Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare in NZ advice please?

Childcare in NZ advice please?

Old Jun 25th 2003, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare in NZ advice please?

Have been doing a bit of research on the net and it seems to be more poular to use nurserys and after school clubs in NZ/Auckland, rather than childminders.

I've used the same childminder for 9 years, but once in NZ I expect I will have to use one of the above.

I have a 2, 6 and 9 year old. I'm a bit worried about how we will make the childcare work for us. I will need to leave earlier for work in NZ , but will need to get the kids to nursery and school before I go. Plus how will the older kids get from their school to their after school care?

How does everyone else do it? Any tips/suggestions? How much is it all going to cost? Any do's or don'ts?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:42 pm
NZ donkey

oz-nz donkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childcare in NZ advice please?

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Have been doing a bit of research on the net and it seems to be more poular to use nurserys and after school clubs in NZ/Auckland, rather than childminders.

I've used the same childminder for 9 years, but once in NZ I expect I will have to use one of the above.

I have a 2, 6 and 9 year old. I'm a bit worried about how we will make the childcare work for us. I will need to leave earlier for work in NZ , but will need to get the kids to nursery and school before I go. Plus how will the older kids get from their school to their after school care?

How does everyone else do it? Any tips/suggestions? How much is it all going to cost? Any do's or don'ts?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I recently moved from Perth to Wellington and like you my kids now aged 6 and 11 have been to a childminder in Guernsey (our original home!) and the afterschool/holiday care in both Perth and now Wellington.

It does appear to be the norm for the younger kids to go to kindy however as I don't have younger kids I am not sure about child minders. There appears to be alot of day care centres in Wellington, I think that Barnados do child minders. I have a neighbour that works in a creche, I shall find out some more details for you if you want? She is also looking out for before school care as her boy starts school in September. They start the week they turn 5 I believe, so I will quizz her on that as well.

As for the after school care, and remember this is my own personal opinion and as I have only been here for just over 8 weeks it may not be everyones, anyway, I have after school care that picks them up and takes them to a play centre, most schools also have after school care based at the schools. Cost wise mine charges $5 per hour and will keep them up to 6 pm. So far, I have had no problem with the care being given to my kids. They have supervised homework if needed and get a snack and drinks. In the holidays, there are different programmes that start reasonably early to enable you to have time to get to work. (I have so much confidence in the care that I am going back to work full time on Monday, wish me luck!)

Let us know if you would like me to get a bit more info, bearing in mind that I am in Wellington not Auckland.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much.
I'd be interetsed in any info as i only seem to be able to find the childcare centre's own sites, which look lovely but are there to sell them after all.

I've been lucky in the UK, I've have a fab childminder and I've never had any problems, but so many of my friends have, and It's a worry to think we'll have to start all over again to find somewhere that the kids will like. I actullay like the idea of somewhere with lot's of other kids as it will help my lot to make friends.

It's stressful enough starting a new job in a new country without having to worry about who's looking after the kids. It will be nice to have a a positive view on the NZ care.

Thanks again,
Karen
Old Jun 25th 2003, 9:56 pm
NZ donkey

Thanks so much.
I'd be interetsed in any info as i only seem to be able to find the childcare centre's own sites, which look lovely but are there to sell them after all.

I've been lucky in the UK, I've have a fab childminder and I've never had any problems, but so many of my friends have, and It's a worry to think we'll have to start all over again to find somewhere that the kids will like. I actullay like the idea of somewhere with lot's of other kids as it will help my lot to make friends.

It's stressful enough starting a new job in a new country without having to worry about who's looking after the kids. It will be nice to have a a positive view on the NZ care.

Thanks again,
Karen

I shall get on to it later today and quizz her till she is blue in the face!

Are you moving to Auckland then?

It is definately working out for us better in Wellington than Oz together with the fact that I can now sleep with a blanket on rather than perspiring all night!

Kids prefer it here as well, they have had no problems settling this time, they did in Oz, but that is all now water under the bridge and we are very optimistic.

Helen
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think we'll have to start in Auckland as that's hopefully where I'll get a job.

I loved Sydney, and a lot of my family/friends are there, but I think NZ is the place for us too! Glad to hear you're kids are enjoying it, that's the most important thing really, that's why we're going!

Look forward to hearing from you again. It's great to have all this wonderful info, good or bad!

Karen
Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:19 pm
NZ donkey

I think we'll have to start in Auckland as that's hopefully where I'll get a job.

I loved Sydney, and a lot of my family/friends are there, but I think NZ is the place for us too! Glad to hear you're kids are enjoying it, that's the most important thing really, that's why we're going!

Look forward to hearing from you again. It's great to have all this wonderful info, good or bad!

Karen
Just being nosey, I take it you have been to NZ? When are you looking to come? What job do you do?

We are driving up to Auckland for a long weekend in the hols (around 2 weeks time), staying with an old work colleauge from Guernsey.

We have been up to Taupo for a visit and the scenery was stunning. My husband was getting very down in Oz and he is now almost back to normal, we took a huge risk moving to NZ, had not visited but came on the advice of our best man, he and his family have been here 2 years and love it. I can see why!

Helen
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by oz-nz donkey
Just being nosey, I take it you have been to NZ? When are you looking to come? What job do you do?

We are driving up to Auckland for a long weekend in the hols (around 2 weeks time), staying with an old work colleauge from Guernsey.

