British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Childcare in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/childcare-perth-447357/)

leechy100 May 4th 2007 2:17 pm

Childcare in Perth

Hi all. Been here for two weeks now. I wasn't going to work till the youngest was at school, but it looks like I may have to. Don't think we will manage on just one income. Just wondered if anyone knew about child care here, how much it costs, if it can be done on a flexible basis etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I am toying with the idea of becoming a childminder when we get settled into our own home. Does anyone know of what is involved to become registered??

Cheers, Nicky xx

By the Avon May 4th 2007 2:40 pm

Re: Childcare in Perth

Welcome to Australia!

Well we came here 2.5 years ago from Newcastle Under lyme thinking the same thing, needless to say I managed 6 months before decided I needed to work for my sanity and our bank accounts sake.

There's childcare centres all over the place, despite the reported lack of places you will find one, it might be in the one in the suburb next door rather than one immediately next to your house, but i found one i liked. Turn up and have a look around and get a feel for the place (unannounced) to truly gauge what you think of the place.

Cost varies depending on your combined income, the more you earn the more you have to pay. Occasional care is paid for per hour, and is slightly dearer as such and they'll usually only let you have so many hours per week, it's more for things like appointments(e.g.job interviews). Normal childcare is paid by the day. Get in touch with centrelink to find out what discount you receive in the first instance and then you'll know how much it'll cost you.

Good luck!

leigh&ivan May 5th 2007 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by leechy100 (Post 4737272)
Hi all. Been here for two weeks now. I wasn't going to work till the youngest was at school, but it looks like I may have to. Don't think we will manage on just one income. Just wondered if anyone knew about child care here, how much it costs, if it can be done on a flexible basis etc. Any advice would be appreciated. I am toying with the idea of becoming a childminder when we get settled into our own home. Does anyone know of what is involved to become registered??

Cheers, Nicky xx

Hi Nicky,
Welcome to Perth. How's your first 2 weeks gone?

Childminders are called 'Family Day Care' here. Here's some info. Tells you how you can set up etc..
http://www.familydaycare.com.au/

Here's some more info on childcare
http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facs...milies-nav.htm

Leigh :)

leechy100 May 9th 2007 12:04 am

Cheers for that guys. Will look into it. Decided to wait till OH got a job and we are more settled before I start looking. We too are from Newcastle-under -lyme. We have just had an offer accepted on a house in Ellenbrook.

Nicky x

nightnurse2 May 9th 2007 12:49 am

Hi Nicky,
There are a few child care centres here in Ellenbrook. They have before and after school care as well. If you fancy a drive round to them give me a shout:)
Tracey

By the Avon May 9th 2007 2:15 am

Originally Posted by leechy100 (Post 4754335)
Cheers for that guys. Will look into it. Decided to wait till OH got a job and we are more settled before I start looking. We too are from Newcastle-under -lyme. We have just had an offer accepted on a house in Ellenbrook.

Nicky x

Well welcome, it's a bit of a change from N-U-L hey!?! We lived there for 4 years before moving here(I'm unfortunately blessed with coming from Crewe)

Hope all is going well for you! We live out in the sticks in bullsbrook which is about 15 mins from ellenbrook and so when I go back to work,(just had my second child so off at the moment) ellenbrook would be the closest childcare centres for us too. Congratulations on the house and good luck in your job searches.

Ange

lorrainekirk May 10th 2007 5:57 am

Hi Just found this site.

I am a family daycarer in Ellenbrook.

Setting up isn't too hard

If you need details, just contact me

leechy100 May 10th 2007 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by lorrainekirk (Post 4759769)
Hi Just found this site.

I am a family daycarer in Ellenbrook.

Setting up isn't too hard

If you need details, just contact me

Hi, I am still looking at the possibility. We haven't moved up to Ellenbrook yet. Hopefully we will be moving in about a month. If we don't manage to get in by then we will be homeless, aaaaaaaahhhhhhh:eek: Hopefully my husband will have a job by then. It depends on how much he will be earning, to whether I will need to work or not. Hopefully NOT!!!;) Is there playgroups in Ellenbrook, I have an almost 3 year old, as well as a 5 and 10 year old, but they are at school. We are moving to the Coolamon estate.

Ange, how do you find living so far out? Thanks for the good wishes. Yes it is somewhat different to N-U-L. We were only there for 5 years, hubby is from Loggerheads and I'm from Yorkshire.

Nicky x

By the Avon May 11th 2007 12:15 am

Originally Posted by leechy100 (Post 4761539)
Hi, I am still looking at the possibility. We haven't moved up to Ellenbrook yet. Hopefully we will be moving in about a month. If we don't manage to get in by then we will be homeless, aaaaaaaahhhhhhh:eek: Hopefully my husband will have a job by then. It depends on how much he will be earning, to whether I will need to work or not. Hopefully NOT!!!;) Is there playgroups in Ellenbrook, I have an almost 3 year old, as well as a 5 and 10 year old, but they are at school. We are moving to the Coolamon estate.

Ange, how do you find living so far out? Thanks for the good wishes. Yes it is somewhat different to N-U-L. We were only there for 5 years, hubby is from Loggerheads and I'm from Yorkshire.

Nicky x

It's not bad, very peaceful and frankly it's the only way we can afford to live the life we wanted with our own land and a view. My hubbie is a proper Victor Meldrew when it comes to neighbour noise, he's found his heaven out here. You've got to be prepared to drive a bit to get to anywhere, but it is worth it. There'll definately be a playgroup in ellenbrook somewhere. We even have one out here in the bush! :)

Take care

Ange