Reload this Page >

Childminder hoping to move to Australia ideally perth

Childminder hoping to move to Australia ideally perth

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

lyndiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childminder hoping to move to Australia ideally perth

HI,
I have have read that there is a skills recognition Visa for 'Child Care Coordinator 1295-11', which is on the MODL list. We were therefore wondering what level I would need to be 'at' in order to obtain this visa.

Currently, I am a self employed Childminder and work in my own home. I have an assistant whom I manage and works for me on an adhoc basis. On a daily basis I look after 3 under 5's, 3 under 8s and on occasion 2 over 8's.
I was registered as a childminder end November 2006 with the 'Office for standards in Education (Ofsted).

I have started my National Vocation Level 3 in Childcare Learning and development, end of December 2007 and have so far finished 3 of the 9 modules and aim to finish this course by end June 2008. (I am not sure if this would count towards the visa or not)

I have also attended a number of training courses offered by our County Council (SureStart), related to childcare. Below is a list of training courses and qualifications I have gained which are directly relevant to my role as a Childminder.

Keeping Children Safe - January 2007
Introduction to Working with Children - January 2007 MAKATON Communication Workshop - February 2007 The Reflective Practitioner - February 2007 Introduction to Childcare Practice - February 2007
Paediatric First Aid - March 2007
Safer Driving Workshop - March 2007
Foundation in Food Hygiene - May 2007
ICT in Early Years - May 2007
EYFS Briefing - June 2007
Health and Safety Level 2 Award - July 2007 Birth to Three Framework - September 2007 EYFS Training - February 2008

Our idea was that once I had finished my NVQ Level 3, I would have the points to start my Foundation Degree in Childcare learning and development through Open University which would take 3 to 4 years.

Ideally we would want to be in Australia before this time and once there set up a similar at home childminding business in accordance to the Australian guidelines.

We were therefore were wondering what would be the minimum I would need to do in order to get to Australia as soon as possible in this visa category if it is at all possible.
Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:12 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Childminder hoping to move to Australia ideally perth

Have a read of this http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...sSheetFAQs.pdf should give an idea of what's required

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lyndiloo
HI,
I have have read that there is a skills recognition Visa for 'Child Care Coordinator 1295-11', which is on the MODL list. We were therefore wondering what level I would need to be 'at' in order to obtain this visa.

Currently, I am a self employed Childminder and work in my own home. I have an assistant whom I manage and works for me on an adhoc basis. On a daily basis I look after 3 under 5's, 3 under 8s and on occasion 2 over 8's.
I was registered as a childminder end November 2006 with the 'Office for standards in Education (Ofsted).

I have started my National Vocation Level 3 in Childcare Learning and development, end of December 2007 and have so far finished 3 of the 9 modules and aim to finish this course by end June 2008. (I am not sure if this would count towards the visa or not)

I have also attended a number of training courses offered by our County Council (SureStart), related to childcare. Below is a list of training courses and qualifications I have gained which are directly relevant to my role as a Childminder.

Keeping Children Safe - January 2007
Introduction to Working with Children - January 2007 MAKATON Communication Workshop - February 2007 The Reflective Practitioner - February 2007 Introduction to Childcare Practice - February 2007
Paediatric First Aid - March 2007
Safer Driving Workshop - March 2007
Foundation in Food Hygiene - May 2007
ICT in Early Years - May 2007
EYFS Briefing - June 2007
Health and Safety Level 2 Award - July 2007 Birth to Three Framework - September 2007 EYFS Training - February 2008

Our idea was that once I had finished my NVQ Level 3, I would have the points to start my Foundation Degree in Childcare learning and development through Open University which would take 3 to 4 years.

Ideally we would want to be in Australia before this time and once there set up a similar at home childminding business in accordance to the Australian guidelines.

We were therefore were wondering what would be the minimum I would need to do in order to get to Australia as soon as possible in this visa category if it is at all possible.
Thanks!
Hi There

I have passed my Trades Assessment as a Childcare Co-Ordinator and I am currently awaiting news of my visa.
I would confirm what is in the previous post and link , they are looking for qualifications equal to the Australian Qualification. They are then looking three years relevent experience out of the last four in an organisation of the relevent size where they are looking after at least 26 children or more.

