British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are children's football coaches needed in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/childrens-football-coaches-needed-perth-838342/)

Mua Girl Jul 9th 2014 12:44 pm

Are children's football coaches needed in Perth?

Hi all

Just an enquiry I have a pr visa and due to move over early 2016, this is my first post so please stick with me...my partner is a FA licensed football coach and currently coaches children in the uk, he runs after school clubs and evening couching classes... Is this something he could do in Perth and is it needed?

Thank you in advance, lots of advice needed.

Mua Girl

Mua Girl Jul 10th 2014 8:09 pm

Re: Are children's football coaches needed in Perth?

Anyone? Just looking to see if this is an option of making an income in Perth?..

mulben Jul 10th 2014 11:50 pm

Probably catered for already by free coaching clinics run by the various clubs,
coaching is a voluntary position.
Some of the Soccer Academy's may have paid positions available ( very doubtful )
and
as far as I know , your not allowed to use public parks , ovals for commercial enterprise.

Red_V_Roger Jul 11th 2014 4:03 am

Don't forget that if you are asking around, you need to say 'Soccer Coach' Football is AFL in W.A.

Mua Girl Jul 11th 2014 5:53 am

Thank you for your replies this helps lots and gives us a better understanding

Thanks again Mua Girl

Brian Clough down under Jul 11th 2014 12:13 pm

I'm sure it's an option, but I'm not sure he'd earn enough, unless topped up with another part-time wage.

spouse of scouse Jul 11th 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under (Post 11333357)
I'm sure it's an option, but I'm not sure he'd earn enough, unless topped up with another part-time wage.

Agree with this - there are soccer clinics that charge kids so presumably the coaches get paid. It's not a huge industry in Perth though and as previously mentioned the majority of coaches are volunteers.

Just a thought - your partner might want to contact Perth Glory to ask about paid coaching opportunities. PG is Perth's one and only club in the national league so they'd probably have a good idea of which kids clubs offer paid coaching work. Best of luck!

Mua Girl Jul 11th 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the help and contacts, we will get in touch and see what happens :)

Dave1892 Jul 15th 2014 3:44 am

This is Australia. If you put the effort in you can achieve anything. There is loads of opportunities in fitness training, coaching etc many of it self-employed or alternatively your partner could retrain as a PE teacher and coach soccer that way.

Come with the right attitude - be positive, be flexible - and you and your partner will be fine.
Just don't surround yourself with too many negative Brits!

fromthetoon Jul 16th 2014 9:48 am

I can't tell you much about Perth but with a name like Brian Clough, I'd listen to him!
We have our own P/T soccer business in Toowoomba where we have maximum numbers, so we believe that soccer is definitely growing. There are also businesses around Brisbane and the Gold Coast who run soccer coaching as well and I would imagine they will pay their coaches.
A mates mate of mine in Melbourne has a turn over of over $4m / year and he also pays his coaches.
My B licence in the UK means nothing over here so you will probably need to do the Australian coaching awards.
BoL

Amazulu Jul 17th 2014 2:59 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mua Girl (Post 11330898)
Hi all

Just an enquiry I have a pr visa and due to move over early 2016, this is my first post so please stick with me...my partner is a FA licensed football coach and currently coaches children in the uk, he runs after school clubs and evening couching classes... Is this something he could do in Perth and is it needed?

Thank you in advance, lots of advice needed.

Mua Girl

I've posted this to give you an idea about what's going on in Perth

My son just attended this - which I fortunately got for free - and loved it

Good luck