Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare Explanation Required

Childcare Explanation Required

Old May 12th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Childcare Explanation Required

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me as i may have to put my kids in childcare but have heard you can claim money back. Is this true? How much do you claim? How do you claim? If anyone can give me any information and recommend any in the brizzie area i would appreciate it.
Old May 12th 2010, 11:09 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Childcare Explanation Required

What visa are you on?

Temporary visa holders get no assistance. If you have a permanent visa or are a citizen then you can get some assistance.

There's the CCB (Child care benefit) where they pay a percentage of the fees on a sliding scale based on income. There is a limit though and if you make too much you get nothing.

Then there's the child care tax rebate where if both parents are working, even one full and one part time then you can get 50% back at the end of each quarter.

Have a look at Centrelink for more info:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._estimator.htm
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
What visa are you on?

Temporary visa holders get no assistance. If you have a permanent visa or are a citizen then you can get some assistance.

There's the CCB (Child care benefit) where they pay a percentage of the fees on a sliding scale based on income. There is a limit though and if you make too much you get nothing.

Then there's the child care tax rebate where if both parents are working, even one full and one part time then you can get 50% back at the end of each quarter.

Have a look at Centrelink for more info:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._estimator.htm
Can I ask if the child care tax rebate is means tested? or does EVERY family get the 50%?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Basically there is no income test so everyone who meets the criteria can get it. There may be limits to how many days of childcare you can get the rebate for depending on how many hours a week the parent working part time works. Two parents in full time would get the 50% off all fees up to a maximum dollar amount per year.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...are_rebate.htm

There's an estimator here:
https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEs...mbinedStart.do

For more info just call them directly. I did that and asked all kinds of questions and they were really helpful.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

The rebate on childcare costs are available to all who meet the following criteria:

Both parents are working/studying/seeking work in 2 parent family, or the one in a one-parent family.
The childcare centre is approved (the centre can tell you this)
Child misses no more than 30 days of booked/paid for time per annum (includes bank hols in this calc- so 10 bank hols, 20 other)

for 50pct of childcare costs up to a max rebate of 7,500.

....regardless of income. I guess the idea is if you earn more, you are paying for it in tax.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mark wool
Hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me as i may have to put my kids in childcare but have heard you can claim money back. Is this true? How much do you claim? How do you claim? If anyone can give me any information and recommend any in the brizzie area i would appreciate it.
There are two main types of child care benefit provided by Centrelink in Australia.

Child Care Benefit: This has an income test.
The benefit is normally paid direct to the Child Care company, and you only pay the reduced fee.
Maximum benefit with income under $37,960 and cuts out at $131,560 for one child. (2010 rates)

Child Care Rebate: No Income test, but must be eligible for the “Child Care Benefit” even at zero payment rate.

You claim from Centrelink, links already given by others.