Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children's immunisations

Children's immunisations

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice
Default Children's immunisations

I am really worried 'cos my children haven't had their childhood vaccinations, and even though it isn't law in Oz to have them done, our friends were asked to show their children's vaccine history at their medical. Has anyone else not had their children done but found that it was ok?
Sue
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children's immunisations

Originally Posted by southstander
I am really worried 'cos my children haven't had their childhood vaccinations, and even though it isn't law in Oz to have them done, our friends were asked to show their children's vaccine history at their medical. Has anyone else not had their children done but found that it was ok?
Sue

I think there has been a few threads about immunisations, especially the MMR. I cant remember exactly but if you do a search then something will come up. Our son has had all immunisations to date apart from his MMR booster but we are waiting on an appointment for it. He never had his first MMR until he was 3 but that is the only thing we delayed. Good luck on the search
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i dont know how to copy links but if you type MMR in to the search option, loads come up with really good info.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Originally Posted by angel17796
I think there has been a few threads about immunisations, especially the MMR. I cant remember exactly but if you do a search then something will come up. Our son has had all immunisations to date apart from his MMR booster but we are waiting on an appointment for it. He never had his first MMR until he was 3 but that is the only thing we delayed. Good luck on the search
Thanks I'll have a look at that. Would be a shame to get so far only to find we failed on the kids's meds.
Sue
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Don't know about how it affects your medicals, but do know it is something we have been requested to prove evidence of for Jack (4) starting prep next year.
I believe it is voluntary but not sure what the schools opinion is - we have enrolled Jack at a private school with a long waiting list so they can pick and choose their students, maybe state schools will take children regardless - might be worth you investigating.
Annie
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:06 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

we didn't have to show them for our medicals.
However, as previously stated you'll need to go through a whole pile of paperwork before the kids start school here as the Aussies are totally paranoid/anal about vaccinations.

Paul.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:22 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southstander
Sue
Our 7yo daughter is completely unvaccinated and we will not change that. It wasn't even mentioned when she had her medical. To be honest, it is a personal decision and no-one's business but yours. Vaccination is not mandatory in the UK or Australia, and you do not need to prove anything one way or the other. You can send your children to school in Australia without them being vaxed, although if they are unvaxed they will be excluded if there is an outbreak of a *vaccine-preventable* illness at school. I have yet to work out if this is for their protection or the protection of those at school - after all, if vaxing worked, there wouldn't be outbreaks of anything and if children are vaxed then surely they are *protected*? As I understand it, you may have difficulty enrolling a child in a private school - while state schools must accept unvaxed children, private schools are under no such obligation. They can't force you to vax but they can refuse to take your child if you don't.

Presumably you made the decision not to vaccinate thoughtfully and for a good reason - is emigration any reason to compromise that?

Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:19 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good on yer Sue.

We've held back on the MMR and it's driving me mad that we have go to a GP and get him to sign a Conscientious Objector form which is nonsense.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to you all who replied - you have put our minds at rest. Couldn't afford private Ed anyway but now we know it's definitely a none starter!

Belladonna - you are a woman after my own heart - eg household cleaners etc(know what i mean). If I end up in Sydney perhaps you could recommend a good homeopath....

Sue.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by diddy
Good on yer Sue.

We've held back on the MMR and it's driving me mad that we have go to a GP and get him to sign a Conscientious Objector form which is nonsense.
Diddy
What's a conscientious objector form?
Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:13 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by diddy
Good on yer Sue.

Diddy, I dont have kids but found something out about MMR.

I was reading about a leaflet about smoking in pregnancy (i dont smoke), I was waiting at the doctors.

They said that in fags, are minute particles of formaldahyde(?) which is used to preserve dead bodies and even in minute amounts, is harmful to unborn kids.

Then I was told by a drug rep that MMR and other vaccines contain exactly the same preservative.

So it seems that formaldahyde is poisonous to unborn kids but fine to give to them after they are born.

Not being a mum, I dont have experience in the emotions that come with it.

But when I had to have my tetanus, Dip, and polio as a triple jab, I was so ill I felt dreadful for days.

Having tetanus as a single jab in the past with no effects, it makes me wonder how healthy it is to give a tiny baby triple jabs.

