au pair/nanny (your home)
5.56%
something else
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

childcare poll...my own bit of research

Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default childcare poll...my own bit of research

Hi guys, just wondering if you would take the time out to answer a little poll for me.

I'm wanting to find out about the sort of childcare people prefer here in Oz. It doesn't have to be what you're using now, I'm more interested in what you'd prefer.

So would you prefer your child to be at:

- a kindergarten/day care centre where the staff ratio tends to be 2 staff to 20 kids
- an in home carer where your child is looked after at the carers home, 1 staff to 5 kids
- an au pair working or possibly living at you home

Thanks in advance for any responses

Marie

Last edited by 68MEVY; Apr 26th 2006 at 11:44 pm. Reason: to thank all the lovely people who take part
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: childcare poll...my own bit of research

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi guys, just wondering if you would take the time out to answer a little poll for me.

I'm wanting to find out about the sort of childcare people prefer here in Oz. It doesn't have to be what you're using now, I'm more interested in what you'd prefer.

So would you prefer your child to be at:

- a kindergarten/day care centre where the staff ratio tends to be 2 staff to 20 kids
- an in home carer where your child is looked after at the carers home, 1 staff to 5 kids
- an au pair working or possibly living at you home

Thanks in advance for any responses

Marie

I have voted for daycare.........I am assuming you are talking about childcare for children of parents who are working. However, my true preferred option for those who have a choice is being at home with my children.

My 3 year old goes to pre-school 3 days a week and loves it, but I love her time at home with me too.

Rudi
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:13 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
I have voted for daycare.........I am assuming you are talking about childcare for children of parents who are working. However, my true preferred option for those who have a choice is being at home with my children.

My 3 year old goes to pre-school 3 days a week and loves it, but I love her time at home with me too.

Rudi

Yep, I'm talking about parents who both have to go out to work. I too would rather be at home with my daughter but fall into the trap of not being able to afford to. My daughter is at pre school 2 1/2 days a week but goes to kindy around that aswell as one other day. I would prefer her to be with a home carer though. We had a fantastic child minder in the UK and she did far more there when she was only with a handful of kids. The service we got was just that bit more personal and as there were less kids there was more time spent with them.
I'm just interested in other peoples point of view aswell.

Thanks for replying.

Marie
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:17 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Yep, I'm talking about parents who both have to go out to work. I too would rather be at home with my daughter but fall into the trap of not being able to afford to. My daughter is at pre school 2 1/2 days a week but goes to kindy around that aswell as one other day. I would prefer her to be with a home carer though. We had a fantastic child minder in the UK and she did far more there when she was only with a handful of kids. The service we got was just that bit more personal and as there were less kids there was more time spent with them.
I'm just interested in other peoples point of view aswell.

Thanks for replying.

Marie
the closest 1:1 ratio that I can find/afford.
like you I cant stay at home, I have to work (I earn more than my husband, but he wont not work). my first preference after staying at home is an au-pair/nanny and we have one at the moment. then in home carer, then a day care centre.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marie
I prefer the structure of daycare, the way it naturally leads onto school, no one person is solely responsible for my child and there are definite routines and other children around, special activities etc. I feel a childminder would just get on with their own stuff and they would have too much control, no accountability etc. Plus they could let me down more easily when ill/on holiday etc. or if they choose to give up.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it depends on the age of the child. For a baby I would rather have them at home or with a child minder, but for an older child of 3 or 4 I think the interaction with other kids is important.

Rudi