Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children Dilemma

Children Dilemma

Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

cromergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children Dilemma

Planning to move back to Australia in the next few months with children aged 12 and 9. This is now the 3rd move and though they both seem fine about it but we are very worried about all the upheavel on them again, especially now as they are that much older.

Does anyone have any experience of moving out with children of a similar age ? Did they settle ok ?

Thanks.

CG
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Children Dilemma

Yep, kids were great, no problems they love it here.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cromergirl
Planning to move back to Australia in the next few months with children aged 12 and 9. This is now the 3rd move and though they both seem fine about it but we are very worried about all the upheavel on them again, especially now as they are that much older.

Does anyone have any experience of moving out with children of a similar age ? Did they settle ok ?

Thanks.

CG
The devils spawn were similar ages when we immigrated.... It was Kevin at 17 who REALLY struggled...

I have met people who didn't stay because their little angels "didn't like Australia"..... But my kids never dictated major life decisions to me at that age....

Is this the third migration? Or simply move?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

My eldest is on his third primary school and is the happiest I have ever seen him.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

I went to 5 different schools by the time I got to what was then the 11+ due to parents moving , I always told my parents it was fine.

It wasn't.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 6:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
I went to 5 different schools by the time I got to what was then the 11+ due to parents moving , I always told my parents it was fine.

It wasn't.
Similar situation here but we are all different. I hated all the change and always being the newby, and my sister loved it (and there's only a year between us).
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Similar situation here but we are all different. I hated all the change and always being the newby, and my sister loved it (and there's only a year between us).
Similar with my sister and I - I loved school, coped well with 4 different primaries and 2 high schools, my sister hated school and remembers it only as being a horrid experience, she had 3 primaries and 2 high schools. I left with plenty of Os and As, she failed almost everything. Feel really sorry for her even now but knowing the characters of the two of us I still find it odd that I was the one who coped while she didn't.

My brother went to 2 primaries and one very expensive private high school (none of our comprehensives for him!). He left with the headmaster's boot up his backside at 16 and has been in and out of prison ever since.

You can never tell how kids will react to schools.....
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I moved about all over the place as a child, but stopped when I was 9. I hated school as I was fat, clever, bespectacled and thus bullied.

DD stayed in one place until we brought her to Aus when she was 12, and she has never been happier. She settled really quickly and made lots of new friends.

It depends on your children's characters.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to know probable outcomes of frequently re-locating a child I have no doubt there are any number of studies done by eminently respectable researchers that in all probability reach similar conclusive predictions where similar circumstantial data is used.

Given the ease of finding information these studies should not be difficult to locate.

What weight you care to give whatever information may be available and what action you may , or not, take would be up to you.

It may be preferable to be at least somewhat informed rather than the 'suck it and see' , 'they'll be right' serendipitous mindset that seems to be the typical hit and miss approach to this situation.

Just thinkin' out loud

Last edited by BASHO; Aug 1st 2013 at 11:22 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know how my kids coped at their ages but I have no idea what your children are like so it's impossible to tell. They both may be fine, one may hate it whilst the other loves it or they both may be miserable. Comes down to how the parents deal and what the individual child is like in my opinion.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:36 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I know how my kids coped at their ages but I have no idea what your children are like so it's impossible to tell. They both may be fine, one may hate it whilst the other loves it or they both may be miserable. Comes down to how the parents deal and what the individual child is like in my opinion.
+1
Happy families make happy homes makes happy kids and all that ....
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Similar with my sister and I - I loved school, coped well with 4 different primaries and 2 high schools, my sister hated school and remembers it only as being a horrid experience, she had 3 primaries and 2 high schools. I left with plenty of Os and As, she failed almost everything. Feel really sorry for her even now but knowing the characters of the two of us I still find it odd that I was the one who coped while she didn't.

My brother went to 2 primaries and one very expensive private high school (none of our comprehensives for him!). He left with the headmaster's boot up his backside at 16 and has been in and out of prison ever since.

You can never tell how kids will react to schools.....
Exactly. One size (theory) doesn't fit all. Siblings who have lived in the same place all their lives and go to the same school can have wildly different experiences as well.

I don't fully agree with 'happy families/happy homes/happy kids'. There's no doubt that loving and responsible parenting makes a huge difference, but not every child who 'goes wrong' comes from a dysfunctional family - far from it.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Exactly. One size (theory) doesn't fit all. Siblings who have lived in the same place all their lives and go to the same school can have wildly different experiences as well.

I don't fully agree with 'happy families/happy homes/happy kids'. There's no doubt that loving and responsible parenting makes a huge difference, but not every child who 'goes wrong' comes from a dysfunctional family - far from it.
Abso-bloody-lutely.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are extremely adaptable. We did it with our (then) 10 year olds in the opposite direction and they are loving it and have made great friends and are extremely well adjusted. Most kids take these things in their stride.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Kids are extremely adaptable. We did it with our (then) 10 year olds in the opposite direction and they are loving it and have made great friends and are extremely well adjusted. Most kids take these things in their stride.
12 is harder though. That's the age my son was when we moved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.