Reload this Page >

Childcare Info Please

Childcare Info Please

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

bluesteele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare Info Please

Hi all
My family and I are arriving in Brisbane on 3rd April. Husband has a job to go to in Fortitude Valley and I hope to find something as soon as we're a bit settled.

Our daughter turned 3 in January 2014 and in the UK she attends full time nursery.
I have no idea how the Australian system works. What sort of care is she entitled to, costs, hours etc. What age do they attend school?

We have permanent residency visas (not sure if that makes any difference).

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Childcare Info Please

Originally Posted by bluesteele
Hi all
My family and I are arriving in Brisbane on 3rd April. Husband has a job to go to in Fortitude Valley and I hope to find something as soon as we're a bit settled.

Our daughter turned 3 in January 2014 and in the UK she attends full time nursery.
I have no idea how the Australian system works. What sort of care is she entitled to, costs, hours etc. What age do they attend school?

Thanks in advance.
This is very basic advice as I haven't had a child in day care but.... you will get back 50% of your childcare costs as long as you fulfill the requirements required by centrelink, it depends on your visa really.. do some searching on this site and you will find tons of information.. I think day care run from around 6am - 6pm but others will be able to confirm this, just depends on the day care centre and they start school at 5 years (ish) I know it's later than the UK but it's been a long time and mine are both now in high school. Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Qld Education site x http://deta.qld.gov.au/earlychildhoo...ndy/index.html
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

She's actually not "entitled" to anything at 3. Next year she may find a place in a part time preschool but you'll have to pay. At 3 you will pay for child care either in a child care centre or with a home carer. If you have PR you will get a rebate from the government. If you are temp you'll be paying around $100 per day.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
She's actually not "entitled" to anything at 3. Next year she may find a place in a part time preschool but you'll have to pay. At 3 you will pay for child care either in a child care centre or with a home carer. If you have PR you will get a rebate from the government. If you are temp you'll be paying around $100 per day.
Not true, childcare rebate is not means tested or tied to a child's age. Providing the child is in registered care and the parents are working / seeking employment / studying then 50% of the first $15,000 (per child) is rebated.

You are also confusing preschool which is free with playschool which is not..
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluesteele
Hi all

Thanks in advance.
Her normal route would be:

The year she turns 3 by June 30 - pre-kindy (ie 2014)
The year she turns 4 by June 30 - kindy aka pre-prep (2015)
The year she turns 5 by June 30 - prep (2016)

The prep year is the only free govt schooling. You can apply to start prep a year early if overseas formal education has already been completed...subject to approval by education dept.

You can opt for a kindy programme (2015) through dedicated kindy providers for around 15 hours per week or through long day care centres who also run a kindy programme for part of the day. See the excellent Crèche & Kindergarden Association (C&K).

Long day care for an almost 3yo costs us $76 per day. We get half of that back so $38 per day. Closes at 5:45pm. If you have a lower income you get more back on top of the 50%. There is a annual $7500 limit on the 50% rebate so roughly 3-4 days care per week can top that limit.

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 24th 2014 at 12:29 pm.