Having spoke to our agent about this it appears that you would be classed as a childcare worker and not a Co-ordinator as you have not met the requirements set out in the above document.

If this is what you are wanting to be assessed in you should speak to a good agent and if you have any questions for me feel free to ask or PM me.

At present I am a Childminder but have worked as a childcare Co-ordinator in daycare in 4 out of the last 5 years.

Nadine
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

So do you mean that if I get my Foundation Degree in Childcare learning and development I would still need to have 3 years relevant experience with at least 26 Children?
Lynda
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

I came over on a 457 visa as a childcare co-ordinator in August 2006. I am in charge of a 48 place Centre. After 3 months they decided to apply for PR on my behalf which eventually came through in July 2007.

When we originally looked into it, I didn't have relevant qualifications for skilled and ended up doing the same route as you. I had to gain the full degree tho as the agents said it wouldn't count otherwise.

It took me 3 years to do the full degree and didn't need any previous qualifications to start the foundation degree with the OU. It was hard slog with multiple courses being done at the same time and also had to work full time to keep the work experience current. I was a childminder but had accreditation status and also a mentor for the accreditiation system (amongst oth voluntary positions I took up to qualify for all aspects of the job description).

Those years of hard slog were well worth it. We have now been here for 19 months and have no intentions to return. Even if we did have any ideas, I think the kids would probably divorce us to stay.

Good luck

Debs
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
I came over on a 457 visa as a childcare co-ordinator in August 2006. I am in charge of a 48 place Centre. After 3 months they decided to apply for PR on my behalf which eventually came through in July 2007.

When we originally looked into it, I didn't have relevant qualifications for skilled and ended up doing the same route as you. I had to gain the full degree tho as the agents said it wouldn't count otherwise.

It took me 3 years to do the full degree and didn't need any previous qualifications to start the foundation degree with the OU. It was hard slog with multiple courses being done at the same time and also had to work full time to keep the work experience current. I was a childminder but had accreditation status and also a mentor for the accreditiation system (amongst oth voluntary positions I took up to qualify for all aspects of the job description).

Those years of hard slog were well worth it. We have now been here for 19 months and have no intentions to return. Even if we did have any ideas, I think the kids would probably divorce us to stay.

Good luck

Debs

Thanks Debs, this does give me some hope. Which company did you get your sponsorship through? Was it an agency that set you up with the placement in the centre or did you go directly to your current employer? did you get it before going out to Australia?

Lynda
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

On a 457 visa, you are sponsored by a company on a temporary visa.

I did hear of the vacancy when I was over here visiting my brother and they conducted all interviews etc over the phone/internet.

I wasn't sure if they would offer me the job so in the meantime, I subscribed to the newspaper and they emailed me every time there were vacancies advertised that fitted my search. It was expensive phoning them all and meant getting up early in the morning because of the time difference. I got a good response tho as there is a national shortage over here and most centres (including mine) are operating on exceptions as they can't get enough qualified staff members.

There is only one main national company that I know of which is ABC and they do not sponsor or employ from outside their training area so you may as well give them a miss.

I found it was a numbers game but not worth venturing into until I had the degree.

I think you can also get state sponsorship but not sure how that works.

Debs
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

mummyof6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is a childcare co-ordinator the same as a pre-school leader???
I am currently studying to become a teacher but figured it is a lot harder to get a job as a teacher in Oz so I am going to put that on the back burner, I love working with children especially SENs children, I am taking on a position in UK as pre-school assistant in order to get my NVQ lvl 3 but needed to confirm that is all that is needed and not OU degree in Childcare Studies??

Many thanks
Rachel
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

An opportunity has come up where we can secure a property in South Africa which would be ideal for the purpose of opening and running a daycare/nursery school. I have done some research and there is definitely a demand for nursery and day care. So we are thinking of returning to South Africa for between 3-5 years, and to open a nursery there. We are both South African and British Citizens so this wouldn’t be a problem. But we want to make sure that the nursery I establish fits the criteria of childcare coordinator to enable me to obtain this visa, as our ultimate destination is Australia.