We have been up to Taupo for a visit and the scenery was stunning. My husband was getting very down in Oz and he is now almost back to normal, we took a huge risk moving to NZ, had not visited but came on the advice of our best man, he and his family have been here 2 years and love it. I can see why!

Helen
At the risk of being 'tutted' at by some members of this forum...I haven't been to NZ before! We're prepared to take the risk, it'll certainly be an adventure, good or bad, who knows!

Although I've done heaps of research, realistically we won't know what NZ is really like until we're actually living there. We're prepared to take the risk, like a few others on the forum. I just don't have the time or spare cash to organise a big trip over. I'd rather spend the money when we get there.

I work in publishing as a designer, and will really try to get the all important job in Auckland, but I know it will be difficult and am prepared for it.

We'll see! Who know how it will turn out. You've got to make things happen in life and we're giving it our best shot.

Why was OZ not for you? And why is NZ working out better? If you don't mind me asking!

Karen
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oz-nz donkey At the risk of changing the subject, can i ask why you prefer NZ to Aus ?
We've been in NZ nearly 2 yrs and have never been to Oz but are starting to wonder about it.
It would be good to get some comparisons
Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:09 pm
NZ donkey

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpat19
Originally posted by oz-nz donkey At the risk of changing the subject, can i ask why you prefer NZ to Aus ?
We've been in NZ nearly 2 yrs and have never been to Oz but are starting to wonder about it.
It would be good to get some comparisons
Hi, remember this is our own story and I am sure that others will have had a better deal of the cards, so please remember that this is OUR opinion only.

The main reason for leaving Oz was the heat and the fact that my husband as a carpenter, working on form work outside then on his own, just could not work in the heat or the fact that the work was not as forth coming as we had hoped.

Despite some efforts on both of our parts, neither of us could find satisfactory/suitable employment, bearing in mind that we were in Perth and the situation may be different on the Eastern States.

Despite thinking about the effect of the heat initially before we moved out to Perth, when you are in the beginning throws of a new life, you tend to "dismiss it with a - you'll be right jack!" This was our undoing!

Luckily, things have been the opposite here, despite now needing gloves etc! My husband is enjoying his work outside, frameform house building and I was offered 2 jobs last week. We did enjoy Perth but it comes to a point where financial implications begin to have an impact! The other thing we are enjoying is the ability to go off somewhere at the weekend and the scenery, whilst WA does have some really nice areas, New Zealand for us has a multitude of countries in one. We feel that we have at last found what we were looking for. I now that the grass is not always greener, but it is here, literally!

Helen
Old Jun 27th 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen, Sorry to be nosey but my husband is a graphic designer, I don't know what type of designing in publishing. But there is design, publishing and advertising agencies in Wellington and all over NZ. If you don't want city life there is these type of companies who will take on staff. My hubby e-mailed every company related to his field and got numerous job offers. he has accepted one that is full time but he can work from home and travels into the city average once a monmth if need.
I hope this helps www.yellowpages.co.nz. very straight forward to use. My husband has a website so his work can be viewed and is had over 100 visitors in 4 weeks so it might be an idea to create one so you're protential employye can have look.

Good Luck
Old Jun 27th 2003, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by stooly
Hi Karen, Sorry to be nosey but my husband is a graphic designer, I don't know what type of designing in publishing. But there is design, publishing and advertising agencies in Wellington and all over NZ. If you don't want city life there is these type of companies who will take on staff. My hubby e-mailed every company related to his field and got numerous job offers. he has accepted one that is full time but he can work from home and travels into the city average once a monmth if need.
I hope this helps www.yellowpages.co.nz. very straight forward to use. My husband has a website so his work can be viewed and is had over 100 visitors in 4 weeks so it might be an idea to create one so you're protential employye can have look.

Good Luck
Thanks Stooly,

Is your husband Mark Pickering? If so, I've seen his site and it's excellent, so is his work! I'm not surprised he got offered a job!

I'm having a website built at the moment. My work is in magazine design, although I have done all sorts over the years. Most of the bigger mag publishers are in Auckland, which is why we'll start there, but I would love to be outside of the big cities.

I have an agent who has a jobsearch agency in Auckland, and they've just put me up for my first job application, so fingers crossed. We're lucky that we can put our work on a website, it does make it easier to promote ourselves over there. Still, I think I'll probably have to get to NZ first, before anyone will offer me a job, i'm not as blue chip as Mark!

Good luck, when do you go?
Old Jun 27th 2003, 9:37 pm
NZ donkey

Hi Karen

Sorry I have not been able to get next door, sorting last minute arrangements before I engage in the world of the employed ie a final last supper with a friend! however as I do need to ask her to babysit next week, I shall go over today!

Good to see that you have found a member that is also into your side of work. I'm just into finance I'm afraid!

Helen
Old Jun 27th 2003, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen,

No prob! I won't be heading out to NZ for some months, so plenty of time!

I'm trying to get as much info as possible at the moment. It does tend to take over your life though. I'll be glad when it's all done and we're there, just living normally without all this stress. Selling a house, putting belongings into storage for god knows how long, moving in with elderly relative, trying to find job, keeping everything organised etc... it's getting to me lately!

Good luck to everyone going through the process and congratulations to everyone who's done it!

Look forward to hearing from you soon Helen,

Karen
Old Jun 28th 2003, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen,
We are just waiting for is qualification to be assessed then we'll lodge the application. Got the house on with two agents and looking at Sept or Oct. Mark is just slowing the business down and passing is contacts on. I'll ask him to ask around if anyone can give some iadeas or contacts.