Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

children not keen!!!!

children not keen!!!!

Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

keelie152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool children not keen!!!!

can anyone tell me of their experiences of making the move with children that dont want to go!! we have 3 kids 14, 9 and 4 the older 2 who are girls are totally against the idea and i am a bit concerened about the 14 yr old with school etc is there a wrong age to move them??
keelie
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children not keen!!!!

Wouldn't worry about the younger ones - there's a limit to how much power you give them The 14 year old is another story. My eldest was 13 when we finally moved and to say the last year before we left was a nightmare is an understatement She knew we were coming but she refused to discuss it in any way, shape or form. I have gone into detail on here before what it was like but basically on the final day she was locked inside her wardrobe with a box of tissues and I had to leave her to it. She sobbed 24/7 on the way over except when she enjoyed herself in Singapore and was as miserable as hell for the first month.

She now loves the place but would like to go back to visit her friends. Any older than 15 and I think trouble looms, but under that very simply they have to do what they're told, end of. You can't give in or waiver to their behaviour, however hard that is. Get her into school as soon as you can once you're over and she should be fine.

Our girls were out of school for over two months and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

The one thing you have to remember is that she's 14. It's her job to be a cow whatever the situation. If it wasn't moving to Aus it would be something else. Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:02 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Re: children not keen!!!!

Hi

I second Moneypen. We've just arrived, well 2 month ago. We have 2 girls 6 & 14yrs. The little one was really excited the 14 yr old went along with it but was very negative, didn't want to go, what was the point, Oz stinks, she wanted her friends, etc....etc.... For the first month she kept up the comments, but we've been so busy and they have done and seen so much that they never could in the Uk, that she has given up on the negative comments and is now catching her self saying more poitive things. Even comparing Oz to the Uk in a here's better than there kind of way.

Its not easy but I personnaly have not regretted the move and hope that we continue to feel that way. I would'nt want to leave it longer though than 14, she started to build stong realationships with her friends and it did feel mean to split them up.

Good luck.

Michelle