Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childminding in Queensland.

Childminding in Queensland.

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Question Childminding in Queensland.

Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone has got any usefull websites I could look at to give me some info on how to go about childminding in oz.
I work as a classroom assistant (NNEB trained) at present & have 2 anklebiters myself. I would like to be at home with them but will also need to work and childminding seemed to fit the gap!
Thanx Karen. x
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Childminding in Queensland.

Originally Posted by karenjc

Hi all,
Was just wondering if anyone has got any usefull websites I could look at to give me some info on how to go about childminding in oz.
I work as a classroom assistant (NNEB trained) at present & have 2 anklebiters myself. I would like to be at home with them but will also need to work and childminding seemed to fit the gap!
Thanx Karen. x

Hi Karen,

Not sure if you still post on here but I wondered how you got on re. working as a childminder over there?

I have been a childminder in England for 8 years now and Im also a pasrt time Special Needs Classroom Assistant ... I'd love to know how you've got on as it would be great to carry on my career there if we go.

Regards
Kari
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'm not a chold minder, but I know how this system works - we use it.

Family Day Care is run by an overseeing body in each local council (I'm talking about NSW here). The Family Day Care Centre is the central point for the carers. The Day Care Centre assesses the carers in terms of their adherence to rules and regulations, and also is the liaison point between the carers and potential parents with children who need care.
We pay about $35 per day for our young fella. Our carer has up to 4 children per day. There will be considerable ways of reducing tax when you operate the business out of your home.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RichS
I'm not a chold minder, but I know how this system works - we use it.

Family Day Care is run by an overseeing body in each local council (I'm talking about NSW here). The Family Day Care Centre is the central point for the carers. The Day Care Centre assesses the carers in terms of their adherence to rules and regulations, and also is the liaison point between the carers and potential parents with children who need care.
We pay about $35 per day for our young fella. Our carer has up to 4 children per day. There will be considerable ways of reducing tax when you operate the business out of your home.

Geez! A$35 per day, thats only GB£14.55 a day :scared:

Those rates are SO low :scared: even taking into consideration that the wages are lower there!?

Here, I charge £40 per day/£4 per hour = A$96 a day Those charges cant possibly cover all the childminding expenses i.e. using your own home, elect, water, taxes, food/drink, car expenses (where necessary) etc etc! - let alone provide anyone with an income!

I seriously wouldnt get out of bed for that! Will have to think again about childminding

Kari
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Geez! A$35 per day, thats only GB£14.55 a day :scared:

Those rates are SO low :scared: even taking into consideration that the wages are lower there!?

Here, I charge £40 per day/£4 per hour = A$96 a day Those charges cant possibly cover all the childminding expenses i.e. using your own home, elect, water, taxes, food/drink, car expenses (where necessary) etc etc! - let alone provide anyone with an income!

I seriously wouldnt get out of bed for that! Will have to think again about childminding

Kari
My partners mum is a daycare/homestay mother, I'm not sure quite what she charges per day but the $35 mark sounds about right, I know she gets much better paid for the homestay students.

As Rich has said, Family Day Care Centre (QLD too) coordinate & regulate whats going on & there are the afore mentionned tax benefits. Also, try not to put dollars into pounds, there have been a few threads regarding 'cost of living', if you could find these it may help you. A couple of examples; $35 over here will near fill your car with fuel, I daresay the equivalent in pounds gives you half a tank. $35 is a third of a decent pair of Nikes, 14quid isn't. $35 is one persons share of a night in a half decent hotel, 14pounds may get you a B&B? Just something to consider
Old Feb 21st 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbonner
My partners mum is a daycare/homestay mother, I'm not sure quite what she charges per day but the $35 mark sounds about right, I know she gets much better paid for the homestay students.

As Rich has said, Family Day Care Centre (QLD too) coordinate & regulate whats going on & there are the afore mentionned tax benefits. Also, try not to put dollars into pounds, there have been a few threads regarding 'cost of living', if you could find these it may help you. A couple of examples; $35 over here will near fill your car with fuel, I daresay the equivalent in pounds gives you half a tank. $35 is a third of a decent pair of Nikes, 14quid isn't. $35 is one persons share of a night in a half decent hotel, 14pounds may get you a B&B? Just something to consider

Thanks for that info - I am discovering its too scary to put A$ into GB£

Joking aside, I get what you mean tho x lol

Kari