Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child tax credits/Benifit?

Child tax credits/Benifit?

Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child tax credits/Benifit?

Ive been told that you can claim some tax credit for children or is it child benifit? one or the other.

Can anyone tell me how much this is and is it means tested and dependent on child age etc.. and is it true you can claim this straight away.?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Child tax credits/Benifit?

Originally posted by itsasecret
Ive been told that you can claim some tax credit for children or is it child benifit? one or the other.

Can anyone tell me how much this is and is it means tested and dependent on child age etc.. and is it true you can claim this straight away.?

Thanks.
Its called Family Tax Benefit, and comes in two parts, A & B. One part is means tested, and can be clawed back at the end of the year if your income is above the figure that you first state.
You can also claim towards cost of Child Care, if your incomes are with the limits.

I'll check the location of relevant incomes, and post the details later. Not sure if the 2 year rule affects this.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:35 am
ABCDiamond

Details on FTB (Family Tax Benefits)

Full details on FTB part A

Full details on FTB Part B

To lodge a claim and qualify for Family Tax Benefit Part A or B, you must be:

an Australian resident - this means you have been living in Australia on a permanent basis and you are either:
an Australian citizen; or
the holder of a permanent resident visa; or
the holder of Special Category Visa - someone who arrived on a NZ passport; or
the holder of a particular temporary visa - these are known as "spouse provisional" or "interdependency" or "temporary protection" visas.

added later:
No matter what date you arrive in Australia, you will still be able to claim these payments.

Family Tax Benefit;
Maternity Allowance;
Maternity Immunisation Allowance;
Childcare Benefit;

Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Details on FTB (Family Tax Benefits)

Full details on FTB part A

Full details on FTB Part B

To lodge a claim and qualify for Family Tax Benefit Part A or B, you must be:

an Australian resident - this means you have been living in Australia on a permanent basis and you are either:
an Australian citizen; or
the holder of a permanent resident visa; or
the holder of Special Category Visa - someone who arrived on a NZ passport; or
the holder of a particular temporary visa - these are known as "spouse provisional" or "interdependency" or "temporary protection" visas.

added later:
No matter what date you arrive in Australia, you will still be able to claim these payments.

Family Tax Benefit;
Maternity Allowance;
Maternity Immunisation Allowance;
Childcare Benefit;

Thanks Thats a great help.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:14 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read somewhere that certain benefits for children are only payable if your children are fully vaccinated. Is this deffinately the case?
We, personally, have chosen not to have the MMR and have opted for single vaccines but they will not be complete by the time we get there.
We have also read that certain Nurseries/Playgroups will exclude children who are not fully vaccinated. Schools will only exclude these children if an outbreak of one of the illnesses they are not immune to occurs.
All a bit 'bully boy' tactics for me this.