Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Childcare costs in Australia

Childcare costs in Australia

Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Childcare costs in Australia

I'm an Aussie living in Italy and thinking about moving back. One thing I'm not sure about though. We have two small children - 3.5 years and 2 months. We both work fulltime so we'd need childcare for both kids. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but will go back when my youngest is 9 months old. Anyway I was just wondering how much childcare costs on average in Australia. Does it cost less as the kids get older? Are there public preschools which cost less for 3-4 year olds? And at what age do kids start school? Also how does the childcare rebate work? How much do you get back?

Childcare is extremely inexpensive here and free once the child is over 3 so we may delay our move back for financial reasons if child care is incredibly expensive in Australia.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare costs in Australia

Originally Posted by gelato
I'm an Aussie living in Italy and thinking about moving back. One thing I'm not sure about though. We have two small children - 3.5 years and 2 months. We both work fulltime so we'd need childcare for both kids. I'm on maternity leave at the moment but will go back when my youngest is 9 months old. Anyway I was just wondering how much childcare costs on average in Australia. Does it cost less as the kids get older? Are there public preschools which cost less for 3-4 year olds? And at what age do kids start school? Also how does the childcare rebate work? How much do you get back?

Childcare is extremely inexpensive here and free once the child is over 3 so we may delay our move back for financial reasons if child care is incredibly expensive in Australia.
It is expensive. For full day daycare expect to pay anything from $60 to $100 a day depending on location.

You will get 50% of that back though.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:58 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Last year our daughter did 2.5 days a week in C&K community kindy (10am-2:30pm, term time only) AND 2 days a week in another kindy (7:00am-6pm year-round).

Out total costs for the year were around $9k - but with 50% rebate we were only out of pocket about $4.5k.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - where are you looking at moving to? Costs can vary quite a lot between cities and states.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

childcare appears to be another one of those annoying areas where because of the input of a government rebate, the base cost has been increased by least the rebate amount, probably more.

Housing is another one.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
childcare appears to be another one of those annoying areas where because of the input of a government rebate, the base cost has been increased by least the rebate amount, probably more.

Housing is another one.
True
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

kiwikaye - probably either Canberra or Sydney

inexile - how annoying.

Looks like we may stay here for a while then. Neither of us will have a much higher salary in Australia and childcare for 2 kids could ruin us. Since it's high quality and inexpensive here we'll probably stick around until the kids are almost school age.