Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children's ID for flying interstate

Children's ID for flying interstate

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children's ID for flying interstate

My 13 year old is off to Sydney tomorrow with her Cheer squad. We're not going. Am I correct in thinking she only needs her school student ID card as proof of who she isfor the airline? I know she doesn't need her passport but when we travelled as a family me and hubby had the driving licences and the girls proof was the Medicare card but that's no use if the first named person isn't going.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Rubik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Children's ID for flying interstate

We've just flown from Melbourne to Brisbane last week (2 adults, 2 kids) and none of us needed any ID but then that was with JetStar, maybe they're not a "real" airline
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just done what I should have done in the first place - checked the airline website School ID is fine. Also had it confirmed by someone else who's child travelled alone.

I'm surprised you didn't have to show anything. I've always had to show my drivers licence and it's Jetstar they're using.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say its 50/50 as to whether I get ID'd or not - with all the domestic airlines - but that's only when I have to check in a bag. Otherwise you are never ID'd at any time if you've done online check in with carry on only.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:58 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I've never had to produce ID when travelling in Australia. Mostly flown with Virgin. They did however ask for a birth certificate or something for my youngest when he was under 2 and flying on my lap. I would assume that's only to prove that he is in fact under 2 and eligible to do that.

Now that he's over 2 I don't imagine we'll be asked anymore since he's paying for a seat. I always have their passports when travelling anyway since that's really the only picture ID little kids can have.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by comet555
I've never had to produce ID when travelling in Australia. Mostly flown with Virgin. They did however ask for a birth certificate or something for my youngest when he was under 2 and flying on my lap. I would assume that's only to prove that he is in fact under 2 and eligible to do that.

Now that he's over 2 I don't imagine we'll be asked anymore since he's paying for a seat. I always have their passports when travelling anyway since that's really the only picture ID little kids can have.
We got asked for ID for our children, school ID was sufficient.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My 13 year old is off to Sydney tomorrow with her Cheer squad. We're not going. Am I correct in thinking she only needs her school student ID card as proof of who she isfor the airline? I know she doesn't need her passport but when we travelled as a family me and hubby had the driving licences and the girls proof was the Medicare card but that's no use if the first named person isn't going.
Just to be on the safe side I would send a copy of her birth certificate or something. We've been asked for all our ID a couple of times when flying interstate.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I fly pretty much every other week with Qantas and I've never been asked for Id. However on the couple of times I've flown with Virgin I've been asked for id every time.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:41 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jarvl
We got asked for ID for our children, school ID was sufficient.
I'm sure school ID is fine if your kids are old enough. Mine are 2 & 4, so school ID is a bit of a problem. That's why I usually just bring their passports.