Reload this Page >

Childminder/Nursery nurse

Childminder/Nursery nurse

Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

kellyp79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childminder/Nursery nurse

HI

We are still in the process of trying to sell our house to relocate to Perth. One of our friends has now got the bug and is also considering moving. She is a registered childminder here in the UK. What's the job situation like over there? Are the wages similar? Her hubby is a salesman so he would prob get a job ok.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice
Default Re: Childminder/Nursery nurse

My wife is in the child care sector, has been a self employed child minder for last three years working from home, but has finsihed her foundation degree in Parenting, families and the community, which is a stepping stone on to various other career paths.

Keen to hear from other people working in the childcare sector, as although it is likely it is i that would be the one taking us out there through my work, i would like to know whats avaliable for my wife.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on what her qualifications are and if they are recognised in Australia.
There is a lot of work for Unqualified and Qualified child care workers in Australia but the pay is not good, in fact it is one of the lowest paid jobs. I worked as a child care worker for 8 years before getting my teaching degree in Early Childhood Education, this enables me to continue working with young children but get a much higher wage, holidays and in a lot of cases better working conditions. I also worked as a part time Nanny while studying which pays a lot better but also depends on what you negotiate with the family you are working for.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer them for you.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

But, would either of them qualify for a visa? From what you have said it doesn't sound like it unless your friend has run a childcare centre with staff and a certain number of children then she may qualify as a childcare co-ordinator.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kingseat
But, would either of them qualify for a visa? From what you have said it doesn't sound like it unless your friend has run a childcare centre with staff and a certain number of children then she may qualify as a childcare co-ordinator.
Qualification for a visa would be on my job but we also need to research my wifes prospects as well
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to put a dampner on things but I don't think salesman is on the skills list. Happy to be proven wrong though. Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

I'm no salesman, you perhaps should go back to beginning and read this thread again, think you getting me mixed up with the thread starter
Old Feb 7th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

oopsie!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Apologies Kellyp79 if i am thread jacking here but the my following question is relevant to us both:-

Are childminders popular in Australia, presumably there is a governing body like Offsted that needs to be satisfied, although i wouldn't fancy Amanda childminding while we were in a rented house, that is if the house owner would allow it aswell.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

It is called family daycare here

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Here are some links that might be helpful for you:

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/regulations.html

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/familydayc...3852/?reFlag=1

Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

orient is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have a NVQ level two teaching assistant, NVQ level Three teaching assistant, Early years foundation degree level four and five, and just finishing a BA in Education studies taking me to level six. Would there be work for me in OZ or would i need to take other qualifcations. many thanks emma
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orient
Hi i have a NVQ level two teaching assistant, NVQ level Three teaching assistant, Early years foundation degree level four and five, and just finishing a BA in Education studies taking me to level six. Would there be work for me in OZ or would i need to take other qualifcations. many thanks emma
You posted the same question in New Zealand forum so I presume you don't have a visa yet. I am not sure that teaching assistants are on the skilled migrant list so do you have another option for a visa in mind? Without a visa the job availability is irrelevant.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by orient
I am not sure whether Australia recognises your qualifications or not, you will need to do some research into it.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyp79
HI

We are still in the process of trying to sell our house to relocate to Perth. One of our friends has now got the bug and is also considering moving. She is a registered childminder here in the UK. What's the job situation like over there? Are the wages similar? Her hubby is a salesman so he would prob get a job ok.
We came out here 2 years ago. Prior to that my wife was a successful and sought after Child Minder, registered with Ofsted and was 2/3 way through her qualification. Unfortunately she could not complete it prior to moving and at that time they did not allow to finish via distance learning.

Australia, in particular NSW does not recognise OFSTED registrations, only recognises SOME qualifications. She looked into the Australian equivalent of Child Minding (Family Day Care) but, and this is the issue, it is quite prescriptive. You MUST be available for the period 0700-2000 Mon Fri and your placements etc are not entirely voluntary, i.e. its not your choice who to take on.

As another poster mentioned, you can work as a trainee/unqualified child care assistant but the pay here for child care is abysmal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.