One doctor I use to work with actually admitted to me, single jabs require more appointments and in turn, are not cost effective.

And she added, they are 'easier for the nurse to give one jab and for the baby'.

Makes you wonder if the motive for triple jabs is for convenience for doctors, nurses and lastly, they think its kinder to jab the baby once as opposed to more often.

But however you look at it, single jabs are less likely to make you have side effects than a triple.

Im not saying dont vaccinate, just can it be done with single jabs?

And how come formaldahyde is fine in jabs? When as they so rightly say, its used to preserve dead bodies?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

I have noticed that a lot of the immunisations that Todd is having are as individual injections - I compare this with Jack who was immunised in the UK with a single injection.
Personally seeing Todd have 3 separate injections and drops in the mouth at 8 weeks was much worse than having combined injections. However again in my personal opinion it was not a choice as to whether I would take a chance over my children being protected.
Immunisations is a very personal subject - I have asked for a lot of opinion about the chicken pox vaccination which is not available in the UK but is available privately here. It is not until you here the stories of children who have not been vaccinated (direct from nurses who have dealt with them) that you begin to question whether you should take the extra precaution.
Anyway like I said all very personal choices and I am not about to judge people on their decisions, just thought I would share some experiences of differences between UK & Oz procedures.
Annie
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Our 7yo daughter is completely unvaccinated and we will not change that. It wasn't even mentioned when she had her medical. To be honest, it is a personal decision and no-one's business but yours. Vaccination is not mandatory in the UK or Australia, and you do not need to prove anything one way or the other. You can send your children to school in Australia without them being vaxed, although if they are unvaxed they will be excluded if there is an outbreak of a *vaccine-preventable* illness at school. I have yet to work out if this is for their protection or the protection of those at school - after all, if vaxing worked, there wouldn't be outbreaks of anything and if children are vaxed then surely they are *protected*? As I understand it, you may have difficulty enrolling a child in a private school - while state schools must accept unvaxed children, private schools are under no such obligation. They can't force you to vax but they can refuse to take your child if you don't.

Presumably you made the decision not to vaccinate thoughtfully and for a good reason - is emigration any reason to compromise that?

Sue
Hi Sue, I think the schools/society's concern with unvaxed kids is that they need to have a high percentage vaxed otherwise a 'break out' is possible. If a break out occured it would not only effect children whose parents had chosen not to vax, but also children who had not been vaxed due to their age ie. newborns, babies, elderly.

However, it is every parents individual choice to make. No-one should be coherced into vaxinating their child. I personally chose to vax mine because I had personal experience of meeting people affected by the diseases the vax's are against. The lasting health effects can be devastating. Luckily we live in a part of the world where these diseases are rare, and if they occur we have good treatment. We also live in a society where we have the freedom to make health care choices for our families.

Rachel
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:36 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Then I was told by a drug rep that MMR and other vaccines contain exactly the same preservative.
And the neomycin, the aluminium, the mercury (although not in MMR), the ethylene glycol, not to mention the human diploid cells on which they are cultured....

Not being a mum, I dont have experience in the emotions that come with it.
It does make a difference...I only started researching vaccines nine years ago when I was pregnant - what I learned horrified me.

And how come formaldahyde is fine in jabs? When as they so rightly say, its used to preserve dead bodies?
That's the whole point - formaldehyde isn't fine under any circumstances. There's plenty of evidence that it is carcinogenic and it doesn't belong in a living body. That applies in dentistry too.

Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:42 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
And the neomycin, the aluminium, the mercury (although not in MMR), the ethylene glycol, not to mention the human diploid cells on which they are cultured....

It does make a difference...I only started researching vaccines nine years ago when I was pregnant - what I learned horrified me.

That's the whole point - formaldehyde isn't fine under any circumstances. There's plenty of evidence that it is carcinogenic and it doesn't belong in a living body. That applies in dentistry too.

Sue
I realise it may be upsetting for a mum to see her child go through lots of jabs as opposed to one, but whilst a baby may not cry when vaccinated with triples, you wont know how ill your baby feels from an immune system overload.

My nurse said I couldnt have typhiod and hep a at the same time in case it made me ill.

When I said what about babies and their triple jabs, she went red and said 'Oh babys immune systems are different'.

I think its rather worrying myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.