Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare costs in Sydney

Childcare costs in Sydney

Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Olayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really nice
Default Childcare costs in Sydney

we have two small children, 2.5 years old and a four months old. Childcare is really my main concern. I heard Sydney is extremely expensive! But you can also have tax rebate? Does it work out cheaper? We both work and pay £44 per day for one to go to nursery with no help from the UK government.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare costs in Sydney

You don't get a "tax rebate" but there is a childcare rebate for permanent residents and citizens. What visa will you be on? Or are you citizens?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Olayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really niceOlayie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You don't get a "tax rebate" but there is a childcare rebate for permanent residents and citizens. What visa will you be on? Or are you citizens?
176 I think we are qualified for the rebate?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:15 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Childcare varies slightly between State and suburb and also the popularity of the child care centre. We were paying between $65-75 a day for Long Term Day Care for our son a couple of years back in NSW.
We were Temp Residents back then so had no CCR, you just have to weigh up the benefits over the costs.
I am intrigued by your opening statement, the 'with no help from the UK Government' seems to indicate that you EXPECT it.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:17 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to add that some day care centres will do a small discount for siblings, but only about 10%. You would be looking at about $120-150 per day depending on where you go. There is a lot of competition for good child care places so be prepared for lots of searching and 'no vacancies' responses.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
Sorry, forgot to add that some day care centres will do a small discount for siblings, but only about 10%. You would be looking at about $120-150 per day depending on where you go. There is a lot of competition for good child care places so be prepared for lots of searching and 'no vacancies' responses.
that's about the same as what we are paying. Thanks for the info !
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, due to the recent increases in fees, there will be more of a chance of getting your kid into pre-school/long daycare. The pre-school I worked at last year, which was a really good one in an affluent area, had to resort to letting some of the older kids stay 5 days instead of 3 so they didn't make a loss.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olayie
that's about the same as what we are paying. Thanks for the info !
I heard suburban long day care centres in Sydney charge around $85 per day rising to $120 in really expensive areas.

As a PR you get half of this back from the govt.

So out of pocket between $42-$60 per day. The average salary equivalent of around £20-£30 per day per child.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:28 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

really??? That seems inordinately high. Our most expensive (2 years ago) was $75 per diem inc food and refreshments for the whole day, that was on the Northern Beaches. We could of got cheaper but we were a bit picky at the time. $120 seems astronomical.
But I suppose if it is true then it confirms what my thoughts are on the concept of VFM in Australia, it doesn't exist. People seem reticent to pay for worth, they just pay what it is without recourse to value.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
really??? That seems inordinately high. Our most expensive (2 years ago) was $75 per diem inc food and refreshments for the whole day, that was on the Northern Beaches. We could of got cheaper but we were a bit picky at the time. $120 seems astronomical.
But I suppose if it is true then it confirms what my thoughts are on the concept of VFM in Australia, it doesn't exist. People seem reticent to pay for worth, they just pay what it is without recourse to value.
$120 was lower north shore so demand might have been astronomical for some exclusive centres.

And yes, Australians are reticent to get good value...never give it a second thought. Even Sydneysiders with 60% having a family member born overseas...after emigrating they soon agree that good value is for suckers and forget all notions of it.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Wee-Laurie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I recently returned to Sydney and struggled to get my 3.5yr old a place in pre-school or long day care! One of the places, her name had been on the wait list for 3 years!! Costs - very expensive. We are in city suburb and paying $97 per day for my daughter. Have managed to get 1 day per week next year for my 14month old son and that will be over $100 per day. Good job it's only 1 day then! Basically, i think it is very difficult because a) you can't get a job until you have kids in childcare and b) you can't get a childcare place because supply/demand issues and c) you can't get the childcare rebate unless both you and spouse are working, but i can't get job because i can't get childcare! Arrrgghhhhh!!!

I wish you good luck with your search etc.

We're planning a move out of the city to Hills District, but to be honest, it's not much cheaper there from what I am told and so far, all of the places for 2013 are booked already!

Oh, happy days. Keep smiling folks
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wee-Laurie
Hi, I recently returned to Sydney and struggled to get my 3.5yr old a place in pre-school or long day care! One of the places, her name had been on the wait list for 3 years!! Costs - very expensive. We are in city suburb and paying $97 per day for my daughter. Have managed to get 1 day per week next year for my 14month old son and that will be over $100 per day. Good job it's only 1 day then! Basically, i think it is very difficult because a) you can't get a job until you have kids in childcare and b) you can't get a childcare place because supply/demand issues and c) you can't get the childcare rebate unless both you and spouse are working, but i can't get job because i can't get childcare! Arrrgghhhhh!!!

We're planning a move out of the city to Hills District, but to be honest, it's not much cheaper there from what I am told and so far, all of the places for 2013 are booked already!

OMG! that scares me off a bit!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fish.01
I heard suburban long day care centres in Sydney charge around $85 per day rising to $120 in really expensive areas.

As a PR you get half of this back from the govt.

So out of pocket between $42-$60 per day. The average salary equivalent of around £20-£30 per day per child.
We will be paying £44 per child per day. £88 per day for both of them! That's why a lot of my mums can't go back to work. It just doesn't make sense financially.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wee-Laurie

Originally Posted by Olayie
OMG! that scares me off a bit!
paddyo said some places were only $75 including food 2 years ago, I've heard $85 confirmed recently, so obviously depends where you end up...and of course all prices can be halved due to the rebate. And Wee-Laurie you can get the rebate if just looking for work.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ing-study-test

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 13th 2012 at 10:09 am.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:17 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Yes...suburb does denote the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.