Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child Support - UK / Australia

Child Support - UK / Australia

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:29 pm
RevD

revd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Support - UK / Australia

Here's a tricky one. Both my children have been taken to Australia to live with their uncle and aunt as their mother is mentally ill. They have or are about to get residency there. The Uncle - a money grabbing sort is of the view that he can get the CSA in Australia to extract money from me in the UK via the UK CSA. (Its not enough that I pay plenty to his UK account already, and also have expensive contact costs!). There is a reciprical arrangement between Australi and the Uk, but does anyone know how it works when both parents live in the UK and the kids in Oz??
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Child Support - UK / Australia

Originally Posted by revd
Here's a tricky one. Both my children have been taken to Australia to live with their uncle and aunt as their mother is mentally ill. They have or are about to get residency there. The Uncle - a money grabbing sort is of the view that he can get the CSA in Australia to extract money from me in the UK via the UK CSA. (Its not enough that I pay plenty to his UK account already, and also have expensive contact costs!). There is a reciprical arrangement between Australi and the Uk, but does anyone know how it works when both parents live in the UK and the kids in Oz??
Not sure about some of your points but I assume they may at some stage also be claiming the Australian Child benefit equivalent, and if so, that should be factored in when working out how much is needed for the children.
Guardians, including foster parents and grandparents, responsible for the day-to-day care of children/grandchildren may be eligible for Family Assistance http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...l_how_ftba.htm

Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure about some of your points but I assume they may at some stage also be claiming the Australian Child benefit equivalent, and if so, that should be factored in when working out how much is needed for the children.
The UK and OZ have no connectiond with child support agencies, what would happen is that if you don't pay any maintenance for your child then you would accumulate a debt within the country that the children are claiming benefits, this is of no concern to you if you do not intend to live in Australia permanently. It is unlikely that the relative caring for your children is declaring the maintenance you are paying, I would recommend you contact the child support agency in OZ to find out how much you should be paying, maybe your paying too much. You cant loose just by asking. If you are unemployed then you shouldnt have to pay anything.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:58 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by revd
RevD
Relax. He can't do that. If the children were Australian citizens, the rules would be very different but even then I think they would have to be born in Australia. I am sure the reciprical arrangemnet is dependent upon that factor.
You may not be liable for UK CSA costs anymore of the children are not resident in the UK either. Even if you are, they are obliged to take into acccount your costs for contact.
I have read up on this subject a lot due to my position. Both the UK and Aus CSA sites are useful and the guys are helpful when you chat with them so you can check it out yourself.
Besides all of this, when the rellies got the children, surely there was a legal contract drawn up and support would have been part of that.
Of course, I may be wrong!

Andrew