British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   children picking up the accent.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/children-picking-up-accent-685526/)

Dylan T Sep 15th 2010 2:58 pm

children picking up the accent....

Hi just wonder how you felt when your kids started to pick up the aussie accent. Still too early for my children, but I suppose it would be a mixed feeling? :huh:

mabozar Sep 15th 2010 3:28 pm

Re: children picking up the accent....

Originally Posted by Dylan T (Post 8850404)
Hi just wonder how you felt when your kids started to pick up the aussie accent. Still too early for my children, but I suppose it would be a mixed feeling? :huh:

My daughter still hasn't picked up the accent the aussies are speaking scottish she is teaching them because she talks so much! My son's accent is well and truly gone however but sounding more american!

Carol

tawkins1 Sep 16th 2010 12:34 pm

Been here almost 12 months now. My teenager has an aussie accent when shes with her mates but then she looses it when she comes home. My 2 little ones are saying the odd word which sometimes sounds a bit weird cos its not quite there yet. They all make fun of each others accents now but they dont realise they sound strange too :eek:

eddie007 Sep 16th 2010 1:29 pm

I love it ... when I hear them speaking Strine.... pretend that I don't ...but honestly it makes my heart sing...

Dorothy Sep 16th 2010 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mabozar (Post 8850497)
My daughter still hasn't picked up the accent the aussies are speaking scottish she is teaching them because she talks so much! My son's accent is well and truly gone however but sounding more american!

Carol

Why would your child's accent be American? There are very few American accents in Australia so I can't see it being one they would pick up.

Anyway, my 14 year old son has completely lost his Canadian accent. He's as bogan as they come now. I personally love it - makes him fit in with his mates, so it's all good. 16 year old daughter still sounds (to me anyway) the same as she did before we arrived.

petensue Sep 16th 2010 2:23 pm

My oldest daughter does not sound Australian but my 13 year does sometimes and other time does not which is very odd.My 6 year old has gone from her normal accent to a cockney accent(no idea why!) and now an Aussie accent.She was reading her school book and said liddle(little) and budderfly(butterfly) is a strong Aussie accent it was very cute.Sue.

BristolBeary Sep 16th 2010 2:41 pm

I'd be amazed if mine picked up an accent, what with my thicker than Vicky Pollard Bristolian accent!

Wouldn't bother me though if they did, would be a shame I guess. My accent has always been a bit of an ice breaker in Australia, it's so out there people want to talk more - I think west country UK was voted the 2nd most trusted accent.

Pomster Sep 16th 2010 7:56 pm

we are back in UK with our 3.5 year old- everyone tells us she sounds so Australian (can't hear it ourselves).

I have noticed she says YO ghurt though.

Jon77 Sep 16th 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8853711)
we are back in UK with our 3.5 year old- everyone tells us she sounds so Australian (can't hear it ourselves).

I have noticed she says YO ghurt though.

When I went back to the UK after 5 years people told me I have picked up an Aussie twang but I couldn't hear it. Often it takes a trip home for someone to point it out as you often don't realise.

I love the Bill Bryson Down Under travel book. In it he visits Katoomba and is stood at the Three Sisters look out when he hears an old married couple arguing, they has obviously been living in Australia for some time. They talked with an Australian accent and argued in a Yorkshire accent :rofl:

jad n rich Sep 16th 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8853711)

everyone tells us she sounds so Australian (can't hear it ourselves).

When we go back people sometimes ask us if we are australian, here they normally pick up the english and comment on how polite the kids are.

However one of the teens has started to sound aussie, I dont like it at all, its hard to work out if he has picked up the drawl and forgotten how to speak properly :eek: or has just developed a teenage grunt. It sounds awful and I noticed in a meeting I attended with him that speech like that does nothing for how your image, hardly sounds professional or polished does it:eek:

Hopefully normal speech will resume once out of the teen years, when he speaks like it at home, I just say I dont understand him.

Aussie partner is a shocker, speaks fairly normal here, but once overseas if he meets another aussie starts all this ocker/bogon you beaudy mate crap, I just tell him to shut up or walk off:lol:

renth Sep 16th 2010 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8853846)
However one of the teens has started to sound aussie, I dont like it at all, its hard to work out if he has picked up the drawl and forgotten how to speak properly

Just like my 13 yr old boy. I can't understand what he's saying half of the time - full on laid back aussie drawl, especially when I'm talking on the phone to him.

macy Sep 17th 2010 3:12 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 8852922)
I love it ... when I hear them speaking Strine.... pretend that I don't ...but honestly it makes my heart sing...

Totally agree, my youngest sounds so cute. I love the fact he has an accent, at the end of the day didn't we all want to blend in as children, nothing worse at primary school than being the odd one out. Both children have lived in Australia longer than the UK (been here for 6 years) and thank god they have lost their Essex drawl.......

Grayling Sep 17th 2010 3:53 am

Why on earth would anyone want their children to have that horrible whiny Australian accent?:confused:

A good thrashing would soon knock it out of them:thumbup:

Margaret3 Sep 17th 2010 4:14 am

My daughter has an american accent going on also:confused:, it must be her version of scottish/australian mix:huh:

bugs the hell outta me!

she came back from camp last week sounding more aussie, which is fine, but shes back to the american one, it must be the way she is converting the scottish/aussie thing

Margaret3 Sep 17th 2010 4:16 am

[QUOTE=Dorothy;8853030]Why would your child's accent be American? There are very few American accents in Australia so I can't see it being one they would pick up.

dunno, but its happened to my daughter too.