Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

children picking up the accent....

children picking up the accent....

Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children picking up the accent....

My daughter who is 13 speaks with an aussie acent and i have to get her to slow down as i cannot understand her sometimes
Hubby does the same when he gets in from work but give and take an hour with me and his back to speaking northern
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Exactly. Your 16 year old embarking on the world sounding like a Bogon is hardly what you wish on your child, it is not going to give them the best opportunities in life.

Being well spoken does give a person advantages. Same as being well dressed, well groomed .....
So all Australians sound like, and are bogans?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
So all Australians sound like, and are bogans?
Has anybody said that? not that I am aware.

However there are certain variants of the accent which I am sure most people have heard and IMO my kids would not gain any advantage by speaking that way.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

That I understand, but you quoted me and then Grayling where I mentioned 'Aussie' accents, so it was unclear.

To date I have not met a bogan or seen one IRL, so clearly there is a gap in my experience of that particular accent, but I take your word for it..
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Exactly. Your 16 year old embarking on the world sounding like a Bogon is hardly what you wish on your child, it is not going to give them the best opportunities in life.

Being well spoken does give a person advantages. Same as being well dressed, well groomed .....
You will only have a problem if your kids sound Bogan permanently...that is all I can suggest..and also you may feel aggrieved that it reflects badly on you. I've met Australian teens who are very well spoken. I think it depends hugely on peer group, education and influences. Of course, if your children do not want to sound or need to be 'professional' then it might not matter.

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
A lot of younger Australians, teenagers mostly, speak in a very highly Americanised version of the Australian accent. So much popular culture over here comes from over there that many are probably taught that this is the way to speak.

As for the 'strine' accent, this is not really the typical Australian accent. It is most prevalent among country people (especially the further away from the cities you go) and blue collar workers in the cities, just about everyone else speaks in the general Australian accent which I wouldn't say is a severe accent at all, in fact it is quite neutral, to the point that Australians usually can't tell you exactly what distinguishes their accent from others.

Many people like to focus on the stereotypical aspects of Australian culture and forget about the reality. This includes stereotypical Australian accents.

Many northern England accents are really quite extreme. With satellite/cable TV here you get a lot of English programming and you get to hear many regional accents from the UK, and some of the northern ones are every bit as harsh as the broad Australian ones. Sometimes you feel that you need subtitles to understand them, and they are often riddled with slang terms.

I don't think Australia has the monopoly on bad accents.
bang on.

Originally Posted by northernbird
Absolutely. I would rather listen to an Australian speak than Liam Gallagher or Wayne Rooney any day of the week and I am Northern!
I'm glad you've said that because I think there are some awful English accents which actually are appalling and they don't stop at the North either. I'd place some of them below country strine. At least I can understand a country Australian and they are often amusing. I was watching an English bloke on TV the other day and his accent and emphasis was making him grimace at the camera in a very unsettling way and he looked like he was in pain. What sort of chance in life is that accent giving him...! And how does that look to the rest of the English-speaking world.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Some folks are superior to the locals
Yes some are - infact I would hope so. It's actually no surprising thing. They would have to be by the law of averages and the mechanism by which many people are motivated to migrate. And I think some children of expats will end up with more fortune than the locals - if they don't it's bad luck all around.

A fortunate Australian moving to the UK is probably superior to some of the locals too. 'Blessed are the new arrivals.....oh! blessed are the locals! Oh they do have a hard life...'