Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child turning 2 when on hol,have to pay4ticket?

Child turning 2 when on hol,have to pay4ticket?

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:50 am
Just Joined

sglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant future
Default Child turning 2 when on hol,have to pay4ticket?

Hi there,
We are thinking of heading back to the UK next year when the world cup is on.........our son will be turning 2 when we are over there........so do we have to pay for his ticket? or just return flight or both or none?!
Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child turning 2 when on hol,have to pay4ticket?

Originally Posted by sglnichols
Hi there,
We are thinking of heading back to the UK next year when the world cup is on.........our son will be turning 2 when we are over there........so do we have to pay for his ticket? or just return flight or both or none?!
Cheers
I don't think you would want a 2 year old on your lap all that way would you??? Pay for the ticket and get him a seat.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Cheers

One of ours turned 12 while OS so we were not entitled to the child fare.

I imagine the same applies to infant to child fare.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:06 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Cheers
Infants up to 23 months that don't occupy a seat are usually 10% + taxes.
2 yrs to their 12th birthday is usually 75% + taxes.

This is the typical blurb you will see in the fine print of most airlines...
"An infant is 0 to 23 months at time of travel. A child fare will apply when the toddler has reached the age of 2. In some cases, a child fare will apply if the infant turns 2 prior to the return flight"
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:34 am
Just Joined

sglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant futuresglnichols has a brilliant future

true about paying for ticket...hadn't thought how much of a nightmare he's gonna be when 2 yrs old!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:04 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Infants up to 23 months that don't occupy a seat are usually 10% + taxes.
2 yrs to their 12th birthday is usually 75% + taxes.

This is the typical blurb you will see in the fine print of most airlines...
"An infant is 0 to 23 months at time of travel. A child fare will apply when the toddler has reached the age of 2. In some cases, a child fare will apply if the infant turns 2 prior to the return flight"
Note the % is on listed full fares

If you enjoy a discounted flight you can end up paying more for the child than your own seat. But really consider the better option of giving the child a seat.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:04 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
One of ours turned 12 while OS so we were not entitled to the child fare.

I imagine the same applies to infant to child fare.
I read last week that an infant has to be under two for the duration of the journey ie, they cannot turn two on arrival or you pay the child fare. So it would appear to be the same.

Cooler
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:07 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

another thing worth considering is if they don't have their own seat they don't get their own meals.

Not a problem if you are aware of it beforehand.

If it were me I'd just get the seat, easier all round but up to you at the end of the day.

Ellie
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on the airline. I flew Air New Zealand last year and my daughter turned 2 somewhere over the pacific ocean when flying from Toronto to Brisbane through LA and Auckland. When we boarded in LA, she was under two but when we landed in Auckland she was over 2 years old. Air New Zealand did not have a problem flying her free under those circumstances. When we boarded the flight from Aucland to Brisbane, she was clearly over 2. There were many empty seats anyways and she still got to sit on a separate seat on all the legs of the journey. I suggest you call/email the airlines to find their policies. I did the same and found that some airlines allowed this and others did not.
Good Luck.

>>>>>The email I received from Air New Zealand when I had inquired <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you for your email.

You will not need to pay extra and upgrade your infant's fare if she turns two years old in the middle of your trip. This is only a requirement on Star Alliance Round The World fares but not on standard return journeys with Air New Zealand.

I hope this has been of assistance. Please reply to this email or contact us on any of the numbers below should you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Jennifer
Air New Zealand Online Support

New Zealand: 0800 737 000
Australia: 13 24 76
USA: 1 800 262 1234
United Kingdom: 0800 028 4149
Overseas: +64 9 357 3000
>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by tomcruise; Sep 22nd 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

Our child turned 2 while we were flying to the uk for a holiday and they charged us as an infant going and a child coming back, the child sat on our knee going(but there was a spare seat next to us which was good) and he had his own chair coming back with a meal as well.