Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

children on adults passports and visas

children on adults passports and visas

Old May 26th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

deano will become famous soon enoughdeano will become famous soon enough
Default children on adults passports and visas

hi everyone :scared: we've got our passports back today with our visas in, great yeah, you'd think! my daughter is on my passport and the visa in my passport only metions my name, is this right? god i'm tearing my hair out. i can't contact london they seem to be a completely closed shop to all contact from the outside world somebody please help me!!!
Old May 26th 2005, 3:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children on adults passports and visas

Originally Posted by deano
hi everyone :scared: we've got our passports back today with our visas in, great yeah, you'd think! my daughter is on my passport and the visa in my passport only metions my name, is this right? god i'm tearing my hair out. i can't contact london they seem to be a completely closed shop to all contact from the outside world somebody please help me!!!

Don't panic. You are fine as you are, unless you decide to go to the US or pass through the US, they insist on children having their own passports. Other countries will follow shortly though I am sure.

If your passport is up for renewal in the next year or so, it may be worth applying for new ones, and therefore separate one for your daughter, then you just contact AHC, explaining and they can re stamp your new passports. If the passport has a while to go, just don't go via the States.
Old May 26th 2005, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: children on adults passports and visas

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't panic. You are fine as you are, unless you decide to go to the US or pass through the US, they insist on children having their own passports. Other countries will follow shortly though I am sure.

If your passport is up for renewal in the next year or so, it may be worth applying for new ones, and therefore separate one for your daughter, then you just contact AHC, explaining and they can re stamp your new passports. If the passport has a while to go, just don't go via the States.
so the fact that she isn't mentioned on my visa is ok?
Old May 26th 2005, 5:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as she is on your passport. Once you get her her own, AHC will have to stamp hers as well as re doing yours.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:03 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We just had to get a passport for our baby from both UK & Aus. Crazy! and expensive. They wouldn`t have let her into Aus without an Aus one. Would she have been taken away from us at the airport and put back on the next plane to the UK??? Stupid.
Old May 27th 2005, 12:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
We just had to get a passport for our baby from both UK & Aus. Crazy! and expensive. They wouldn`t have let her into Aus without an Aus one. Would she have been taken away from us at the airport and put back on the next plane to the UK??? Stupid.
No of course not. You'd have got a talking to from Immigration and they would have allowed her enter the country.

Your real problem would be at check-in. Without an Australian or NZ passport, a valid visa in another foreign passport, or eligiblility for a special purpose visa, or if you are a Norfolk Island PR then, you won't be allowed to check-in for an Australia bound flight.

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not ok. Her details need to be on a visa otherwise she will not be allowed to check in for an Australia bound flight.

Advise your case officer that there's a problem. And to make things simple, get her her own passport and have her visa stamped in it.

Having children on parent's passports is not a good idea.

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not ok. Her details need to be on a visa otherwise she will not be allowed to check in for an Australia bound flight.

Advise your case officer that there's a problem. And to make things simple, get her her own passport and have her visa stamped in it.

Having children on parent's passports is not a good idea.

Jeremy

My children were on my passport and it still had 2 years to run, To be sure I got them and me a new passport and we all have visas in individual passports.
I got 9 months added to the 10years so that was a bonus. Woth it as we are now here
Liz
Old May 27th 2005, 6:29 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

No worries hun, we had the same, in fact having had a passport for 9 years with my daughter on it, and using it every year, didn't even realise it had her name on it.....duh! However when it came to checking in at Heathrow, slight panic as they questioned it. Tip, take a copy of the documentation with you!! Happy travelling!!
Vivi
Old May 27th 2005, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vivi
No worries hun, we had the same, in fact having had a passport for 9 years with my daughter on it, and using it every year, didn't even realise it had her name on it.....duh! However when it came to checking in at Heathrow, slight panic as they questioned it. Tip, take a copy of the documentation with you!! Happy travelling!!
Vivi
i contacted my case officer yesterday who replied this morning, they should have put a visa in for my daughter!, she said it was a good job that i had noticed otherwise we would have had trouble getting through immigration. she contacted london for me today, they contacted me back and apologised for the mix up, they basically just omitted to add a visa for alyce. they have told me to send the passport back to them and they will put the visa in and pay for the return special delivery! it could have been a real nightmare!!! :scared:
Old May 27th 2005, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

i contacted my case officer yesterday who replied this morning, they should have put a visa in for my daughter!, she said it was a good job that i had noticed otherwise we would have had trouble getting through immigration. she contacted london for me today, they contacted me back and apologised for the mix up, they basically just omitted to add a visa for alyce. they have told me to send the passport back to them and they will put the visa in and pay for the return special delivery! it could have been a real nightmare!!! :scared:

You still have the problem of having her on your passport as opposed to her having her own.

I presume you are aware of the travel hassles that this can involve - for starters, she is not allowed to enter the US on the visa-waiver. This means you generally cannot even transit the US if going to or from Australia that way.

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but we don't seem to have advanced very much as a society. 100 years ago my grandfather travelled the world for more than 10 years without a passport.
Old May 28th 2005, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Slightly off topic but we don't seem to have advanced very much as a society. 100 years ago my grandfather travelled the world for more than 10 years without a passport.
Passports were only introduced in the WW1 period (1914-1918).
Lack of money was the main inhibitor to travel before 1914, not immigration control.

The British, Australian and Canadian passport office websites have pages on the history of passports in these countries.

Jeremy