Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children's Shoes - Sydney

Children's Shoes - Sydney

Old May 29th 2005, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

The Mackay Mob will become famous soon enoughThe Mackay Mob will become famous soon enough
Default Children's Shoes - Sydney

Help all you parents in Sydney!

I cannot find a single pair of closed in shoes with a narrow fitting here in Mackay for my 4 year old girl. I so miss Clarks!
We are going to Sydney in the next few weeks so can anyone recommend a shoe shop? Ideally one accessible without a car. We will be staying in Darling Harbour/ CBD.

Would SOOOOO appreciate help!
Thanks.
Old May 29th 2005, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Children's Shoes - Sydney

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob

I cannot find a single pair of closed in shoes with a narrow fitting here in Mackay for my 4 year old girl. I so miss Clarks!
We are going to Sydney in the next few weeks so can anyone recommend a shoe shop? Ideally one accessible without a car. We will be staying in Darling Harbour/ CBD.

Thanks.
I got my son some Clarks shoes from my local Myers, worth a try while you are in the CBD. They measured his feet properly for me as well.The previous pair he had didn't last five minutes.

Good luck with your shoe hunt.

Nanci
Old May 29th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Hi there,
I have wondered about this as we are still in the UK at the moment and I have a wide footed little girl!
Have you looked at the UK Clarks website? They have contact details online - perhaps you could ask them for advice. Alternatively, perhaps you could measure their feet and ask Clarks what this equates to - and see if you could buy direct from them with a credit card. Have you got anyone in the UK that could buy ones you like and send them to you?
http://www.clarks.co.uk/home.aspx
Good luck,
CAZ
Old May 29th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CAZ76
Hi there,
I have wondered about this as we are still in the UK at the moment and I have a wide footed little girl!
Have you looked at the UK Clarks website? They have contact details online - perhaps you could ask them for advice. Alternatively, perhaps you could measure their feet and ask Clarks what this equates to - and see if you could buy direct from them with a credit card. Have you got anyone in the UK that could buy ones you like and send them to you?
http://www.clarks.co.uk/home.aspx
Good luck,
CAZ
Or, you could approach clarks about considering opening up a chain of stores in Australia - wouldn't that be good!
Old May 29th 2005, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Shoes & Sox http://www.shoesandsox.com.au/stores.htm are an excellent chain of kids shoe stores. They keep a good range of Clarkes.
Old May 30th 2005, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
We have had the same problem.We went to Bondi junction(sydney) and to a shoe shop that looked like it had a good range of childrens shoes.We picked up a pair of clarks shoes (as we always buy clarks shoes) as the little one is 4 and has a narrow foot,or so i have been told.The lady measured his feet (she did this while he was sitting,and I got him to stand!!)and then got out some shoes, and said clarks only come in one width fitting.She then tried to sell us a pair of shoes that were too big .When I said that they were too big she said "you have to buy them big as they will not last the winter".I WANTED A PAIR OF SHOES THAT WILL FIT NOW NOT IN 2 MONTHS.I then went to Myer were a woman who knew what she was doing found a pair of shoes that fitted him nicely.But the upshot of it is that clarks do only come in one width fitting over here.So you may need to hunt around and find a style that is better for your little ones feet.
Hope you find a pair,but do look in myer in bondi junction as they do stock clarks.
Old May 30th 2005, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

I think that all the MYERS stores stock Clarks Childrens shoes, but only childrens.

Finding Adults Clarkes shoes is a rarity.

Have a look at the Clarks Australia website:
http://www.clarks.com.au

Old May 30th 2005, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
and said clarks only come in one width fitting..
I think that person gave you the wrong info. The Clarkes website quotes "Mulitiple width fittings" on the majority of the shoes I looked at.

Old May 30th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

The Mackay Mob will become famous soon enoughThe Mackay Mob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that all the MYERS stores stock Clarks Childrens shoes, but only childrens.

Finding Adults Clarkes shoes is a rarity.

Have a look at the Clarks Australia website:
http://www.clarks.com.au
Thanks everyone for all the useful advice.

I've had a good search about on the Clarks website and am feeling quite optimistic!

Will head for Myers and Shoes and Sox to see whats available in her size.

Thanks again.
Old May 30th 2005, 9:21 am
blossom

It would seem that things haven't changed much over the past 15 years or more.

I could never get clarkes shoes to fit my daughter in Oz, who has extra wide feet (HH fitting) and it was a real headache trying to find shoes that fitted her properly. Then Doc Martens became fashionable and no more problems, she got shoes she loved and they were wide enough to fit her little wide feet without any problems!

Back here in the UK my grandchildren now have the same problem, H+ wide feet and can never get shoes to fit. Clarkes say they do multiple widths, but outside of the normal range they may only make them in one or two styles, and they are very rarely suitable for them - usually in shoes for the young teens (my grandkids are 9 and 7)!

I wrote to Clarkes about this problem and they said they could not make all styles in all widths as it isn't cost effective and after carrying out regular surveys they found that the widths they do meet their customers needs. (well not this one I can assure you). On my last recent trip to Clarkes, the shop assistant said they regularly have to put children in shoes 1/2 a size bigger than they require to get the width. My grandaughter is measured at a 2 1/2 and to get shoes to fit in her width we have to go to a size 3 1/2, or a 4 if they are not Clarkes!

Good luck to you all and hope you eventually find shoes that fit, but if you're looking for wide fitting ones, then you're gonna have double the problem.

Oh by the way, if anybody ever needs wide fitting jodhpur boots, the best fit I ever found was R M Williams turnouts.

Blossom

Old May 30th 2005, 11:01 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Children's Shoes - Sydney

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
We have had the same problem.We went to Bondi junction(sydney) and to a shoe shop that looked like it had a good range of childrens shoes.We picked up a pair of clarks shoes (as we always buy clarks shoes) as the little one is 4 and has a narrow foot,or so i have been told.The lady measured his feet (she did this while he was sitting,and I got him to stand!!)and then got out some shoes, and said clarks only come in one width fitting.She then tried to sell us a pair of shoes that were too big .When I said that they were too big she said "you have to buy them big as they will not last the winter".I WANTED A PAIR OF SHOES THAT WILL FIT NOW NOT IN 2 MONTHS.I then went to Myer were a woman who knew what she was doing found a pair of shoes that fitted him nicely.But the upshot of it is that clarks do only come in one width fitting over here.So you may need to hunt around and find a style that is better for your little ones feet.
Hope you find a pair,but do look in myer in bondi junction as they do stock clarks.

Bought my eldest 2 a pair of Clark's for school-one boy & one girl-both ended up with identical shoes (traditional black lace ups) they came with width adjusting insoles! 2 pairs of insoles with each pair of shoes, one for slim fitting feet, one for not so slim and no insole if wide!!!!! Thought it was a bit strange but have to say they've lasted well since January and no complaints from either the kids. - well not about the shoes anyway!! Found Myers staff very helpful and measured well, we'd bought them trainers just before leaving the Uk and all 4 kids measured the same there and here.

Phil x