by rapid increases in the valuations of real property"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.