Reload this Page >

Children flying unaccompanied

Wikiposts

Children flying unaccompanied

Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Bolton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children flying unaccompanied

What age can children start flying unaccompanied?
Do you think age 9 is too young?
Has anyone got experience of organising for a child to fly to Oz unaccompanied and if so was it well managed by the airline?

Ta
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Quite a few of the airlines offer an unaccompanied child service, they look after the child during the flight etc. I would have thought that 9 was too young, I know European flights kids have be 12 or even 14 for some carriers. I expect different carriers have different ages. It would be wise to ring them and find out.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi this is not something i have dealt with in a lot of years as its more a retail travel thing than a business travel thing, most airlines used to accept unaccompanied minors from the age of about 5 or 6 i think, although if memory serves it varied between domestic and international services, children ceased to be classed as an unaccompanied minor when they reached the age of 14, again that may vary on international services. The way it worked was that the child was met on check in and supervised until they were safely boarded if there was a change of aircraft or a touchdown where passengers dissembarked than again the child was met by an airline representative and supervised untill reboarded, on arrival they were met from the aircraft and supervised untill met by the designated pick up.

as i say i havent dealt in this sort of thing for several years but used to do so frequently for children of all ages without any problems, obviously it would depend on whether you think ot would be a trauma for the child concerned as they do not have 1 to 1 supervision on the flight.

My advise would be to check with each airline direct as these days rules differ between airlines and most travel agents wouldnt be aware of differing rules.

Hope this helps
Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

When we flew out for a jollie 3 yrs ago with Malaysian airlines there was a 4 yr old in the seat next to us. Now I think think is FAR TOO YOUNG!! Anyway the airline basically did nothing, it was us who had to see to her and it really did piss me off having 2 of our own to see to as well!

9 is a different kettle of fish and if they are quite independant and not afraid to ask then they should be fine. When we travelled with Singapore there were a few unaccompanied young teenagers and they got heaps of attention and care.

Good luck
Diane
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Children flying unaccompanied

Originally posted by Bolton
What age can children start flying unaccompanied?
Do you think age 9 is too young?
Has anyone got experience of organising for a child to fly to Oz unaccompanied and if so was it well managed by the airline?

Ta
My son used to travel frequently from Germany to UK for boarding school. He was 7 the first time and we never had any problems. They are pretty well taken care of.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

When my parents lived separately in England and Ireland I often flew between the two countries as a "UM". The first time I was 5. My sister came with me the second time and she was only 4 (I think she was below the min. age but the check-in desk must have been lied to!)

I understand that the cross Irish sea flight is much shorter, so maybe there is a different age??

I was always treated very well by the Aer Lingus staff.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Bolton is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew, I am beginning to relax a bit, thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

She has travelled long haul, twice to Oz with her Mum, so I think she will be OK. I was beginning to worry I would not see her for a year.