So if someone could clarify some info from the fact sheet which states :
Childcare coordinator Responsibilities include:
• directing and supervising child care workers:- Is there a specific or preferred number of childcare workers needed to be under my management?
• providing care for children in before-school, after-school, day and vacation care centres; It would be nursery school age 2-4, including some spaces for day care. I saw somewhere it mentioned at least 20 hours per week is this correct?

You need to have
• a two-year accredited post-secondary course in child care (diploma or advanced diploma) or a three-year accredited tertiary course in early childhood – does this include the National Vocation Qualification Level 3 (NVQ3) in Childcare , Learning and Development by City and guilds obtained in the United Kingdom. Three years supervisory experience that reflects the responsibilities, duties and tasks of a Child Care Co-ordinator. This must be obtained in an environment of substantial size and reputation and subject to a regulatory framework I believe 20 children is the criteria but was wondering if this is needs to be 20 children at the same time or if it could be 10 children in the morning and 10 different children in afternoon. And what do they mean by reputation, how could this be proved?

And any other info you think would be usefull please let me know.
Thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:53 am

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Apr 12th 2008 at 6:57 am. Reason: Mis-read the post and answered with a load of rubbish...sorry don't know the answer
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Childminder hoping to move to Australia ideally perth

Originally Posted by lyndiloo
An opportunity has come up where we can secure a property in South Africa which would be ideal for the purpose of opening and running a daycare/nursery school. I have done some research and there is definitely a demand for nursery and day care. So we are thinking of returning to South Africa for between 3-5 years, and to open a nursery there. We are both South African and British Citizens so this wouldn’t be a problem. But we want to make sure that the nursery I establish fits the criteria of childcare coordinator to enable me to obtain this visa, as our ultimate destination is Australia.

So if someone could clarify some info from the fact sheet which states :
Childcare coordinator Responsibilities include:
• directing and supervising child care workers:- Is there a specific or preferred number of childcare workers needed to be under my management?
• providing care for children in before-school, after-school, day and vacation care centres; It would be nursery school age 2-4, including some spaces for day care. I saw somewhere it mentioned at least 20 hours per week is this correct?

You need to have
• a two-year accredited post-secondary course in child care (diploma or advanced diploma) or a three-year accredited tertiary course in early childhood – does this include the National Vocation Qualification Level 3 (NVQ3) in Childcare , Learning and Development by City and guilds obtained in the United Kingdom. Three years supervisory experience that reflects the responsibilities, duties and tasks of a Child Care Co-ordinator. This must be obtained in an environment of substantial size and reputation and subject to a regulatory framework I believe 20 children is the criteria but was wondering if this is needs to be 20 children at the same time or if it could be 10 children in the morning and 10 different children in afternoon. And what do they mean by reputation, how could this be proved?

And any other info you think would be usefull please let me know.
Thanks.

Hi does anyone have more substantial information for me??? Thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:48 am

Sorry i can't help, I think questions like these would be best answered by an agent who has some knowledge of this occupation as there doesn't seem to be many people on here who have gone down this route. Hope you get some answers soon.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

lindsey.b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a childminder in the uk and was wondering do you need qualifications to do the same job in perth? Also how much do childminders charge in perth?

Thanks Lindsey
Old May 28th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Hi

Im a childminder in South wales, Im already in the middle of my Foundation Degree in early years care and education with Newport Uni.

As far as I know a foundation degree is more than enough for you to qualify but you will need the 3 years supervisory experiance to be able to qualify as a child care co-ordinator to get your visa, although I dont think that the australian childcare facilities will be that anal when it comes to employment, I just think they will want someone with the right qualifications and capapbility to do the job.

Im one of the lucky ones my husband is a chef so he's getting the visa on his vocation, but good luck

Julia
Old May 28th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

I passed my assesment for child care co ordinator and received my visa in april.I had an NNEB (1984) and over three years management experience in my own breakfast and after school club.The club i own has five staff and we have over 20 children at each session.The minimum hours required to work is 20 hours a week.I am also studying my foundation degree in early years which i have just finished at uni, although they can't have really taken this into account as i had not finished the course when the visa was granted.I also have plenty of other experience including childminding for over two years and working in various nurseries and schools which i also provided references from since i left school, a long time ago.I don't think childminding in your own home will be enough as you have to prove you can manage an establishment of a considerable size , the children and staff. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.