Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

children picking up the accent....

children picking up the accent....

Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future
Default Re: children picking up the accent....

Regarding the American accent, what programmes do they watch on TV?

My nephew had a serious American accent when he was young which resulting from watching that irritating purple dinosaur all the time.. No other reason for a kid living in the bog in Ireland to have an American accent!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotfuss

My nephew had a serious American accent when he was young which resulting from watching that irritating purple dinosaur all the time.. No other reason for a kid living in the bog in Ireland to have an American accent!
thought of that ages ago, stopped foxtel, admittedly am sure american films, (as she doesnt watch t.v here coz its also crap for children), are having an influence as she is allowed to pick a dvd on a friday night which is uaually some crappy american teen thing, but god love her am not taking that little indulgence away. But am sure they have a big affect on her, due to her age and personality! wanted to do cheerleading and have a sweet 16th, etc, however she's now catching onto the idea that her parents are working class scottish folks and talking such crap could result in use of never heard scottish words for her! lol

One thing , she does read more here and watches t.v less.

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 17th 2010 at 4:37 am.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
My daughter has an american accent going on also, it must be her version of scottish/australian mix
I don't have a problem with Australian accents - but I do have a problem with the psycho-babble-surburban-celebrity American one I hear only on public transport. (I've said it before - it is compulsory?)

It's a yoof thing. I don't mind the Australian accent - there are many variations and it is not compulsory to sound like a bogan, or whine.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No other reason for a kid living in the bog in Ireland to have an American accent!
Irish is probably the closest to the rhotic American accent anyhow, surely?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't have a problem with Australian accents - but I do have a problem with the psycho-babble-surburban-celebrity American one I hear only on public transport. (I've said it before - it is compulsory?)

It's a yoof thing. I don't mind the Australian accent - there are many variations and it is not compulsory to sound like a bogan, or whine.
oh believe us , we have the same problem with it , as i said above i think youngest is catching on such american clap trap wont be tolerated , lol, poor thing she'll probably start hideing her habit soon
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
Totally agree, my youngest sounds so cute. I love the fact he has an accent, at the end of the day didn't we all want to blend in as children, nothing worse at primary school than being the odd one out. Both children have lived in Australia longer than the UK (been here for 6 years) and thank god they have lost their Essex drawl.......
I'm thinking that the Essex accent melds more easily into the WA accent... afterall a LOT of Essex boys (and Girls) helped populate this wonderful ireland back in the day ... before it cost ten pounds to come out here...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Irish is probably the closest to the rhotic American accent anyhow, surely?
I've had people confuse my accent for Irish on more than one occasion although I don't sound "American". And what does an American sound like? There are as many, if not more, accents in the good old USofA as there are in the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yea, my daughter rides her 'ScooDer to the grocery store' and then wants to buy 'capsicums' and 'rice bubbles' and have a go on the 'slippery dip' in the park on the way back, she gets thirsty then and has a drink from the 'bubbler', gets home and wants to play her 'compuDer' and was 'like seriously freaked mum' when 'heaps of bugs' came out of her carrots.....add every sentence going up at the end then I think we are going that way.....aaaa I think it's cute.....DS was born here so he has no chance or Estuary English .....
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:31 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

My 12 year old still has a very strong Glaswegin accent, to be honest I think it is stronger than when he was in Glasgow - he recently made a comment that the girls like it!

The 3 year old has a mix - I notice it in the way he says his own name "Shay" and in the word "work" - Scottish accent pronounces it as wUrk, he puts this strange emphasis on the O! And well, when we say "Shay" the Aussies this we say "she", you have to have a looooooong drawn out "a" - ShAAAAAAAy
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

been here nearly 2 years and our 5 yr old sometimes twangs the ozzy accent but we soon beat it out of him when we hear it!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Dylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really niceDylan T is just really nice

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
been here nearly 2 years and our 5 yr old sometimes twangs the ozzy accent but we soon beat it out of him when we hear it!
U ARE kidding right ?
Though some ppl think the strine sounds terrible, as we now call Australia home, we hope our kids can blend in well and speak just like their peers ASAP.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:48 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Our eldest (aged four) hadn't picked up the accent until we sent her to pre-school. Even though she had Aussie friends before, it seems to be since she started pre-school two months ago that she has developed the accent. Yoghurt is now Yo-gurt, water is war-der, trousers are pants, cake cases are patty pans etc. I think it is quite cute, especially when it is mixed in with her 'Queen's English' accent (dance is darnce, bath is barth and so on).
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Our friends moved to Brisbane one year ago with their then aged 4 and 6 year old. They both have an aussie accent now, its funny to here them talk. I am sure my 5 year will pick it up quicker than my 8 year old, he sounds like a farmer, A real Hampshire hog! I actually like the Aussie accent and have no problem with them picking it up.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
It sounds terrible, wait till the replace every T with a lazy D even the news is read with tuesday is duesdaay, twenty is twenny, I just tell them I dont understand them, why on earth would you want your children to speak like that, it wont do them any favours in adult life, well not unless they want to become bogons

Gunna is another one I hate, how does going become gunna, the drawl is the worse of all, when each word is rolled into one nasal whine, and aussie men who call women mate or swear as if F and C are a normal conversation regarding airconditioning or carpet

Keep beating him
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:54 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Don't watch alot of tv I'm afraid!
Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.