Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare options and costs in Perth?

Childcare options and costs in Perth?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 2:13 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Childcare options and costs in Perth?

Can anyone give me an idea of how much childcare costs in Perth? We are budgeting whether it would be worth me working part-time or not.

Ideally I'd be looking for a childminder in Fremantle area (do they have childminders like they do in the UK where someone looks after your children in their home?). Or if not, then costs of Nurseries.

Michelle
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Childcare options and costs in Perth?

Originally Posted by michellemac
Can anyone give me an idea of how much childcare costs in Perth? We are budgeting whether it would be worth me working part-time or not.

Ideally I'd be looking for a childminder in Fremantle area (do they have childminders like they do in the UK where someone looks after your children in their home?). Or if not, then costs of Nurseries.

Michelle

Cant help you Michelle but was wondering myself about childminders, if they are same as in uk, was considering becoming a childminder when we arrive and are settled, so would also be interested in any replies. We too are heading to WA but probably north perth suburbs. Move there and I will look after your children Nicky
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:48 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leechy100
Cant help you Michelle but was wondering myself about childminders, if they are same as in uk, was considering becoming a childminder when we arrive and are settled, so would also be interested in any replies. We too are heading to WA but probably north perth suburbs. Move there and I will look after your children Nicky

Can you look after mine too!!!

kris xx
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Can you look after mine too!!!

kris xx
Of course I can, the more the merrier
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:20 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I can, the more the merrier

C u there then!!!

kris xx
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kris maynard
C u there then!!!

kris xx

Well thats my job sorted, just have to get a visa now
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:34 pm
Happy Member

Well thats my job sorted, just have to get a visa now

Oh bugger suppose i better find a job then!!

Oh and actually get to Perth!!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Michelle
Hi Michelle

I've been doing some searching & can't find anything that suggests they have 'childminders' in Oz as they do in the UK.
The only options appear to be nannies or child care centres.
Don't know if these sites are any help to you.

http://www.careforkids.com.au/
http://www.motherhen.com.au/

Regarding costs, I read this in a news article,

'The maximum government childcare benefit is $2.81 per hour and applies to those with family incomes under $32,485. This scales down to a base rate of 47c per hour when family income exceeds $92,919. Against this, across Australia it costs a parent on average $40 to $100 a day to place youngsters in child care.'

Hopefully somebody already in Oz, paying for child care will be able to confirm how accurate this is.

Leigh
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michelle
I am led to believe they have something here in Perth called Family Daycare which is similar to childminding.
I send my 3 year old to a daycare in Kingsley 1 day per week (for my sanity and hers!) and I pay $52 per week for that. I was paying 24 quid per day in England so its not all that expensive.
Good luck.
Carole
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle
We send our 3yo son to nursery 2 days a week. We use an ABC centre in Maida Vale. I think it costs $52/day, I'm not sure if we get any help with costs from the government (probably not), I'll find out when I do my tax return.

My wife has been really disappointed by the standard of child care here in Perth. Most of the places she looked at where run down, dirty, young girls supervising & high child/staff ratios. The system is not as tightly regulated as in the UK. The only place she found that has been any way decent has been the ABC chain. Apparently they don't pay their staff well but the standard of care seems to be very high. The place that my son goes to is spotlessly clean & the staff are a bit older & my wife is very happy with them. My son loves going there as well.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My place is also an ABC centre. I agree with Amazulu I looked at loads and they were crap compared to England but the place I go to in Kingsley is run by an English lady and I have nothing but praise for it.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My place is also an ABC centre. I agree with Amazulu I looked at loads and they were crap compared to England but the place I go to in Kingsley is run by an English lady and I have nothing but praise for it.
ABC seem to be the only decent places available. They seem to be taking over the market. Maybe the non-ABC places should lift their game & raise their standards. My wife is very happy with ABC.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 year old son goes to KidzBiz Beaumaris (Ocean Reef) and I cannot fault it. It's clean, the food is all freshly made each day on site, and the staff are friendly and helpful. Their Manager is fabulous. I cannot praise them highly enough. The places I looked at UK (Dorset) were far inferior both in terms of size and cleanliness. Oh and most importantly KidzBiz is an early learning centre so it's not all about just 'caring' for them, they have very structured leaning and we get a report every 6 months. It's about $57 for a full day.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:17 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Your children might be a bit young yet but thought I'd let you and others know that I send my kids to an after school club (based in their school) and it costs $15 per child per session. They are picked up when school closes (3pm) and can stay until 6.30pm. Hope this helps!

Tracey
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:21 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention that I've seen private advertisers for child minding in our local shops. Not sure if the have to be registered though, but assume so.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.