Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childrens car booster seats, Qld

Childrens car booster seats, Qld

Old Jul 9th 2003, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childrens car booster seats, Qld

Does anybody know what the rules are regarding childrens car seats and boosters? My children are 2, 3, and 6 years old.

Cheers,

Phil.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Each seat here is sold with a weight guide for its usage. Secondhand seats are not allowed to be sold anymore although it goes on. Your UK seats should be fine if you have all the correct fittings and the Dept of Transport has leaflets on a recognised fitting service to ensure proper installation. Obviously seats are by weight not age due to range of kids sizes.
Generally tho 2/3 year olds are going to be in restraints and the 6 year old in a booster if small. I'd bring my UK stuff and check with Dept of Transport if you have concerns.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childrens car booster seats, Qld

Originally posted by philj6969
Does anybody know what the rules are regarding childrens car seats and boosters? My children are 2, 3, and 6 years old.

Cheers,

Phil.
Phil,

You can find what you need to know
here
Old Jul 10th 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Childrens car booster seats, Qld

Originally posted by philj6969

Cheers,

Phil.
The only difference between the UK and Aus I could tell was that all child seats in Aus (certainly on more modern cars) must be also be securely attached to the rear shelf by a strap and bolt. But as I didn't have any children in the UK - this is based on observation not fact - perhaps someone can correct me

The usage is based on weight - most child seats go up 17-18kg. Some seats can double up as baby carriers - by rotating so that the nipper faces the back window. I expect your 2 and 3 would it into a child seat still - I'm not sure how far boosters go upto (mine aren't old enough yet).

Oh and of course they must be in the back seat.

AndyH
Old Jul 10th 2003, 6:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old is in one of those big covered foam seat things, cost about $100. I think the little booster seats for older kids cost about the same (bit of a rip off I'm sure they were only 10GBP in Mothercare)
Old Jul 10th 2003, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info everyone, my 6 year old is not going to like going back onto a booster!

Cheers,

Phil.